Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chain ring clipping chin stay… Solution?
  • baileyswalk
    Free Member

So… First issue with the build encountered – where’s that beer.

Pinnacle Arkose SS (EBB), ultegra 6800 crank, wolth tooth oval 42T chainring and it’s just a bit too close for comfort to the chain stay, it’s clipping the inner tube wrapped round it for protection – any give and it will clip the frame.

I guess I have a few possible solutions going round in my head and wanted to get opinions before doing something calamitous.

1: Move the EBB shell out a few mm – seems simple & doesn’t cost anything, suspect it ‘might’ put undue stress on ‘something’ due to not being centered.

2: I got the 68mm specific ultegra BB, can I drop a spacer or two in the drive side or will it then not connect with the inner plastic tube hing properly and suffer ingress of grot.

3: I’m guessing the right tool for the job is a 73mm BB with spacers, certainly looks like there is enough to play with there on the chain line.

simondbarnes

2 or 3 won’t work as the crank axle won’t be long enough to engage with the nds crank arm fully. No idea about 1.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Balls – good point.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Smaller chainring, with a bigger rear sprocket?

baileyswalk
    Free Member

I have a 38t that does fit but I’d be a bit gutted to drop the wolth tooth, don’t think there would be an issue if it wasn’t an oval ring.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Mount the chainring on the outside of the spider if you havent already

If you have, add some washers behind it.

Rotate the EBB round to a more forward position

Cant see why it’d be doing this though; a 50T compact chainset works fine on an Arkose

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fit an MTB crank if all else fails.

baileyswalk
    Free Member

How much clearance is recommended? If I take off the inner tube it will clear the frame by a baw hair – I guess it only takes the EBB to slip a fraction though and it’s disaster time

baileyswalk
    Free Member

Good shout David, cpl of washers should do us

baileyswalk
    Free Member

I thought it was odd there was so little clearance too TBH

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chain ring clipping chin stay… Solution?’ is closed to new replies.