Chain suck moving from granny to middle – c456

Home Forum Bike Forum Chain suck moving from granny to middle – c456

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Chain suck moving from granny to middle – c456
  • andybanks

Any ideas on obvious fixes? Reading around suggests c456’s are plagued by it.

All components have been moved across from an old bike where chain suck was never an issue. Now I get it every ride.

Chain is almost new and certainly not stretched – granny rings looks OK and middle ring is possibly a little worn.

It’s making a real mess of my carbon frame every time it sucks no matter what protection I put in it.

Suggsey

Only way I sorted suck out the twice I had it on my steel 456 was new granny and middle rings in my case.

New rings sorted mine too

maxtorque

I pre-emptively fitted a frame guard to my c456, which of course, hasn’t had any chain suck issues at all……

B.A.Nana

3 of us have c456’s and no issues. Replace your chain rings IMO.

shindiggy

I had this on my C456 with new chain rings too, shortened the chain and problem was fixed.

andybanks

Are all chain rings made equal?

Need a 22t and 32t – unless I bight the bullet and go 2×9 instead of 3×9.

Which chain rings would you lot recomend?

DT78

not a c456, but my chain suck was cured by using steel rings. Added bonus of being cheaper too, for a slight weight penalty

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

maxtorque – did you make that ?

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

Looks more like he bought it from Ann summers! 🙂

andybanks

Wouldn’t mind one of those protectors you’ve got either. Where’s that from?

Premier Icon variflex
    Subscriber

clutched rear mech, sorted, as it has mine. zero. chain suck

Underhill

Yeah, frame protector? Where from? I like.

maxtorque

I made that CF protector, it’s just sikaflexed to the frame (i took the pattern directly off my frame, so it’s a good close fit)

eyerideit

Scaredy I bought one for my mojo from this place.

hora

Not happened to me but I use a chainguide if it helps(?).

Burt at On One will be along soon

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Your chain rings and chain will be worn according to the chain line on your old bike.

Any variation to the chainline on a worn setup – such as moving it to a new bike – will increase the chance of chain suck as the wear angle isn’t the same.

Hence, replace your chain rings, and ideally your chain and cassette also.

andybanks

Kryton57 – that makes absolute sense. Thanks.

Can anyone recomend a decent make of chainring? Needing both 22t and 32t.

Thanks

bigyinn

The old steel inbred’s had a bit of rep for chainsucking regardless.
    I suspect that its down to drive train wear. Steel middle ring sorted it when I had issues. Its because the steel ring has narrower teeth, so theres less to grap the chain when its a bit worn.

igrf

Kryton57 – Member
    Your chain rings and chain will be worn according to the chain line on your old bike.

Any variation to the chainline on a worn setup – such as moving it to a new bike – will increase the chance of chain suck as the wear angle isn’t the same.

Hence, replace your chain rings, and ideally your chain and cassette also.

This

Having said that, for the first time in three winters I’ve been getting chain suck with my Hammerschmidt set up, but it is exacerbated by the usual causes, mud and crap and running on small cogs at the back rather than changing up at the front.
    This time of year, keeping the rear mech tensioned by being in the lower rear gears is always advisable, as well as cleaning the bloody chain which of course I don’t since I’m out on it every day before work and when I get back and it’s cold and dark both ends of the day so the bike only gets a clean once a week if it’s lucky.

plyphon

I’ve only had it once or twice on my C456. Re-adjusting and aligning the front mech seems to have gotten rid of it.

Probably totally unrelated it was just the last thing ive changed on my bike and i’ve not had it since….

bigyinn

The front mech shouldn’t have anything to do with chain suck, as it normally happens after the chain has been through the front mech.

plyphon

Yeah,

Although now my front shifts have been made a lot, A LOT tighter and quicker, I’ve not had suck. Seriously my front mech is so dialled and shifts so precise.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Chain suck moving from granny to middle – c456’ is closed to new replies.