• This topic has 139 replies, 80 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • Chance of quarantine being applied to France???
  • campalumpa
    Free Member

Thoughts? New cases increasing daily but not up to Spanish levels.

Have crossing booked for next Thursday. Back 30 August.

Need to avoid having to self isolate for 14 days when get home as would have to take unpaid leave and son would miss start of Y7.

Would you chance it? Anyone any insight into the workings of a Govt decision on this? Macron has just announced that there won’t be another full lockdown so looks like no problems on French side and where we plan to go is out of the way.

husa450
    Free Member

I’m off to France at end of August and we are hoping that it will be localised quarantines based on where you have visited/stayed (if any at all).

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d be either cancelling altogether, or trimming my itinerary for a “plan b” trip that gets back to England around 16th August, allowing for 14 day quarantine.

tjagain

Spanish levels are well below english levels. that was a purely political decision not one based on science. On that basis I would not trust this shower of imbeciles we have playing at running the country not to make some stupid decision.

this is why I will not be leaving scotland this year

kelvin

I wouldn’t chance it. More importantly, I wouldn’t make any plans to travel past the end of August. Once the school holidays are gone, and enraging voters becomes less likely, ‘quarantine’ will start to become the norm this autumn and winter, I suspect.

not to make some stupid decision

Singling out the whole of Spain is a stupid decision, maybe, but getting people not to mix in public or at work after travelling in a plane full of people who’ve been on their jollies seems wise. Getting into a plane full of Brits right now, going to and from anywhere, even internal flights, is reckless… unless you act to prevent any possible infection going no further than your household afterwards.

matt_outandabout

We’ve got eldest in France already.

We’ve planned a voluntary quarantine here when he returns – he’s got a fortnight in his room and own loo etc.

scotroutes

Would you chance it?

No

footflaps

We’re driving to France next week, will just see what happens…..

masterdabber
    Free Member

We arrived in France 2 days ago and are down in the Lot (Department 46) in the southwest. Low infection/death rates here and pretty rural. Driving down including overnight stop near Orleans there seemed a lot of adherence to the rules which was good. Having said that, rates are on the increase in France overall so no idea what will happen regarding a blanket quarantine or region based or none.

We’re due back on 26th August…. being retired the quarantine wouldn’t be a show stopper for us but I really sympathise for the majority who will have jobs and children to consider. A tough call in what to do.

Tbh, we wouldn’t have come over now other than we have a house that we closed down for winter last October and it needs a bit of tlc.

Btw, around 38 degrees here at the moment… the Route d’Occitanie stage 4 comes just down the road for us in a few days… a strong Ineos team I understand… Sivakov, Bernal, Froome,  Amador, Castroviejo, Tao Geoghegan Hart, van Baarle

GolfChick
    Free Member

I really hope not as my parents have flights booked mid September and it’ll be the first time I’ve seen them since Christmas. They live in the middle of rural France so no nearby cases at all so very low risk. Having said that if I was going there I wouldn’t have booked it in the first place and I’m happy to just stay in the country rather than risk either contracting or inadvertently spreading it. I’d be much happier if they were driving straight to me and staying for the week before then carrying on to see my brother and his family.

Jakester
    Free Member

We’re due to be going to stay with family in the Alps in France the week after next. Driving down via the tunnel, so very little contact with others, and then it’s just family at the other end.

I am expecting there to be a quarantine edict just before we go – not for any reason, just because it would be ruddy typical!

Twodogs

Spanish levels are well below english levels

while the absolute numbers may be higher in England, the rate of increase is, I think, far worse in Spain

thecaptain
    Free Member

Spain’s currently seeing about 2000 cases per day, roughly 3x numbers in England – and with a smaller population too. Though this isn’t a huge difference in the great scheme of things. Imported cases aren’t a significant factor in the UK at the moment.

the-muffin-man

thebibbles

Heading to France tomorrow morning. You just can’t tell what the idiots in charge are going to do as they seem to have gone from being guided by “The Science” to completely ignoring it and all reason if a three phrase slogan or sweeping decision gets people to look the other way from what’s going on in this country. We’ll be back in time to quarantine before the kids head back to school and can both work from home with no issues but you might want to plan on cutting the trip short if they put a quarantine in place when you’re away.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Not sure what criteria the government utilise to justify dissolving an air bridge but…

France in the past week, 6,466 cases of coronavirus have been reported, along with 58 deaths.

ElShalimo

It could be a coincidence but……….. the Brexit negotiations aren’t going that well and the Govt fell out with Barnier over fishing rights last week. Where is the biggest demand for fish?…erm Spain. I think it’s easy to conflate these things but I see a link.

Also, the Govt said they’d quarantine France last month. France said they would reciprocate. Where do most of our goods come from…trucks via France. The Govt backed down.

Expect more Brexshit ideological shenanigans in the coming weeks and months from Cummings’ Govt. These clowns just can’t help themselves.

Tracey

Youngest daughter is travelling through France today on the start of her months Alps trip.
    If she needs to quarantine when she gets back it will be the tent, bucket and hose pipe on the garden, barbi to cook on.

kerley
    Free Member

If you don’t want to do the time don’t do the crime, or something like that.

If you can’t deal with potential 2 weeks quarantine on return then don’t go anywhere, and I mean anywhere outside of the UK

MoreCashThanDash

There was always a real possibility that any foreign trips this year may require quarantine with little advance warning.

Anyone thinking otherwise was naive, I feel.

toby1

Keep the punters in the country keep their money in the country. France is probably next on the list, but fewer travellers go there than Spain.

chrismac

I’ve been in France for the last 2 weeks and to be honest would rather stay here than come back to the UK. Far better organised I shops and public places, people observing the rules and just getting on with life. It all feels very normal apart from the masks

DrJ

I’ve been in France for the last 2 weeks and to be honest would rather stay here than come back to the UK. Far better organised I shops and public places, people observing the rules and just getting on with life. It all feels very normal apart from the masks

This. We we were there for a couple of weeks just now, and we’re heading back next weekend, if it’s still possible.

loum
    Free Member

I can’t see them applying a total quarantine to France, there would be exemptions ,eg.for those transporting goods, like earlier in the year.

So make sure you’re carrying a bootful of booze, for your local, on the way back and you will be fine.

ElShalimo

.. And cheese!!

binners

This lot are literally making it up on the hoof, with zero logic to their decision-making

It’s completely arbitrary. Or more than likely, as noted, Cummings playing silly buggers for Brexit-related political reasons

Quarantining people coming from the Canaries because of an outbreak in Barcelona is like quarantining the Falkland Islands because of what’s happening in Leicester.

It makes absolutely no sense. Par for the course with this shower of imbeciles

There’s no way I would be leaving the country to go anywhere at the moment, because Whether you’ll be quarantined or not on return is a total lottery with Dominic Cummings pulling out the balls

ads678

I’m driving down to my sister’s house in the Pyrenees next Wednesday. If the put a quarantine in place before we go, we’ll have to sack it off.

If they put one in place while we’re there we’ll just have to suck it up. We’re working from home any way, but kids won’t be able to play out!!

bruneep

https://twitter.com/luckyma_man/status/1288788138370924546

Just do what you want, seems the gov haven’t a clue

dropoff

I must be missing something here, but how does anyone know if you’re quarantining on your return or not ?

136stu
    Free Member

Big Brother is watching you!

timmys

The original France/England reciprocal quarantine was technically voluntary I believe. Not sure if the current Spain one is different.

Personally have two trips to France in the calendar that I’m nervous about.
    – Borrowing a friends house on Ile de Re as we do every year at the end of August for 10 days. Driving down and would have very limited contact with anyone, and could probably quarantine on return if we absolutely had to (kids would miss the first two weeks of school though).
    – …and a bloody Eurodisney trip at the end of September (postponed from March as was originally booked the week Disney ended up shutting their doors). We are going to loose a load of money on that one if we cancel or move it again, so currently planning to go ahead if we can – certainly not going to be 2 hr queues for rides if we get there!

Jakester
    Free Member

I must be missing something here, but how does anyone know if you’re quarantining on your return or not ?

You have to fill in a form and presumably someone somewhere checks this against actual travel records, and then follows up (in some cases) with a check to see whether you’re at home etc.

ceepers

I’m Sat on a campsite in the vendee about 2 hours north of ile de re right now.

Ironically the guy on the pitch next door owns a hotel somewhere in wales that has just had a guest test positive! So go figure….

Personally we are glad we came out a week ago. We thought we’d head out as soon as poss and hopefully squeak a quick holiday in before anything changed again. It’s felt very safe and organised here as others have mentioned with compulsory masks and decent distancing everywhere. Ferry was very organised and no interaction with anyone else.

Suspect my chances of catching it are higher at home given the huge influx of staycationers over the last couple of weeks!

If you don’t fancy traveling to France because of the quarantine risk then fair enough but I wouldn’t let the risk of the virus itself stop you at the moment!

(I’m also lucky that both me and Mrs Ceepers have a health professional quarantine dodge if necessary anyway)

munrobiker
    Free Member

Basically no one knows. The Times had a cover story last week that said “All Foreign Travel A Risk”. You might go there and it all be fine, or it all kicks off and you have to quarantine. People don’t seem to have got this- Covid isn’t over, foreign travel is allowed but not a good idea and you might not be able to go if you’ve booked something.

Are you obliged to take unpaid leave if you’re isolating? That doesn’t sound right or fair to me. While I wouldn’t travel abroad anyway based on the possibility of the whole thing being canned and my insurance not covering it, surely you should be able to work from home if you can’t go to work?

DrJ

That’s the very question that the BBC Breakfast guy asked Handjob in the video above. When a softball guy like Charlie has you on the ropes you know you’re doing a pretty poor job!

pdw
    Free Member

We’re heading off to France today, so I’ve been following this very closely for the last week. We’re fortunate that a quarantine wouldn’t be a big issue for us. I’ve been more concerned by the impact than an FCO travel ban before departure would have on insurance. Given that we’re heading to an area with minimal cases, and we’re going via car/tunnel, I’d be happy to travel for as long as we’re welcome in the destination and can get insured, regardless of what the FCO advise.

The rumour for the last few days has been Luxembourg, Belgium and Croatia are next, and Luxembourg have now been given the Spain treatment.

I do believe that these restrictions are grounded in real figures, but the spikes that are driving them are highly localised which makes country-wide restrictions hard to justify.

Jakester
    Free Member

can get insured, regardless of what the FCO advise

That is the key point for us. Our travel insurance won’t cover us if the FCO advises against travel due to CV, so if they ‘do a Spain’ on France, we won’t go.

pdw
    Free Member

http://www.voyagerinsurance.com/ <= these people provide cover even if the FCO say no, but I’ve confirmed that won’t cover uplift-based mountain biking.

I’m now insured with insureandgo, who now provide a surprisingly good level of cover for covid-related stuff. Interestingly the literal reading of their policy wording says that FCO advice is only relevant at time of booking or buying insurance, but they’ve told me verbally that (unsurprisingly) they wouldn’t cover claims if you travel against FCO advice.

What’s annoying is that the FCO bans are due to the virus, which mostly isn’t covered by insurance anyway, but they invalidate your entire policy. i.e. if I break myself mountain biking, I’m not covered because the FCO were worried about coronavirus.

mariner
    Free Member

So suppose you live up north in the new restricted zone and you have a holiday booked.
    Can you travel?

pdw
    Free Member

As far as I can see, yes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Chance of quarantine being applied to France???’ is closed to new replies.