Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chains on single speeds
  • Nobby

Advice needed.

Built up my first SS yesterday (Inbred) & am having troubple with chain length/tension. It’s a slotted dropout frame & I have chain tugs but there’s not enough adjustment on them when using a normal 3/32 chain.

Is it possible to put a single half-link in to resolve this?

Any other suggestions/cures?

DrP

Yes.

Though like Unicorn poop, there seems to be a worldwide shortage of half links……

DrP

clubber
    Free Member

Is it possible to put a single half-link in to resolve this?

In a word, yes though I can’t recall whether you can get half links for 3/32 so you may need a 1/8″ chain.

fenred
    Free Member

I got my half links from tredz, they do both 1/8 and 3/32, took about a week to arrive but finally sorted out the chain tension issues on my slot dropout inbred. From memory I think SJS cycles sell them too. Have a little google around.
    HTH

Nobby

Thanks – ordered a 1/2 link in 3/32 😉

kilo

I had something similar on mine, when using the on one tugs, getting rid of them and using the surly one fixed the matter

DrP

OK – so I’m wrong….SJS do have them in stock….

Though, £2.50 postage is crippling me…..

DrP

andyl
    Free Member

Charlie normally has them in stock.

cp

I modified the chain tugs on mine with a file to allow more fore-aft adjustment.

fenred
    Free Member

£2.50 is fookin’ outrageous 😯 I think I paid £1.79 or something, although planning on having that payed off in 3-6 months 😉

They work really well, just be careful not to knock the pin thru too far etc. Gave me perfect tension, WITH the axle exactly where I wanted it in the dropout 5mm out from min so’s it didnt feel like a barge on the handling stakes.

DrP

I’ve done a bit of debt switching, and opened up a new 14 month 0% APR credit card, and gone ahead with the purchase….

DrP

epicyclo

You could use slightly different ratios, eg up/down a tooth at either end.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Just buy a half link chain.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Or use a phantom chainring.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chains on single speeds’ is closed to new replies.