Chain slip with new drivetrain. Anyone encountered this?

Home Forum Bike Forum Chain slip with new drivetrain. Anyone encountered this?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Chain slip with new drivetrain. Anyone encountered this?
  • d45yth

Freehub slipping?

PJM1974

Don’t think so, it happened on a specific cog at the back. Will try a different wheelset just in case though.

PJM1974

Whilst riding home tonight I managed to get thrown off my bike twice, thanks to sudden chainslip.

The cassette, chain and cranks are barely a month old and haven’t covered more than 150 miles, plus the chain slip occurred in both the large and middle chainrings, so I don’t think it’s the cranks. It seems to happen in one specific cog though.

What’s the prognosis, is it (another) new chain and cassette?

Neil S

Have you fitted the specific cog arse-about-face?

Liftman

What type/make is the cassette, chain etc

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Bent tooth or stiff link would be the next things I checked.

Edric 64

You say new cranks ,are the rings new as well?

coatesy

Had it once with a brand new complete drivetrain, which had an unbranded cassette. A swap to a Shimano cassette solved this problem, but you may have something totally different happening.

neninja

If it’s a specific cog at the back, I’d second the suggestion already made, that the cog in question has been fitted the wrong way round.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Banana skin stuck in that cog?

Premier Icon p7rich
    Subscriber

chain length ok?

spuddle

Chain fitted correct way round if 10 speed?

PJM1974

It’s all XT, from the crankset (with new rings) to the cassette. Yes, I did check whether the errant cog was fitted the wrong way around, but it appears not to be.

I’ll try shortening the chain and adjusting the mech clearance to see if that helps.

XT 10 speed chains are directional – is it the right way round?
    How do your pulley wheels look?
    Is the mech/hanger straight?

EDIT – which cog does it jump in?

PJM1974

It’s nine speed, so there’s no chain alignment and it slips on the 14T cog. The mech hanger is straight – it’s a brand new frame too and the jockey wheels look good, I may well replace them though as a precaution.

It’s bizarre isn’t it?

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Subscriber

Cassette lockring done up to proper torque, or has it come undone and cogs are now loose? Usually needs about 30 to 40 Nm, but will say on the lockring. Basically needs to be done up quite tight.

14t I guess is the second or third smallest so at the top of the stack. I’ve had issues with an incompatibility with a certain cassette with a freehub where the top cogs don’t even slot onto the freehub splines and just rotate round until the lockring is fully tight.

Also, is it slipping on the cog or is it jumping or trying to jump off or onto it? Can seem like it’s slipping. If the latter it’s likely an indexing issue.

PJM1974

It’s slipping on the cog – I’ve reset the indexing twice and the problem won’t go away, the hub itself is a Hope Pro 2, which has started making some noise, so I assume the freehub bearings could be ronnied in which case I’ve my suspect. I’m going to do a wheel swap today with another set of Pro2 wheels and that’ll hopefully give me my answer.

Brake-neck

Adam is on the money here I think, bent hanger, had it on a road bike a couple of weeks ago, just one cog it slipped in, hanger was out a few mm.

PJM1974

It was the freehub bearings.

Have put the same cassette onto another ProII wheelset and have taken the bike out for a spin, no slippage at all this time.

I’ve checked the old wheel and the freehub bearing are definitely on their way out.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Chain slip with new drivetrain. Anyone encountered this?’ is closed to new replies.