Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Chain Tugs on a Genesis iO
  • geoffj

After separating my shoulder after an OTB incident caused by poor chain tension and flex on my iO causing the chain to come off, I’ve lost a degree of confidence in it – stomping out of the saddle etc.

The allen screws are made of cheese and difficult to use, so I’m thinking of using chain tugs like these from SJS

Does anyone know if they will work or have any other suggestions?

Ta

takisawa2

If you can, swap your axle for a solid one with nuts.
    Tugs etc, become redundant & the wheel wont budge.

motivforz
    Free Member

One of the screws on my IO bent making adjusting tension impossible. Bought a surly tuggnut and very happy with it. Bit more expensive than alternatives but it looks cool, opens beer bottles (which I’ve used it for – an excuse to keep the bike in my flat) and feels really solid and sturdy, being made of Stainless Steel. If you want a cheaper option then other tugs should work, although I’ve heard the really cheap ones can be temperamental.

EDIT: still got the screw thingy on the non drive side, although apparently it is not needed if you do the axle up tight enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Militant_biker

I guess the pictured tug has to fit over the outside, and is malleable enough for the loop to bend when the axle is done up. Looks like it should work.

If you can, wwap your axle for a solid one with nuts.
    Tugs etc, become redundant and the wheel wont budge.

Tugless, the only way I could get my Langster’s nutted wheel to not budge was to tighten it so much I’d have needed a large spanner to take it off. Chain tugs meant I could use a Jethro Tule AND keep the wheel in place.

Admittedly that is on a Alu frame rather than a steel like the iO – might make a difference.

IanW
    Free Member

Another one for the Surly Tuggnut, had a few slipage problems with the on one variety swapped to the Surly and alls well.
    Plus its just a nice bling thing.

geoffj

Probably a stupid question, but do the Surly Tuggnuts come in pairs? Do I need 2?

motivforz
    Free Member

I’d just get one and try it. If you have the original rear wheel with the hex head screws that go into the hub then you should be able to get it tight enough so that it doesn’t slip. You should only need one on the drive side.

If you can wait I’ll take my Non Drive Side screw out and test it later tonight to see if it moves with just one tugnut

citizenkane
    Free Member

Sometimes you just have to go custom.

sebgt
    Free Member

I use a bolt in Hope ss hub, so no need for tensioners or the fiddly little screw bit in the frame. just do it up tight and there’s no slippage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Chain Tugs on a Genesis iO’ is closed to new replies.