Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainsaw favour, please.
  • bigblackshed

Big favour required, please.

Two separate acts of kindness have landed me with a tree and a rather old chainsaw. The tree has been felled and cut, to a point. The chainsaw isn’t big enough to do the big logs, I need something like a 30″ bar.

The chainsaw is an old McCulloch 16″ that’s had a service kit and new chain. But the previous owner couldn’t get the chain to tension properly or to get it to run. I had managed the chain tension, just about got it to start, and had a quick tune up. It’s an absolute bitch to start. But I did manage it a few times. It would then stall at odd times. Bit closer look and the chain drive pulley?? Has some serious grooves in it where the chain has dug in. Then this afternoon the starter recoil spring snapped. I nearly launched it over the hedge in a fit of rage!!!!

So, has anyone got a chainsaw I could borrow or is prepared to come round and cut up some logs for me? Beer money, kettle always on, karma points? Please?

Herefordshire if anyone is feel generous.

Thanks.

spchantler
    Free Member

that’ll be no then. i would if you were up in caldedale…

MarinNo8
    Free Member

I’m feeling compelled to assist you as reading your post worries me! Roughly whereabouts are you in Herefordshire? North, South etc? And how much is there to cross cut and stack? Dare I ask if there’s cake!?

bigblackshed

Marin No 8

Hereford City. Actually a 30″ bar would be erring on the big side. Half a dozen 2′ long, 12″ to 20″ diameter logs and then 10 ish 3′ to 4′ long smaller branches about 8″ to 10″ diameter. Probably 30 minutes cutting time for someone who knows what they are doing. No stacking. I’ll do that.

Of course there will be cake, how much and what sort of cake do you want?

What worries you out of interest?

Stoner
    Free Member

bbs – I really would come and help out but Im tied to home every 3hrs or so ATM while jr has phased half day starts at school and it’s about 45-60mins to Heref from me in the landrover. And I dont think Im allowed to carry the chainsaw on the motorbike 🙂

New drive sprockets arent too expensive on eBay if you can find mculloch parts. Try http://www.mister-solutions.co.uk/

samuri
    Free Member

I turned a felled 50 foot tree into burning wood with a hand saw and maul and it only left me with semi-permanent pains in my hand.

Using (someone elses) chainsaw is the easy way out and you’ll never feel clean again. You know what needs to be done.

Drac

Can’t help as you’re too far off but you won’t need a 30″ bar a 14″ or 16″ bar will be fine for cutting up into logs. Cut the length of the bar in a half moon then split, repeat. Got through some big old trees using that routine many times now.

bigblackshed

Thanks for the replies chaps.

The handsaw and maul is a no go ATM. My back is just not up to it, I’m awaiting back surgery with a 6-8 week lay up time.

Repairing the McCulloch is an unknown quantity. I’m really not sure whether to throw money at it. I’ve got to spend money to find out if it will run, or if there’s more to repair or replace. Good money after bad and all that. It’s been sat in my shed for 12 months and I’ve not needed it until now.

Decisions time I think.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Hi bbs. Sorry for not getting back sooner. My concern was that if you were unable to set up the saw or get it started and running well then using it was causing me concern for your own safety. I hope I don’t offend you with that as that is not the intention. If it was a tree as (sort of) originally stated or more than the further description, I would have volunteered to drive up from the wrong side of Cardiff to do it for you. You could try splitting with a maul and/or wedges to give you lengths of a smaller diameter in which you could either handsaw or use an electrical saw/chop saw. Gareth

natrix
    Free Member

Aldi are doing an electric chain saw for £55 next week…….

bigblackshed

I have spent the money and repaired my saw. Only because I found out my cousin has a new job at a garden machinery spares place. £17 for a new starter recoil spring and drive pulley.

Put them on on Sunday tea time. Pulled the starter handle and snapped the starter rope. Grrrrrrr! Too late to get a replacement. Picked one up on Wednesday. Started first pull. Then had a good tune up without the bar and chain on. YouTube and some old manuals downloaded from the Internet helped no end. Sneaky trick to starting was to squeeze the throttle and the wedge your foot under it in the handle / guard.

When it was all in bits I found the reason why I was having trouble with the chain tension. What I thought was a captive stud for the bar and lock nuts was in fact a long cap head bolt that’s only accessible with the starter coil cover removed. Allen key up the recess, nip the lock nut up, tension the chain, then lock everything down.

A couple of runs of the chain, check, Ok, small cut, still OK, cut up a big log, still spot on.

I AM MAN!!!!!!’

Guess whose neighbours will be annoyed on Friday?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainsaw favour, please.’ is closed to new replies.