Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chain at 0.75…..replace or ride it to death?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Found my chain checker thingy and thought I’d hold it up to my bikes. Was disappointed when the checker fell through my chain at 0.5. At 0.75 it just goes through with some pressure.

Bike was new in Feb last year. According to Strava I’ve covered 1700km in that time, but an embarrassing amount of that was with uplift so no real wear on the chain.

Replace now and hope for the best or run it into the ground and replace sram cassette with a sunrace offering that doesn’t yet exist?

breadcrumb

I’d slap a new chain on. Maybe when it gets to the third chain I’d let it run on, or start to rotate the 3 chains.

bigyan
    Free Member

I would stick a new chain on and test ride, it will either slip or it wont.

If it slips and you want to ride the drivetrain to destruction just refit the old chain.

mboy
    Free Member

Replace now (and every time the chain gets to 0.75%) and you’ll get several chains to a cassette (my record was 5 chains and around 3,000 miles off road on a SRAM XG-1195 cassette)…

Leave it and you’ll be replacing the cassette too at the same time!

thepurist

FWIW my Park tool is set to 0.75/1.0 so I’ve always changed chains at 0.75 and at 1.0 I leave it to run into the ground.  Not been killed to death by my drivetrain yet.

joebristol

If it’s a steel Sram cassette and that was the first chain I reckon a new chain will probably mesh just fine.

jonnyboi

0.75? replace the chain and ride on

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ive noted chain checkers vary between makes. I measured a new chain with mine and its about 0.75 with a park chain tool. So I run mine to about 0.9-1.0. Not had a problem. When you change it measure the new chain to see what you checker thinks and add 0.25 would be my advice. When Ive run a chainset to death the only issue was I had to keep increasing the B tension screw.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chain at 0.75…..replace or ride it to death?’ is closed to new replies.