Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chain breaker tool
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Always had a chain tool on my topeak hexus but I now opt to carry a topeak mini rocket ratchet and for the first time in about 8 years I snapped a chain. Luckily wasn’t alone so no big deal but I’d now like a minimalist chain tool that I can pack when I feel the need. I’ve got a heavy duty one for home use so not looking for anything burly. I really like a good quality tool so a fan of birzman and lezyne etc.

smashit
    Free Member
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve yet to google it, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the chain tool in my PX Shimano tool kit might not work with my 2×11-speed chain on the 13-month old road bike, which must need changing soon given it’s done ~3000 miles.

CraigW
    Free Member

Park CT5. Its small enough, and works fine.

kcal

Think I still have a Ritchey CPR (Compact Pocket Rescue) tool – that has a minimal chain breaker tool integrated.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

On my bucket list!

Pack Pliers – Master Link Combo Pliers

or, if you insist on removing actual pins, Topeak make a compact chain tool.

benman
    Free Member

Park CT-5 is brilliant

boriselbrus
    Free Member

On my bucket list!

Pack Pliers – Master Link Combo Pliers

or, if you insist on removing actual pins, Topeak make a compact chain tool.

A great bit of kit, but how does that help you remove the broken plate so you can use a quick link?

daern
    Free Member

I carry a Topeak Mini 20 Pro and I’m always amazed by how much stuff they managed to cram into such a small tool. The chain tool, while not being as ergonomically simple as a dedicated tool, is perfectly good for trail-side repairs where you typically just want to push out the pin for a busted plate and replace with a quick link. Highly recommended.

I appreciate you already have a multi-tool without a chain breaker, but TBH, it might be worth the switch.

kraken2345
    Free Member

Another vote for the park CT-5

Del

ct-5. as good as many workshop tools.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Brilliant I’ll go for the park ct-5, much appreciated!

imnotverygood

Stupid question: Why would a chain tool not be suitable for 11 speed?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chain breaker tool’ is closed to new replies.