Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Challenge Tyres (gravel grinders) ‘clincher’ vs. ‘TLR’ vs. ‘VTLR’ vs. ‘HTLR’??!!
  • 13thfloormonk

I think I’m getting my head around Challenge’s nomenclature, although it’s not helped by shops muddying the water with their descriptions.

First of all, aren’t all tyres ‘clinchers’ unless they’re tubulars?

I think I’m comparing the ‘clincher’ model (260TPI, tan wall, 355g) to the VTLR model which is a lower tread count, marginally (e.g. un-noticeably) heavier, and apparently also tan wall although I thought Challenge couldn’t do vulcanised AND tan wall.

I think the HTLR is ‘handmade’ tubeless ready, but is basically silly money so I’m not even going there.

Anyone run these tyres? What construction? For a Sunday best tyre I’m thinking I might as well go for the lightest and highest thread count, run them with latex tubes for floaty lightweightness.

Ta

mulacs

All I see is HiTLeR
    Who wants nazi tyres?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I might as well go for the lightest and highest thread count, run them with latex tubes for floaty lightweightness.

Why would you buy tubeless tyres and then run tubes?

Just had an issue with my hutchinson tubeless road tyre and counted 32 flints, thorns and cuts that id not noticed!

breninbeener

OP….i have pm you

Ian

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why would you buy tubeless tyres and then run tubes?

I don’t think the 260 TPI tyres aren’t tubeless.

13thfloormonk

Correct, the 260tpi tyres AREN’T tubeless.

Not fussed on tubeless, will be changing tyres often so can’t be doing with the mess and faff. Have enjoyed some big gravel rides to-date just with tubes.

Guess I was just curious if anyone could compare the clincher construction to the VTLR construction, weight difference is naff all, so it boils down to looks and ride quality! Will trust with my first instinct and go with the clinchers.

Ta

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Challenge Tyres (gravel grinders) ‘clincher’ vs. ‘TLR’ vs. ‘VTLR’ vs. ‘HTLR’??!!’ is closed to new replies.