Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing Bar and Stem – Where Are My Bars Now
  • Premier Icon oikeith

I have recently fitted a new stem which is 10mm shorter (45mm to 35mm) and also new bars that are 10mm taller (28mm to 38mm) would I be right in saying that my bars are slightly higher now but not by 10mm and the position of them is closer to the saddle?

Premier Icon eddiebaby

What angle is the stem?

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

Depends on your bar roll…

Premier Icon isitafox
    Free Member

Have a look at the charts on here to work out Stem geometry chart

Premier Icon reggiegasket
    Free Member

do the new bars have the same backsweep?

Premier Icon nedrapier

Yes and yes, all other things being equal. Is that what you wanted when you bought the new things?

Why are you asking? Are you happy with them now, or do you feel like you want them to be closer, further, higher or lower? Do you want to spend any money making it happen?

Premier Icon oikeith

I was looking to try taller bars giving a higher overall bar position, a buddy was selling some bars which matched this but they were 35mm diameter but he was selling the stem too. After riding on the weekend where I got arm pump for the first time in ages I realised the stem was shorter so maybe this had impacted my bar position too and maybe caused the arm pump.

Thanks for the calculator links, I’ll find the stem dimensions and check.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

35mm are harsher than 31.8mm, some pro’s have reverted back to 31.8 for that reason. Worth considering.

Premier Icon isitafox
    Free Member

Yeah I’m gonna go with the fact you’ve swapped to 35mm bars

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

Those geometry charts are not so much use with v short stems, which tend not to have a stated angle (or if they do it is zero). There isn’t much scope for rise with short ones anyhow, unless you are looking at one of those zero length stems where the bar sits on top of the steerer. If you compare the two stems you should be able to estimate how high relative to the bottom of the stem where it sits against the spacer or headset the bottom of the bar is (just sit it on a flat surfact). Then you would have to correct for the differnt bar thicknesses. There could be a few mm diff in height between stems.

Premier Icon oikeith

35mm are harsher than 31.8mm

Hadn’t factored that in! What seemed so simple such as trying taller bars has turned into a real minefield for me.

Will give it a few more rides before deciding what to do next

Premier Icon isoo
    Free Member

It’s only complicated here,

Will give it a few more rides before deciding what to do next

is how it works in the real world.

Premier Icon calv145

I went from 35mm bars down to 31.8 and they are so much more comfortable and arm pump was gone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.