• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • chainring help
  • jjxray
    Free Member

Hi,
    Following a couple of chain graunchings, Ive knackered my large chainring on my Suntour CW15-XCM chainset (double – 22t, 36t – 64/104 bcd). Shimano acera 9-speed cassette.
    As a bit of a novice Im struggling with finding a decent replacement from the seeingly vast array out there. Am I right that as long as i get the same tooth count, speed and bcd that I can use any make or is it not that simple? I realise I cant use one specific to a 1x with wide/narrow teeth.
    e.g blackspire offer one that matches my stats but says its for a shimano xtr fc m980…..would this work or are there other things I need to look out for. Is there anything cheaper and similarly compatible or is this a typical price?
    wiggle link

Trimix
    Free Member

This is where your LBS comes to the rescue.
    Sometimes good advice is worth paying for when you buy stuff.

akira

Has to have same number of arms and not be assymetric as well.

martinhutch

You can pick up an entire replacement Suntour crankset (including rings) for 35 quid on Tredz.

Would have thought you could get a 10sp Shimano chainring with the right boltcircle to work for slightly less than that Blackspire one.

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve gotta slightly used slx 665 36t 104bcd 9speed you can have.

DezB
    Free Member

This is where your LBS STW comes to the rescue

ftfy

There’s no need to spend the Blackspire money. I used to buy all my chainrings on eBay.
    But you’re right – long as the rings are the same speed & BDC they’ll fit.
    SLX chainset would be better though 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘chainring help’ is closed to new replies.