Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain Rings, Chain Sets, Chains …..
  • Selled
    Free Member

So, the time has come to change the whole drive train. Simple question… SRAM or Shimano?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

slx

undapressure
    Free Member

Sram.

steve_b77
    Free Member

erm I've got a combo of LX, SLX, XT, SRAM-X7, RaceFace, Pro-lite and KMC.

It all works

grumm
    Free Member

I have SRAM (X7shifters w/X9 mech) on one bike and Shimano on another (LX shifters/XT mech) – Shimano definitely shifts slicker. Haven't ridden the Shimano bike enough to know if it needs faffing around with too much though.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

shimano shimano shimano. i have to fix both at work every day and shimano is always the better of the two. the 1:1 ratio rear mechs once bent are dam hard to fix. shimano saint is light for what it can do and super stiff. i have x9 just now and its fine and it works but my next purchase is going to be saint crankset and rear mech and slx shifters. its just better.
    joe x

PJM1974
    Free Member

Shimano gears shift beautifully, however I find the constant need of adjustment a pain which is why I use SRAM.

I use a Stylo crankset instead of SLX for the sole reason I couldn't source a double and bash at the time… Otherwise it would be SLX every time.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Shimano – full length outers / sealed cables = job done.

I hardly ever need to touch my bike now despite some hard useage – I dont jet wash it and water doesnt get in the cables etc…

I had x7/9 on a bike and it was ok till shifters imploded in under 4 mths. My current xtr shifters are 6 years old…. sram mechs arent that durable based in limited bike shop working…

Dont like HT2 bbs thou…

snowpaul
    Free Member

PJM1974
    Free Member

My old X7 shifters died, mainly because the bolts holding them together screw through holes in stiff aluminium and into soft plastic. Bit of a design faux pas there…

However, my new X9 shifters seem really good, my only complaint is the utterly bone headed cable handling on the rear shifter.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Shimano. Every time. Sram shifters stop working after a while IME

grumm
    Free Member

Yeah my X5 shifter broke, then I got X7s and they are now very sticky.

z1ppy

Wouldn't swap my X9 for love nor money, it just works, unlike my shimano kitted bike . Though from posts on here your left wondering about there newer kit ( mine is all at least 2 years old)

[edited]also just bit the bullet & bought a s/s h/c middleburn chainset, xt cassette & kmc chain. I know deore works but I like the life & action of this kit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain Rings, Chain Sets, Chains …..’ is closed to new replies.