Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Chain guide, do I need one?
  • thorpie
    Free Member

Ordered a MRP chain guide when I ordered my Orange Four, question is now I have it do I need it? It does seem to catch a little when selecting the larger sprockets on the rear cassette (I also opted for the 11-46t cassette!). In terms of my riding it’s mainly xc and trails, not into beefy stuff or I would have got a Five.
    Trevor.

deadkenny
    Free Member

1x at the front?

If so (and assuming it’s a narrow wide chainring, and clutch mech), then no. Rare I drop a chain these days with 1x and no guide used. That said, when the n/w chainring wears down a lot, it will start dropping. It’ll make you think you need a guide, but you just need a new chainring.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Does your chain fall off often?
    If your racing, I’d say yes, a dropped chain can knacker your race, normal trail riding, depends how often you drop your chain really. I use one, but that’s more to do with being to tight to replace worn n/w rings.

tomhoward

I haven’t dropped a chain since getting NWs and clutch mechs, 3.5 years ago. Everything from hardtails to enduro gnarpoons, canal towpaths to bike parks. Races too.

YMMV

stevextc
    Free Member

1x at the front?

If so (and assuming it’s a narrow wide chainring, and clutch mech), then no. Rare I drop a chain these days with 1x and no guide used. That said, when the n/w chainring wears down a lot, it will start dropping. It’ll make you think you need a guide, but you just need a new chainring.

+1 … spent an hour doing nothing but jump at a bike park last Sunday… got back to the car and had forgot to put the clutch on….

thorpie
    Free Member

Yeah 1x up front. Very rarely drop chains.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Chain guide, do I need one?’ is closed to new replies.