chainsuck- why is it happening

Home Forum Bike Forum chainsuck- why is it happening

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • chainsuck- why is it happening
  • andyl

using the old chain?

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

No, new chain.

z1ppy

I found I got some (not much) chainsuck on my last new chainset until the chain has settled in with the chainrings.

K-Edge ACS (Anti-Chain Suck) device?

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

What’s the k-edge? Where do you get t

hem? Thanks guys.

z1ppy

What is it? It’s a device that replaces one of your HT II spacers, so that the pins sit behind the chainring, stopping the chain riding up. I have no experience of the device but am sorely tempted to try it.
    Available from wiggle

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Middleburn rings are pants. I put two set on my bikes, both brand new chains, (1 xtr, 1 kmc) both had chainsuck problems. Worst rings i’ve used. K-Edge has been fitted to the 456, but i’ve had to remove the inner ring as it fouled the chainring bolts. I haven’t had a chance to ride it yet to find out if it works. I’ll be going back to TA rings

enfht

new cassette too?

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

Suffering from bad chainsuck on a 9 speed set up. Was running raceface turbine rings but swapped to middleburn rings but still suffering, so what is causing it and how can I stop it?

andyl

sticky jockeys?

(jockey wheels not undies)

Premier Icon coolhandluke
    Subscriber

It used to happen on my 456 summer season a lot. I sold it and bought a 456 ti. It hasn’t happened since…

OK when I got my new (expensive) frame I put on new chain set but also put on my old chain and old cassette so I deduce from that its either:

a) the frame
    b) the chainset (truvativ originally then shimano on new frame)

To be fair, I can’t see how the frame can suck a chain up so it must be the chainset.

Never used truvativ since and never chain sucked since either.

No worries with Shimano other than longevity of their externa BB’s so now on Middleburn with a Shimano internal BB.

No problems at all and no chainsuck with either Shimano or Middleburn chainsets.

To add, I had very sticky SRAM jockey wheels in my rear mech for ages until I realised what was up… Swapped with some jockey wheels from an old shimano rear mech. NOTE, jockey wheels were same on summer season as on 456ti so I wouldn’t blame them and they’d have been way worse on the ti due to te age of the rear mech by then…suck on 456 summer season, none on the 456ti

Suggsey

I believe and I have no evidence to prove it that On One 456’s inherrently suffer from chainsuck. Never really suffered from it at all on any other bikes but my One One is a bitch for it happening.
    I have however found that carrying a small bottle of lube solves the problem instantly!
    One of my mates on a Peak ride sorted it by taking the chain off rinsing it in a water filled ditch to wash off the mud and then gave it a spin to throw water off and then a heavy dose of lube.
    Having since then still ahd it a number of times as soon as it starts, I apply a good dose of extra lube and hey presto no chainsuck.
    Perhaps its just down to the fact that it normally happens after an hour to an hour and a hslf of wet/muddy riding and the lube just aint up to the job (noted that it never occurs with Finish Line Wet Lube) but Fenwicks all conditions lube is washed away very easily.
    So my solution for now is to use full on wet ride oil and not to overwipe off excess lube or relube after the first signs of chainsuck.

DT78

That acs chainsuck device is crap. Lasted one ride till the first incident when it exploded. Luckily wiggle were great and refunded.

shindiggy

Never had chain suck on my steel 456 or carbon 456

Premier Icon P20
    Subscriber

Shindiggy, that confirms that its the middleburn rings. I had them on both steel and carbon 456

Premier Icon billyboy
    Subscriber

I had it with a 456…brand new quality everything on it…swapped out chain rings but with Blackspire and Middleburn (both later gave good service on other bikes) it still did it.
    I reckon it had something to do with frame design.
    A mate had the same thing with a Trek from about ten years back…he reckoned it was that frame design

Premier Icon monkeysfeet
    Subscriber

I have a cove stiffee, previously ran an xt chainset so may have to revert to that.

Inbred456

Are the chain rings steel or ally. Never had a problem with the cheaper steel rings. Only had a problem with ally ones. I wonder if the ally ones create a slight burr that keeps hold of the chain. I find Sram chains with Shimano Deore rings and cassette work really well. Not the lightest but probably the most hassle free. I can’t see how frame design can influence a chain running between two cogs.

RedOctober

I used to have terrible trouble with this on a Gary Fisher Sugar, and found an interesting article here
    http://www.fagan.co.za/Bikes/Csuck/OVERALL.htm#PROGRAM
    explaining what this chap thought were the causes of chain suck.

Basically it is old rings and new chain, made worse by rain and mud. Old chains, as long as they are running freely, are stretched and release from the bottom of the chainring more easily. New chains on old cogs rise up at the top of the cog where the pockets in the worn teeth have lost their original shape and therefore the chain runs much tighter on the bottom of the cog and doesn’t release. It is worst on the smaller front cogs.

Chain suck is all about the chain releasing from the bottom of the front rings, so I would be surprised if any changes on the rear set up would have much impact. As long as the mech is running freely there shouldn’t be a problem there – although new chains on old rear cassettes run horribly.

I have also found that the manufacture of the ring makes little difference!

yunki

not suffered excessive chainsuck on my 456 with all new slx.. maybe once per year on average.. but only when I’ve caused it..

not changing gear under load seems to be the accepted wisdom..

Burls72

Have you checked for a stiff link in the chain?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘chainsuck- why is it happening’ is closed to new replies.