Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Chain Devices
  • doof205
    Free Member

I’m trying to figure out which chain device is suitable for my bike. Can anyone help?

It’s a 2012 Trek Remedy 9 with 42/32/24t front chainrings and it has 03 ISCG mounts.

I was thinking something like this – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-chain-guide-iscg-mount/

Looks nice and simple but before I spend £40 I thought i’d see if anyone could confirm it will fit?

Thanks,

Lewis

chiefgrooveguru

No, you’d need something that works with a triple chainring set-up. That chainguide (and most chainguides) are for single chainring.

ritchic
    Free Member

That 1 won’t work in my opinion as you will still have your front mech. And that one is to kind of take the place of front mech

gonzy
    Free Member

i would’ve suggested a blackspire stinger but it only works up to a max size of 40t
    maybe try one of these instead…
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bionicon/cguide-v02-ec040588

Milkie
    Free Member

These work well:

Compatible with single, double and triple chainring setups. Quiet and it works.

Cheezpleez

Yup, I reckon Bionicon or similar is the answer

doof205
    Free Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll go with the simple bionicon setup.

I was hoping the XTR Shadow mech would stop chain slap but there’s plenty of paint chips that say otherwise!

BillOddie

Inner tube round chainstay?

BillOddie

Or sticky velcro…

BadlyWiredDog

Compatible with single, double and triple chainring setups. Quiet and it works.

I found the plastic guide-tube wore very quickly in the Peak – maybe the grit – also check online for fitting instructions and use three rather than two zip-ties and bear in mind you need to lengthen the chain slightly to compensate for the extra distortion in the chain path. It’s not the toughest thing out there, but it’s very light and does okay ime.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I was hoping the XTR Shadow mech would stop chain slap but there’s plenty of paint chips that say otherwise!

Some thing like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18092

jairaj

Its the Shadow Plus version of Shimano rear mechs that have the clutch to stop chain slap.

The Shadow (non plus) is simply designed to stay more in board and less likely to get rock strikes.

doof205
    Free Member

Sorry I meant shadow plus. It’s got the clutch and you can feel the difference but it appears not to be strong enough to stop chain slap.

jairaj

Have you tried adjusting the clutch strength?use this guide

or check chain length is correct. If everything is fine then I think a Bionicon style chain device is the way forward.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Chain Devices’ is closed to new replies.