• This topic has 34 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by argee.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Chamois Cream, alternatives or cheaper options?
  • argee

Before buying more of the same, is there alternatives to chamois cream that are cheaper, i notice that the likes of Nivea Soft Moisturiser has the same ingredients and quantities, but is about a third or quarter of the price, would this do the same job, or are there other alternatives?

tthew

Veet?

IHN

Doublebase gel from a chemist.

martinhutch

A 3:1 mixture of Sudocrem and Deep Heat.

hatter

For the length of time a tub lasts me for £13 I reckon I may as well get the good stuff.

You can probably find easily find stuff with anti-friction, anti-fungal or anti-bacterial properties and stuff that will stay on the skin for hours and thereby remain effective but will also wash out of clothing but the only stuff I’ve found with a good balance of all those are actual Champois creams.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

On a related subject – anyone know what the difference is twixt the bum butter and salvation chamois creams sold here? I guess @charliedontsurf might actually be best to ask.

belugabob
    Free Member

I’ve been using this…

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/all-face-body-skincare/aqueous-cream-500g-6837826-p-44

Works for me, but YMMV – worth a try, at that price.

I decant some into one of these, for multi-day trips…

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-travel-bottle-pump-100ml/p/0347757?gclid=CjwKCAjwtIaVBhBkEiwAsr7-c-OqBaunAvsT7RkLzaCNuuhtDTN0r_kL25aslYKyxI9PjlvL6625zxoCCe0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

But you don’t want to be dispensing a handful (fnarr) to your mate, in the bushes that turn out to be next to the (well covered by CCTV) Broadmoor Prison.

(Don’t ask how I know this)

desperatebicycle

martinhutch

A 3:1 mixture of Sudocrem and Deep Heat.

On your arse?!?

The Mucoff (Athlete Performance) stuff is great and lasts ages. If you shop around you can usually find a big tub cheap (2 tubs for £30 on Muc Off site).
    or £13.50 on ebay

boblo
    Free Member

Sudocreme is the kiddy. Not mixed with chillis/sand/deep heat/rocket fuel etc. Just applied neat.

joebristol

I’d just use the proper stuff tbh – you can’t put a value on bottom comfort on a long ride.

I’ve used mucoff stuff so far – went through 1 tube of it and bought a big pot the next time. Been using it a few years so think and still only about half way through:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-luxury-chamois-cream-250ml

chakaping
    Free Member

I find a tub of chamois cream lasts the best part of a year and costs less than £15, and I use it on my arse and knees.

Not somewhere I need to save money.

Currently using Muc Off and Morgan Blue (the thicker version), both do the job perfectly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On a related subject – anyone know what the difference is twixt the bum butter and salvation chamois creams sold here? I guess @charliedontsurf might actually be best to ask.

I think they’re the same, just different flavors?

Get it cheap at events when Charlie is wandering round selling a box of it.

Nivea Soft Moisturiser has the same ingredients and quantities

The difference seems to be that moisturizer is designed to absorb into your skin, whereas chamois cream is primarily designed to sit on your skin and reduce friction (as well as being antibacterial, numbing, and whatever else).

StirlingCrispin

Sudocreme.

If it’s good enough for my first born’s arse, then it is good enough for me.

b33k34

Current recommendation (which was suggested on here) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/beelite-chamois-cream-250g

IHN

and I use it on my arse and knees

Does it work against carpet burns then? 😉

Kryton57

Current recommendation (which was suggested on here) https://www.wiggle.co.uk/beelite-chamois-cream-250g

+1 for that.

dc1988

Surely it’s no fun if it doesn’t tingle a bit

twonks

The Wiggle own brand as above tingles a bit 🤣

slowoldman

Sudocreme is great for easing soreness after a ride but don’t think the consistency is soft enough to use as chammy cream. Assos is quite nice but my favourite at the moment is soft Morgan Blue.

roger_mellie

Cow udder cream, £5.80 for 400g.

I’ve used this. Yes it does the job, but it’s not very nice.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

the muc-off stuff is £12.50 in Halfords. Might give it a go. Usually use sudocreme (big family size jar from costco) or more recently tescos own brand nappy cream.

MoreCashThanDash

Usually use sudocreme (big family size jar from costco) or more recently tescos own brand nappy cream.

I’m somewhat confused. If you really need a product designed to protect the skin from the effects of pissing and shitting your nappies, then that’s fine, but chamois cream has a different purpose.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/uk/beauty/skin/a706675/sudocrem-best-uses/

There’s simliar ingredients in Sudocrem to many chamois creams, IME chamois creams usually have something added to make them smell nicer. As dogs are the only thing that usually sniff my crotch without permission, then it’s a £10 dog sniff tax. I’ll stand corrected when a chemist/scientist posts.

If you really need a product designed to protect the skin from the effects of pissing and shitting your nappies,

Just in case, you never know 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

If you really need a product designed to protect the skin from the effects of pissing and shitting your nappies, then that’s fine, but chamois cream has a different purpose.

It’s still intended as a barrier cream to prevent irritation caused by moist material in contact with the skin.

So not that different.

I’ll pay the extra few quid for something that feels nicer (and even slightly tingly) though.

charliedontsurf

@dangeourbrain

Singletrack Salvation and Bum Butter differ in a couple of ways.

The recipe is slightly different with Singletrack salvation featuring a little Thyme. “Thyme is on your (back)side”

The price… Singletrack members get a great discount on the Singletrack Salvation, and free postage. Some of the raw materials have trebled in price since Ukraine started, so Bum Butter has gone up a couple a quid.

Container.. you get a groovy alloy tin with Salvation.

Puns… they both have a unique set of puns and slogans.

Both perform incredibly well, and avoid nasty chemicals. A tiny amount goes a very long way. So yeah, you may be able to buy 400g of something else for less, but you will find Salvation and Bum Butter will not only outlast that tub, it will outlast it on the day… one small dab lasts all day. They are not the cheapest, but they could well be the best value.

I’m just glad no one is suggesting Vaseline… FFS… petrol jelly on your bits… geez?

greyspoke
    Free Member

I read somewhere that you should not regularly use medicated products such as Sudocrem as they mess with your natural skin flora. No idea if there is anything in it. You can get non-medicated nappy creams which are just zinc oxide/ castor oil and stuff.

mrdestructo

I wash my shorts every ride, but I’m suffering in the sub-tropic mountainous area I live in. Either with sweat in the heat, or getting caught out in the rains (today my waterproof socks filled up so much I could hear the sloshing. luckily I’d brought two pairs of socks out on the ride.

Help me pick from the following locally available solutions, particularly unisex ones (you’ll also notice some extortionate pricing for “luxury” imported goods) :

Muc-off 250ml £28.85.
    Assos 200ml £29.10.
    Dayleave Doublebase 500ml £29.10.
    Paceline chamois butter 235ml £24.
    Morgan Blue 200ml £15.55.
    Body Glide Cycle 42g £13.

onehundredthidiot

I rode ‘Puffer with a guy as a pair. I warned him chamois cream was needed but as was his want he left it until the last minute and couldn’t find any. So I suggested sudocream.

He turned up with durex tingle.

Lasted two laps.

Out of the 16 we did he managed 2.

flannol
    Free Member

Only one that works for me is Assos

I found muc off sticky and horrible

Expensive on the face of it but lasts forever.

sudocrem as chamois cream? Not sure about that lol – it’s perfect in a tiny amount for post ride shower as an antibacterial however

as above, “The difference seems to be that moisturizer is designed to absorb into your skin, whereas chamois cream is primarily designed to sit on your skin and reduce friction (as well as being antibacterial, numbing, wash out of kit easily, and whatever else).” – there is no substitute

genubah
    Free Member

I have been using Paceline Chamois Butt’r for more than a decade. I don’t go on day-long rides anymore, but I have yet to find reasons to change.

tabletop2
    Free Member

wear breathable boxers instead of a chamois and then you wont need any special bum cream?

scaredypants

I “often” tell people that one of the best moments of my life involved a sachet of sudocrem behind some bushes up on Devil’s Dyke

I mostly don’t use chamois cream as I do pretty short rides but occasionally I wish I had

slowoldman

wear breathable boxers instead of a chamois and then you wont need any special bum cream?

Is that under the bibs or over?

argee

It’s only the last couple of years with the hip injury that I’ve really had to use something, I fidget about way more now due to it which causes the need for some cream unfortunately.

I’ve bought some mucoff as I get discount, see how that goes for now, still a tenner a tub though!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.