Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changeing from avids to shimano (installation)
  • bikemanspen
    Free Member

Changeing my avids to xts and I’ve put the front on and used those fiddly washer things and cant seem to stop the discs rubbing do I need those daft washers? There post mount (I think)

Pls help 🙂

robhughes
    Free Member

Yes.Use the conical on the front.

fadda

Nope, one of the many good reasons to get rid of Avids is that you can bin the washer things!

Edit: definitely no washers on my XTs, they’re just bolted on…

jeffl

Are you using a mount adaptor e.g. is to pm? I had to use some normal flat washers on an install once, they were aftermarket adaptors. Not had to use any when using shimano adaptors.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I binned all my avid washers when changing from juices to deore. No problems. If you had avids before, you will surely be aware that both types are self-centering? I.e. Put on loose, squeeze lever till pads make contact, then nip up tight. Have you done this?

onewheelgood

I’ve just swapped the Juicys on my singlespeed for XTs – the washers went in the bin with the rest of the Avid junk.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

I’m using the same black mount this as with the avids with the washers.
    I’ll have more of a mess with it tomorrow when I have more time! I just thought I’d try and save some head scratching!

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Plumslikerocks I haven’t used your method so will try that tomoz. Will the bolts not be too long without the washers though?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yes, you most definitely do need the washers!
    Do you think Shimano would include them if they weren’t?!

They must be one of the easiest brakes of all to fit-a joy to work with.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Is it not that Avids are 185mm and Shimano 180mm? So if you are using the same rotors and mounts you are going to have to use spacers.

br
    Free Member

Will the bolts not be too long without the washers though?

Take care with the bolts that screw into the forks, too much force on too long a bolt WILL crack the lowers.

bikemanspen
    Free Member

Cheers b r that makes sense I’ll be having a tinker tomorrow if I can’t work this one out I’m taking up golf!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changeing from avids to shimano (installation)’ is closed to new replies.