Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changing a gearbox (car content)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Can you change the gearbox in a 1994 Passat without removing the engine?

coffeeking
    Free Member

I think even for STW thats a bit specific!

snaps
    Free Member
    Brainflex

yes

coffeeking
    Free Member

I dont know the car, but in any car its almost always possible to remove the box without removing the engine, though one of mine does seem to be an exception. The problem is that sometimes in order to pivot the engine and box combo enough to get it under the rails you need to detatch most of the items you would for removal anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think even for STW thats a bit specific!

Yeah but you have to ask. You never know what the STW oracle will dispense 🙂

I’ll post pics if I end up with an engine and gearbox sticking out of a hole in the drive.

nasher
    Free Member

Yes you can

And you dont have to dismantle that much items

Your suspension strut only needs removing at the wishbone end, and that can slide out bringing the drive shaft out (make sure you catch the gear box fluid.

You will also need to drop the engine slightly. by delocating one of the engine mounts. just hold the engine with a jack , loosen the mounting bolts. lift the jack and move the engine in place and drop it alitlle.

now you can remove the box. when replacing clutch (you ight as well do it now as clutches are cheap to buy. and make sure you buy an alignment tool.

Put back together and oil.

* THats the basic way of doing it and there may be a few ancillaries to remove.

funkynick

Surely just buy the appropriate Haynes Book of Lies and that would tell you everything you needed to know…

molgrips
    Free Member

Brilliant…

Your suspension strut only needs removing at the wishbone end, and that can slide out bringing the drive shaft out

Changing the springs is also something on the list, so with the struts off this could be even easier. Great 🙂

Funkynick, Haynes claims you have to remove the engine.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Draper make a cheap engine gearbox replacement beam. It fits across the top of the enginebay between the wings. A central threaded ‘hook and chain’ can raise or lower the engine. Much safer than a trolley jack. Have a look on ebay for a use one. I think mine was about £40. If you are near Fife I could lend you mine.

funkynick

molgrips… well, it is a book of lies after all… ;o)

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are near Fife I could lend you mine.

Thanks, but I’m in Cardiff 🙂

How heavy are engines/gearboxes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing a gearbox (car content)’ is closed to new replies.