Chain ring for 1×10

Home Forum Bike Forum Chain ring for 1×10

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Chain ring for 1×10
  • On-One stainless steel – the tabs are too long for Truvativ cranks though, had to file mine back a bit.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

It’ll be going on an old LX crank.

nodrog2

Running a Gusset tribal 32t ring. Tough, reasobably light and not too expensive. Looks pretty good as well. On a XT crank.

Mugboo

Goldtech here but too early to tell..

I think it’ll be fine on Shimano cranks – I had to file back the tabs when fitting a Shimano granny ring to the same cranks. I had a Hope alloy s/s ring before and that wore out in less than a year – I’d be surprised if any other alloy rings would last longer.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Been using 1×10 for a few months, all is going well but the aluminium Kore un-ramped 32t ring is wearing out fast, chain is still less than .75 on the chain checker.
    Need some recommendations for a replacement steel 32t chain ring.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

The Goldtech and Gusset rings appear to be aluminium.
    On-One looks favourite so far, any more steel rings I should be looking at?

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Surly stainless thing. Unramped with long teeth. Should last a while. As sold by Charlie the Bikemonger and Keep Pedalling in Manchester. More expensive than the On-One version, but very good.

Incidentally, despite what it says on the web page, I’m running one with a 10-speed chain and set-up and it’s fine.

danielgroves

e*13 Guide Ring here, but only been running it for about 6 weeks or so. Bit to early to feedback on how they last.

soma_rich

I’m using an unramped pressed steel Shimano one. No problems as of yet.

reggiegasket

I have both the Surly SS and the On-One. The Surly is lighter, but more £. Both are lasting forever.

wrecker

Been running a hope one for over a year. All good so far.

MRP Party Ring (?) on mine Simon. Been running it for a good couple of years now and its wearing but slowly.

On the other hand, I did have an On-One SS ring on the old 456 and despite a year of use, when I split it up it looked brand new.

krummond

I Went for a Middleburn Mono Hardcoat 34 (I think they do a 32). MBR had it as best on test a couple of months back so thought I’d try it. Couple of weeks in and happy but no long term review yet.

toby mc

Surly 34t. Had to slim the teeth with a grinder though. More costly than OnOne, but they are reversible so 2 for 1!

Premier Icon oxym0r0n
    Subscriber

E13 Guide ring = cheese

Wait for the new XX1 type rings to come out, then you can ditch your chain guide if you have a clutch mech? Absoloute Black, Goldtec and Works Components all have one out very soon (not steel though, sorry)

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Arrggh!!!!! Just gone to order an On-One ring and they’re out of stock 🙁

tk46hal

I’m using a Hope one with no issues. I have also used the Salsa ones with work great with 10 speed chains.

fivespot

Onone SS 34T here. Tried a few alloy ones but they dont last. 33T in stock only £14.99, 34T in stock £19.99 . You don’t want one of those girly 32T rings do ya 😆

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

I think I do 😳

I used the absence of 32t stock at On-One to force me to up to a 33t – and I’m not sure I can tell the difference! It’s only 3% higher geared and hopefully might slightly improve cassette wear. I wonder if it’ll shed mud better from the chain what with having an odd number of teeth? Go 33!

krummond

You don’t want one of those girly 32T rings do ya

Nice one, thought it was just me. Why a 32. I was deliberating between 34 and 26. 32 won’t give you much power when you need it and 34 is fine for climbing – if you’ve got the legs 😉

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Why 32t? I live in a hilly part of the country and I have old, weak legs.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Thanks everyone. Bought a Surly ring in the end from Charlie the Bikemonger.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Chain ring for 1×10’ is closed to new replies.