Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chainring change 32t to 34t
  • darksideby182

Bit of help required I’ve changed my cranks and in doing so for a temporary measure I’ve had to change from a 32t to 34t chainring, in doing so the chain is loose and doesn’t seem to really work unless I have the clutch off (12 speed 1x setup). Now I presume I will need to shorten the chain to get things working correctly. Is this correct?

I do have a 32t chainring on order but I thought things would be ok for the time being.

Thanks for any help.

scaredypants

Is this a new chain ? Putting the same chain round the bigger ring would make it tighter

darksideby182

This is the existing chain all had been working fine. A bit of back round is i have changed the cranks for SRAM NX (32t) to a set of Profile racing cranks (34t fsa chainring) the rest of the setup has stayed the same (SLX derailleur, NX cassette , GX chain and slx shifter all 12 speed). Now the chain is tight in the first few gears but really loose in the gears from then on.

chrisdw
    Free Member

B tension?

martinhutch

So tight in the biggest sprockets but slack in the smaller ones? Is the mech springing back strongly without the chain in place? Could be a sticky clutch, there some online guides to disassembling and cleaning/regreasing them.

As above moving to a bigger chainring should make it less slack, not more.

darksideby182

Clutch seem like it could be the issue as when its off it does seem ok but when on it is loose in the smaller rings and tight in the bigger rings.
    Will have a look into a clutch service.

darksideby182

I presume this is what needs doing to the clutch?

martinhutch

If it’s fine with clutch off, then yes, you should be able to sort it like that. If it doesn’t feel smooth even with the clutch off, you might need to clean up and regrease the pivot axle, which is a bit more involved, but still OK.

Try the clutch first though.

darksideby182

Had a go at the clutch and things seem to be back to normal but i will give it a ride tommorrow for a proper check, cheers for all the help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chainring change 32t to 34t’ is closed to new replies.