Chainwheel challenge

Home Forum Bike Forum Chainwheel challenge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chainwheel challenge
  • Premier Icon bounce
    Subscriber

Any chainwheel experts on today? Am lost in the chainwheel maze for my ancient Kona, any advice on replacement options warmly welcomed!

The current one (original I think) is a M569 22-34-42 and it looks like this:

After fitting a few new grannies and medium rings, I’ve finally worn out the big ring and doesn’t look like there’s any replacements out there.

These chainwheels seem to be a desirable retro item these days but I’m not really bothered. Just want something that’ll be as direct a replacement as possible and compatible with the 8 speed kit on it. Is still a great light xc bike (mini mula/rc-36) and happy with it as it is.

Here’s hoping…

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

This would probably do the job and cheaper than a new chain ring I suspect.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-acera-m361-triple-chainset-square-taper/rp-prod106885

Premier Icon bounce
    Subscriber

Nice one, that looks just the job. Any other suggestions very welcome – maybe something lighter I guess – but the 7/8 speed compatibility, same gearing and low price look pretty good to me.

Many thanks!

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

If you wanted to keep it looking retro then it may be worth trawling ebay for some Race Face Turbines (look for the 4 arm ones to keep you going longer with replacement chainrings), or alternatively have a look at getting some Middleburn cranks which last for ages too but will be more in keeping.

Premier Icon bounce
    Subscriber

Thanks for that too, will have a think and do some trawling. Matt also kindly emailed me to say that M570 crankset will do the job and should be 8-speed compatible. They do look pretty similar to the old ones and also a good price.
    Ebay link

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

$40 ish from Yankland apparently… (plus a fair chunk of postage?), somewhere in the UK might still have one as a spare, but I doubt shimano are still producing them, could someone else (BETD, Middleburn?) do a replacement 104/64 spider so you could use standard rings?

Unless “keeping it retro” is a big deal I’d go looking for something like wwaswas’s suggestion…

Or I suppose you could lop off the 42t arms, idy it with a file and just run it as a 34/22 double?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chainwheel challenge’ is closed to new replies.