Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Chain guide recommendations
  • dlb80
    Free Member

Anyone with any experiance of using the superstar chain guide with 1×11? Or does anyone have any recomendations, preferably iscg. Cheers

austy
    Free Member

I have had a e13 xcx chain guide firstly on a rockhopper which was 1×9 which was moved onto a yeti SB66 which was converted to 1×11 Shimano XT still working a treat. They do an ISCG version I’m sure.

honourablegeorge

Wolf tooth and OneUp are doing very light minimalist 1x guides.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have an E13 and a Superstar one, there seems very little difference in quality between the two

stevied
    Free Member

Just fitted a OneUp one. Very neat and lightweight. Mine is the direct mount one but their ISG ones can be fitted without removing the crank IIRC

kayak23

Blackspire Trail X is very good, very light. The Taco has come in handy on several occasions.

dlb80
    Free Member

Thanks all. I had looked at the “one up” which i like but prefer the price of the superstar. its just they say its for 9 and 10 speed. Podge are you running it with 1×11?. Cheers

thepodge
    Free Member

Mine are both 10 speed, cant really see why they wouldn’t work with 11.

Chainline is adjustable via washers and the angle doesn’t change much so close to the chainring so I would imagine you’d be fine.

My E13 top guide is cracked and the replacement is more expensive than a whole new Superstar guide, I have no second thoughts on replacing the whole lot if / when it dies.

greyspoke
    Free Member

One-up do a combined chainguide and bash protector, and it works down to 28t (Superstar says theirs’ go down to 32t). The cost starts to look not so silly if you compare it with two devices. Though the recent exchange rate movement hasn’t helped.

http://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/all-products/products/bashguide-iscg05

Just ordered one, so can’t say if it is any good yet.

stevied
    Free Member
    jambalaya
    Free Member

I use Blackspire on my 2×10 – works well

As an aside is a chain guide really needed on a 1x setup ? I thought part of the benefit was better chain tension / retention ?

Kahurangi

Don’t forget 77 Designs, who have been doing the minimalist guides for a while now.

IIRC the wolftoth one is actually licenced from 77 Designs.

kiwijohn

Older E13’s can crack if you use the wrong lube. I think they’ve changed their plastic now.
    I got the One Up, which works great , but I wish I got the bash version.
    NW chainrings are great for a while until the teeth wear a bit but they’re not worn out.

elliptic
    Free Member

As an aside is a chain guide really needed on a 1x setup ? I thought part of the benefit was better chain tension / retention ?

Depends, many people do without, but I still get occasional chain drops on chattery fast/rocky stuff especially when the chain & rings are a bit worn. Less so on the hardtail than the FS though.

chrisdeve
    Free Member

The superstar plasma chainguide is nice and definitely works.

However, they do not sell replacements jockey wheels anymore and I couldn’t find any compatible ones elsewhere.

My best solution/bodge was to file the jockey wheel teeth off entirely to create a smoothish surface.

So – limited lifespan. I won’t buy another.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Depends, many people do without, but I still get occasional chain drops on chattery fast/rocky stuff especially when the chain & rings are a bit worn. Less so on the hardtail than the FS though.
    I find I get drops *sometimes* when in 9th or 10th and going over rocky stuff. I guess the combination of a non-straight chainline and chain tension at a minimum is what does it. That is with a fat thin chainring and a clutch mech. Nowhere near as much of a problem as when running 2x though.

I am hoping a minimal guide will do enough to stop this and I won’t need a massive dh style roller jobbie.

ETA probably exacerbated by my use of silly small chainrings, no doubt if I was to man up and run a 36t then I would be in a straighter chainline more of the time.

thepodge
    Free Member

chrisdeve – So – limited lifespan. I won’t buy another.

But what do other brands charge for the bottom roller? If its like the top guide and more than a full Superstar guide then you’re still better off with the Superstar.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Chain guide recommendations’ is closed to new replies.