Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Chance to work in Saudi for 3 years…
  • TooTall
    Free Member

He’s in the RAF and there is a standard system of secondment from the UK military to the likes of Saudi, so most of the advice re tax etc means nothing to him. It’s a different system.

He’s looking at it because it is common for his Trade and a regular thing rather than this being a job in itself, so that’s why he is thinking about it.

I have friends out there now and friends who have been out there before. Most all of them gritted their teeth and did the time, but most all had their kids in boarding school anyway.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yes I read something about that, UK service types can’t claim NT status for some reason.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

With that amount of time in the UK how would you manage to avoid paying income tax?

You have holidays abroad, luckily for the kids they’ll get lots of holidays abroad too. Don’t know how much of the extra income is eaten by doing this, but it’s probably the only solution.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ekul
    Free Member

“Glassdoor says 25K
    http://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Salary/BAE-Systems-UK-Fitter-Salaries-E3102_D_KO15,21.htm”

Na its more than that. Over £30k for the majority I’d say. And with the right shifts and overtime patterns there’ll be some guys pulling in £50-60k a year. More than their supervisors.

I’ve also looked at going to Saudi with work and having spoken to the guys that have been they’ve all said the same or very similar. If you’ve got no ties and nothing holding you back for a few years then go for it. As others have said, you come home with a sizeable deposit. They said it takes a certain type of person to stay out there for 5-10yrs. (I read that as loners/wierdos).

One of the managers in our team has just had a kid (after working in Saudi for a while) and they were trying to get him and his family to move back. He told the Director over there than he’d have to offer him a million quid a year before he’d even consider it. And this is someone who seemed to enjoy his time there!

DezB
    Free Member

Someone I know rather well has just gone out there – money would be nearer £150K at a conservative guess, his kids are grown up and he wants to get away from his wife! 😆 Didn’t take much consideration!
    £50K and young kids? No, absolutely not.

zippykona

STWers all agreeing on something!
    I think I’d take the hint.

legend
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    I think I’d take the hint.

but you have noticed who’s asking the question?

jambalaya
    Free Member

With that amount of time in the UK how would you manage to avoid paying income tax?

You’re allowed 90 days a year in the UK, 3 weeks in the UK every 15 (12 weeks working + 3 holiday) is 73 days per anum, also as above take holidays with kids etc outside the UK. Not difficult at all.

Suggsey
    Free Member

You can’t buy love and memories with your kids with any amount of money, time is invaluable!
    My best words of wisdom today…..

renton
    Free Member

I come from a broken family and am quite aware of my Dad not being aorund at the same sort of age my eldest is at now.

The extra money would pay for us to renovate the house we bought as a repossesion rather than spending all my lump sum on it when I leave the RAF.

I agree that it will likely be very very shit, having done 9 months out of 2 years in afgan a while back I know how crap it can be.

I think Im going to give it amiss though to be honest, I want to see my kids grow up unlike my father did.

Xylene
    Free Member

Renton, I would do it.

If it puts you ahead and can get your future on track go for it

freeagent
    Free Member

Na its more than that. Over £30k for the majority I’d say. And with the right shifts and overtime patterns there’ll be some guys pulling in £50-60k a year. More than their supervisors.

Yep, there were plenty of fitters/welder/sparks/etc in the Ship build programme I have been involved with for the last 9 years who were well into the higher rate of tax, especially when doing a bit of off-shore/trials work.
    Our service techs at work all earn £40k+, and with a couple of overseas trips they’ll do over £50k.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think Im going to give it amiss though to be honest, I want to see my kids grow up unlike my father did.

They’ll appreciate this much more than you’ll ever realise.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Chance to work in Saudi for 3 years…’ is closed to new replies.