Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Challenge for you, find me one of these…..
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Got a frame I want to run with a single chain ring at the front. It’s an unusual frame with a very high chain-stay, so there is a lot of room around the BB area. Enough room that I could run a bashguard on both sides of the chainring to keep the chain in place.

There are no issues with this sort of chain device are there? From what I can see it’s going to be cheaper as the usual things are getting on for £100 now, no draggy jockey wheels and nothing to smash off in a crash. Should just be simple, reliable and do the job right?

So someone must have made something like this? Either a narrow bash guard to go on either the chainring with extra long bolts, on the granny ring tabs, or something that attaches to ISCG05 tabs perhaps. Something like a disc rotor bolted to the ISCG05 tabs would be perfect.

Does that make sense and does it exist?

Cheers

Stevelol
    Free Member

Blackspire innerguard, I have a spare one if you’re interested.

doof_doof
    Free Member

As above, or BBG do them.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

like the old MRPs?

ourmaninthenorth

Have a look at cyclocross single ring chainguards.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Nice work people, that Black Spire thing looks handy. How much would you like for your spare Stevelol?

Next question – Anyone do a front mech for frames that don’t have cable stops?

Cheers!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Do I need to run that innerguard with a wheel keeper thing, or is it ok on it’s own?

Stoner
    Free Member

2nd BBG thin guards. not expensive.

nbt

Easier to find a clamp-on cable stop

Stevelol
    Free Member

£11 inc posted is what I paid for it if I remember correctly.

I don’t need to use a lower guard with it on my hardtail, but it’d help on a full sus.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Steve – Sounds good, let me have your PayPal address and I can wire it across.

nbt – There’s nothing to clamp a stop onto on this frame. Best not to ask. Would just quite like to be able to granny winch it up the Lakes/Peaks.

thebunk

There’s nothing to clamp a stop onto on this frame. Best not to ask.

gnnnnnnnnnn….?

???
    ??
    ?

scaredypants

he’s only gorn an’ bought himself a Kirk !?

khani
    Free Member

If you don’t mind drilling a hole in your bottom bracket you could use one of these with a bottom pull mech
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-gear-cable-under-bottom-bracket-cable-guide-/180699104302

nbt

nbt – There’s nothing to clamp a stop onto on this frame. Best not to ask.

What, no seatpost?

E-type front mech mounts on the BBshell, but the shell needs to be made for it

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I don’t know what a Kirk is, it’s not one of those. I just googled them, they’re…..erm……interesting.

Unfortunately I do mind drilling a hole in the BB shell, not confident it wouldn’t cause problems and a very expensive mistake to fix. I’m not that desperate to keep the granny ring.

Thinking about it, E-Type would make fitting cranks a bit tricky wouldn’t it as it’s got an 83mm BB shell and they don’t run spacers do they? I’ve fitted a few to frames not designed for E-Type without problems, what is special about the BB shell?

The frame is a new downhill frame. I usually keep my granny on my DH bikes as I don’t mind pedaling them about the Lakes/Peaks. but this is my first that’s making that difficult. It’s a GT Fury.

thebunk

I usually keep my granny on my DH bikes as I don’t mind pedaling them about the Lakes/Peaks

That’s very kind of you. She might prefer bingo once in a while…

PaulD
    Free Member

p,

Assuming the second question is not how to fit a double chainring with the double bashguard, just fit the granny ring and do not bother with the mech and shifter.
    Use your right shoe heel to kick-down for the climb, and pull it back manually by hand when stationary at the top.
    Cheap, light and robust….so there must be something else wrong then!
    Not joking…I have this arrangement on one of my bikes.

PaulD

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Thanks Paul, that could be a useful suggestion, it gets used in places where there are long climbs followed by long descents so I wouldn’t be swapping it too much, so I reckon that’s the best bet so far. It won’t be used all that often so I don’t mind popping the cranks off to swap the inner bash guard for a granny. The only problem with that idea is that it would be better with a mech to hold the chain in the middle ring.

I’ve actually done similar before, but I cut a cube of wood the right size so that it could be jammed between the seat tube and the mech to select gears. That was because I couldn’t find a mech with the right pull for the frame in a hurry.

I wonder if there’s something I could do with an e-type mech to jam it in the right position as required. Do the limit screws allow enough limit to be set to hold the mech in the middle ring?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Challenge for you, find me one of these…..’ is closed to new replies.