Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Changes to car tax … how does it affect you ?
  • DaveGr
    Free Member

Just been looking at the new car tax bands introduced in the Nov 08 pre budget and for my car I’m going to be paying the following car tax…
    2008 – £210
    2009 – £215
    2010 – £245
    2011 – £550 !!!!!! along with 2.5 million other people.

I bought the car new and in 2011 it’ll be 10 years old with 100k on the clock. Still loads more use in it so no need to buy another car with all the inherent carbon footprint that involves. BUT Gordon and Darling seem intent on making me scrap it ‘cos it’ll be more expensive to tax and have no resale value ‘cos who’ll want to buy these higher taxed cars? You only have to look at the residual prices of the 4*4s with the double wammy of high petrol prices and high tax to see what’s happened (btw it’s not 4*4 and gets 40mpg) Oh and it can’t be seen as a “green” tax ‘cos it has no relevance on the usage of the car. Just as well I cycle to work most days so I do my bit to limit the tax they get from petrol sales 😀

more details on ….Gordon’s cash cow

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

So WHAT are you driving ? some oily old merc ?

Ewan
    Free Member

Where’s the info that says it goes up to 550? Couldn’t find it on that page.

FYI *I* drive a oily old merc…. 18yr old 190 2.5D. Feel the pollution!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    markenduro
    Free Member

Mine doesn’t change, it’s 140g per mile so stays at £120 per year until they decide to change the rules again…

miketually
    Free Member

I’ll be paying nothing. Still.

The Wife has a 1.4 51 reg Fiesta. Is that going up too?

djglover
    Free Member

looks like only new cars are £550?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Older cars kept on the road are more environmentally friendly than buying new ones, therefore should be taxed less. Discuss.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I have no car…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I have a company car, so it won’t cost me anything.. 😀

scraprider
    Free Member

in the name of the enviroment , yea right , more like lets suck the working man to death and leave him with no money more like, tax

nickc

Can’t find the prices on that site that relate to your post.

Mine’s a deadly one, a Mondeo, about 185- 188, even that will only go up to £235 by 2011

carlphillips
    Free Member

citroen C1 here shouldnt cost me much
    although my 2.5ltr V70 probably will

djglover
    Free Member

I have a company car, so it won’t cost me anything

Company cars cost you a fortune anyway..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

more like lets suck the working man to death and leave him with no money more like, tax

it’s like why people rob banks – that’s where the money is kept. Rich people can afford to ‘lobby’ so they don’t get taxed, poor people don’t have much. Those in between pay.

peteimpreza

Where on that site does it say £550?

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

mY WIFES 1.3 ohv Ka is £140 a year, My Honda Civic 1.6 is the same …

GJP
    Free Member

Mine goes from £210 to £215 and then to £245 which isn’t too bad really. If it rockets up after that then at least I can rest assured that I will have finished paying for the damn car in the first place 🙂

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Company cars cost you a fortune anyway..

I get a brand new car every 3 months and it costs me £574 per year, only a little more than your road tax!!! I don’t call that expensive…

aP
    Free Member

The VED cost is hardly the most expensive part about owning a car.

djglover
    Free Member

I get a brand new car every 3 months and it costs me £574 per year, only a little more than your road tax!!! I don’t call that expensive…

I don’t believe that

patentlywill
    Free Member

£205 I hope as my V70 was first registered in 1997 – it’s going to be worth keeping for ever

DaveGr
    Free Member

not an oily old Merc, Mazda Mx5, serviced regularly. Well, OK, might have read an slightly misleading article that prompted this !!! but I’ll still be paying more and the “guarantees” in the article about not hiking up the tax stop in two years time.

And yes IMO running an old car is better environmentally than building new ones but then if we didn’t replace stuff we wouldn’t have lots of jobs so we have to replace stuff to keep the economy going.

Just a thought, the band the car is put in is based on when it was built. Therefore if you drop a huge gas guzzling engine in you still stay in the same band and get the cheaper tax?

aracer
    Free Member

Irritatingly mine costs £65 more than it would if it was 2 years newer (going up to £80 more next year), as it’s a ’99 diesel with a 2l engine but low emissions.

Gary_C

My Focus C-Max 1.6 TDCI currently £120,drops to £90

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Changes to car tax … how does it affect you ?’ is closed to new replies.