Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chainline help please
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

This is the first bike ive ever built (frame is 2nd hand). Its all gone pretty well apart from Im now stuck with a weird chainline. Its going to be 1×9.
    The frame is a dartmoor Shine, Rear derailer is a Sram X9, cassette is SRAM PG-950 9-speed 12-23t, Rear hub is a charge disc (came of my donor charge blender). I have fitted a race face BB and cranks that is quite adjustable with different spacers but ive taken out the spacers on the drive side and is as close to the BB as it will go. How do i go about fixing this?? Are there spacers inside the rear hub to move the cassette over?

svalgis
    Free Member

You can move the chainring in either direction with these.
    http://www.wiggle.com/id-chainring-spacers/

cloudnine
    Free Member

The chainring wont go any closer to the BB.. do those spacers go on the rear?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

by the look if them between the chainring and the crank moving the CR inwards

cloudnine
    Free Member

Ahh.. Thanks!! yep may work. I have a MRP chain guide to go on too so will be close if i move the chainring in. I have noticed that the mech hanger doesnt slide all the way into the drop out so i might file a bit off the hanger to slide it right to the back of the dropout.

You never realise these niggling little things about what goes into a bikes buils until you go and build them yourself. I suppose its great if you have a massive spares box and can go wandering off to the shed and get the part… its get to the frustrating point where i keep having to wait for a part.. then another part.. I just want to ride it now as i dont have a working bike

cloudnine
    Free Member

I dont think spacing the chainring will work as its the rear cassette that is too close to the stay so the chain wont clear it. Can i put some kind of spacer on the skewer between the stay and cassette?
    Can i get a adjustable rear hub??
    Is this the excuse i need to buy a shiny set of new rims?

oxym0r0n

Do you have a photo of the chainset with chainring in place, so we can see better what is going on at that end?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Does this help..

oxym0r0n

Hmmm – not sure there is anything I can suggest. I think it might be a design ‘feature’ given that it is designed to also run singlespeed – is the spacing 135 on the back or more?

andyl
    Free Member

what are the cranks? got a side on picture?

edit: are you sure the frame is not single speed only?

Might need to go hub gear or maybe a reduced ratio trials style rear cassette? Like the ones you fit to the hope trials hub but mount it further in with a spacer on the outside.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh just spotted the hanger for the frame on their site.

Odd one. Only thing I can think is your chainset is putting the chainring too far out. What BB spacer set have you got now and are you sure the cranks are fully pushed through the BB?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chainline help please’ is closed to new replies.