Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chamonix summer riding
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

<p class=”MsoNormal”>How much decent riding is open and available during the summer months? I’m vaguely aware of some areas being off limits in july/august?</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>I’m considering a self-catered trip over there but am concerned about good stuff being closed to riders, lift access, lift prices.</p>
    <p class=”MsoNormal”>Any tips or knowledge people want to share?</p>

<p class=”MsoNormal”>Thanks!</p>

gee
    Free Member

There isn’t much as you can’t ride in the valley in high season. I forget the exact dates. Best to go elsewhere.

lornholio
    Free Member

Plenty to ride in July & August.  Hire a guide to make the most it otherwise you’ll be guessing at what’s worth riding and spending a lot of time navigating.

kenttaff13

Hi

Get a copy of the Chamonix Bike Book.  Shows routes you can ride during the summer.  You can catch the train to Le Tour Balme or Les Houches for some uplift.

Grump
    Free Member

What Lornholio and kenttaff13 said!

Only Brevent and Flegere lifts closed through July and August, so that leaves all of Le Tour (except posettes), Les Houches, Grand Montets (ish, a couple trails are off limits) then if you have the full area lift pass, St Gervais, Megeve, Combloux, Les Contamines. I think you’ll survive for the week.

I got fed up reading rubbish about the bike ban in Chamonix and wrote a rough guide to just how much you can do during July and August: http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2017/unintended-consequenceschamonix-bike-ban/
    Or you could give Wayne a shout and get shown the stuff that doesn’t make it into any of the books…. https://www.chamonixmtb.com/

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

So the Petites Balcons hasn’t been made a one way loop?

jambalaya
    Free Member

We’ve been in the summer at height of the bike ban and there is still enough to do. It can all be a bit spread out so its useful to use car a bit and get used to some longer pedals back to oift / train. As above bike book is the go to guide. Also it’s an hours drive to Verbier if you want to mix it up a bit. (Road currently closed after big landslip but its due to reopen in March)

In summary last 2 weeks of June or first 2 of Sep give you the most options as all lifts should be open and no restricted trails

lornholio
    Free Member

2 weeks of June or first 2 of Sep give you the most options as all lifts should be open

Vallorcine doesn’t open until 30th June this year.  The start of September is best, then July, then a toss-up between late June and all of August (less lifts open vs busiest time).

SamC
    Free Member

I second Grum P and say give Wayne a shout. Two absolutely magnificent days last year, riding sublime singletrack. Also drove to Verbier for the day for some bike park fun

flap_jack
    Free Member

Personally I love the first week in September, but I have been super lucky with weather. Once you’ve been to Chamonix, nothing else will do…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix summer riding’ is closed to new replies.