Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chain dropping down new cassette while spinning backwards ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Just fitted a new sunrace 11-42T cassette and new kmc chain to my ramin 3+, but if i pedal or spin the cranks backwards the chain drops down the cassette ? … Ive had the EBB and BB out to clean and fitted spacers etc as before , but chain line doesnt look right ?? …. EBB cant move across anymore to improve chain line etc
    any ideas ?

scotroutes

Seems to be a fairly common occurrence with 1x systems.

As the chain wears in, it might disappear.

You could also try moving any BB spacers to the NDS.

Or adding a spacer to your chainring to move it in a tad.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t backpedal…

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Don’t backpedal…

was waiting for someone to say that 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

I like to think I can deliver.

Seriously tho…It reminds me of people bringing bikes with rim brakes back in because the brakes squealed when you push them backwards…

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

hardly the same as spinning the cranks a little to clip in and it dropping down ?
    just never had the issue with the standard 11-36t ?

mysterymove
    Free Member

I found mine did started doing this and the cause was a sticky clutch on the rear mech. Free it off and it’s all good again.

Might be worth a try?

Poopscoop

Yeah, very common and chainline is often the variable (but common) reason it seems.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems common with shimano 1×11

swanny853

Mine did it a bit when new with the sunrace but largely seemed to settle down after that. Oddly didn’t do it with an xt cassette plus 42t expander (same model of chainring).

stevextc
    Free Member

Unless your cleaning the bike this isn’t such a big deal really….
    Seems to happen when rear cog is bigger than chainwheel as the chainwheel is acting like a rear mech….

If you are really fussed using a SRAM chain can fix/alleviate but I found in practice it’s more annoying knowing it’s happening than detrimental to riding.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chain dropping down new cassette while spinning backwards ?’ is closed to new replies.