Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain jumps/skips even after replacing with cassette
  • spacemonkey

Chain has been jumping/skipping on 2nd/3rd/4th cogs recently so I couldn’t find anything wrong other than it being time to replace both chain and cassette. Have just put them on and exactly the same thing happens.

There are no kinks anywhere nor any reason why the chainrings could be causing some kind of kickback.

Hate messing around with rear mechs so I’m hoping this isn’t a case of adjustment.

What do you lot reckon?

Ta

bigyinn
    Free Member

Checked your mech hanger is straight?

simonm
    Free Member

or rear mech itself

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spacemonkey

Nope – mech and hangar totally fine.

Skipping happens even when not under loads. Chain doesn’t seem to always want to sit properly on the cog.

Time for rear mech adjustment mayhem?

sweepy
    Free Member

set the mech up, if its still happening and you are convinced the mech and hanger is ok then chainrings might be next

titusrider
    Free Member

set the mech up properly ( or just randomly play with the barrel adjuster)

spacemonkey

Cogs 2 and 4 are now fine, but FFS no amount of rear mech adjustment is doing anything for 3. Chain just refuses to sit properly and skips up. Arse.

pompom
    Free Member

Possibly the chain rings i had same problem. was fine on the top amd small chain ring, but as soon as i rode in the middle and was under pressure would skip

sweepy
    Free Member

Thinking about it, when I had a similar problen it turned out to be the cable inner binding in the outer and stopping it moving freely. New cables are seldom a bad move.

P20

Are the jockey wheels ok?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Play in the freehub?

Gary_C

I had exactly the same issue on mine & i’d replaced the chainrings & set the indexing corrrectly too. The drivetrain was worn so that was the reason to replace it all, the skipping in 2/3/4/ & 5 was happening before the drivetrain replacement, & the damn thing was still happening afterwards. It would only happen though, when putting a lot of pressure through the pedals, i.e. going uphill, or having to plough through a techy section.

So, replaced the inner & outer cables, set the indexing perfectly & guess what??

It still did it! FFS!!

A further inspection revealed one tooth was broken off on the top jockey wheel. Fitted a spare & problem soLved!! 🙂

So not saying that will cure yours, but worth checking the jockey wheels ime.

EDIT:P20 summed it up in one line!

olympus
    Free Member

I had a similar problem to this and while it may not be the same cause I thought I should throw it out there.

My skipping was caused by the gear cable running to close to the bottom bracket, causing the cable to nip when the rear sus flexed, which in turn caused the gears to jump up the cassette and then back down as you stood up. If you’ve had new inners and outers fitted then this may be the cause.

Just my 2p 😀

spacemonkey

Hmm, more arse biscuits. Jockey wheels fine. Cables fine.

Tried another wheel (with new and old chain/cassette combos) and no skipping at all. But that wheel is properly buckled so not going to be using that as a short-term measure. And the Hope freehub is yonks old, but not causing a problem. And there’s a fair amount of play too.

Put original wheel back on and the skipping reappears. Freehub seems okay and there’s no play.

Doing my head in. LBS jobby methinks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain jumps/skips even after replacing with cassette’ is closed to new replies.