Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing age of vehicle on V5?
  • TheFlyingOx

Is this something worth chasing or is it going to be an exercise in smashing my head against a brick wall?

Bought a wee motorbike track toy and I think I’ve ended up snagging a bargain because it’s registered with the DVLA as older than it really is. The guy selling knew nothing about bikes and just wanted rid – was a small indy car salesman who took it as part exchange, but he was aware of the mismatched ages so I don’t feel too bad. It’s listed as a 2002 on the V5 but it’s clearly a 2005 and the VIN/chassis numbers confirm this. It’s a significant difference because it’s a whole new model, new engine, more power, moved from carbs to fuel injection, better forks, better brakes, better geometry, the whole shebang.
    It’s a fairly recent import from the EU, I’m guessing someone entering data fat-fingered on the keyboard numpad and entered 2002 instead of 2005 when adding it to the DVLA database. How likely is it that the DVLA would change the V5?

TheFlyingOx

bigyan
    Free Member

DVLA can correct information on a V5, they base age on date registered, for imports its when the vehicle was first used abroad.

Foreign registration document or a statement from the vehicle manufacturer are normally acceptable to the DVLA.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pretty sure the age changes automatically every year 😉

TheFlyingOx

Righto, I’ll give it a shot then.

Pretty sure the age changes automatically every year 😉

Very droll 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

So other than the value what does going down this DVLA computer says no rabbit hole bring to the table ? Enjoy the bike for what it is life’s too short to deal with DVLA over something like this. It’s an agency where the least dealings you can have really is best for your blood pressure.

lesgrandepotato

I’d have a crack at sorting it, If only to make insurance and future sales easier.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’d have a crack at sorting it, If only to make insurance valid and future sales easier.

FTFY

Sounds like just the sort of thing an insurance company would use to wriggle out of paying a claim.

It’s a significant difference because it’s a whole new model, new engine, more power, moved from carbs to fuel injection, better forks, better brakes, better geometry, the whole shebang.

Effectively a different bike really. Caveat volvor

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good luck, my missus was trying to get a hold of them not long ago, phone cuts you off because lines are busy, ‘live’ help emails you back a couple of days later saying you need to phone, rinse and repeat. Kafka couldn’t have made it up.

reluctantjumper

I’ve had a V5’s age altered back when I bought my dad’s car from him and it came off his personal plate. As it had never had a regular reg on it the DVLA put it down as a, ’83 (personal plate was an A prefix) rather than the ’96 it was. I had to present it to the local council MOT/SVA place for a quick inspection then send the docs off, took a few weeks. Easy to do if a bit of a ballache.

So other than the value what does going down this DVLA computer says no rabbit hole bring to the table ?

Could easily be a consideration with regards to Low Emission Zones in the future, especially as the OP mentions that it would change the presumption on what engine spec the bike has.

johnnystorm

Probably is worth trying to get it changed but as mentioned above, set your expectations suitably low. Copy your comms and send to your insurance company so at least you’re on the level with them.

timbog160

I think they are on strike now so the timescale will probably be geological…

TheFlyingOx

Caveat volvor

It’s a Yamaha actually.

boombang
    Free Member

As above DVLA nigh on impossible to get currently due to industrial action over working conditions.

I got what we thought was a vehicle tax reminder sent here, DVLA asked me to open it and send to a particular address that deals with incorrectly registered vehicle – on opening it’s a driving license renewal for a 70 year old (according to my neighbour the named person has never lived here) and I can’t find out where it needs to be sent so it isn’t just shredded (like the majority of returned mail, as I was told by a DVLA employee…)

From past experience of changing a V5 they will likely ask for absolute concrete evidence to backup the change.
    My dad bought a used car that came back showing 0 previous keepers and a few other anomalies – they straight up refused to correct anything as their records showed otherwise, even though the records didn’t make any sense.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing age of vehicle on V5?’ is closed to new replies.