Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chainring Bolt Tool – I know, I'm sorry :-(
  • geoffj

Looks like the Parktools version is made of Vegan Cocunut-based cheese substitute

The Ice Toolz one looks OK

Are they called anything else? Could I get one that isn’t specifically for bikes?
    WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY? 😥

The lad’s 1 x conversion is turning into a bit of a Yak Shaving extravaganza 👿

teethgrinder

Do you have an old, flat-bladed screwdriver and an angle grinder?

geoffj

[quoteDo you have an old, flat-bladed screwdriver and an angle grinder?[/quote]

orangeboy
    Free Member

Genuine Shimano ones last longest at work but now you can get bolts with a 6mm hex one side and 5mm for the other

thecaptain
    Free Member

The screwdriver job is all very well but what about the bolt that’s directly under the crank?

jam-bo

There isn’t one?

Chainrings that have threaded inserts are way better and should have been invented years ago.

thecaptain
    Free Member

There is on all my 5 arm cranks 🙂

cp

Evans own brand FWE are brilliant:-

Linky

ajantom

The problem with the screwdriver ones is that you sometimes can’t get enough purchase/force to hold the back of the Bolt in place.
    That Evans one looks good.

oldnpastit

These ones, with a hex head on both sides.

MoreCashThanDash

The Evans one is very good I’ve found

Bez

The Shimano one has a bolt spanner on the other end which fits self extracting crank bolt caps, so that’s my choice?

Is there a good source for the 5/6 double-hex bolts? I’ve only ever come across them on SRAM cranks and that’s an expensive way to buy 😉

Edit: ok, found the Truvativ black ones. Don’t suppose there are any fancy coloured ones around?

dovebiker

Evans one sold under various brands – I have the Park and Shimano ones too, but close proximity to chainrings more likely results in skinned-knuckles as they’re more difficult to get purchase.

chakaping
    Free Member

Finding out about the 5mm/6mm bolts on my Sram chainset (the LBS had to explain to me) was a revelation.

Anyone got a link to an aftermarket set?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chainring Bolt Tool – I know, I'm sorry :-(’ is closed to new replies.