• This topic has 58 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by alric.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Ch 4 now – British workers wanted…
  • chewkw
    Free Member

The only constant is change so what’s the hype? 😆

crosshair
    Free Member

Ref food rotting in fields article-

accelerated a trend which had been apparent five years earlier.

So actually not a Brexit issue.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Agree with Jamie.

frankconway

The reality is beginning to dawn – let’s hope it’s not too late.

The 27 have no interest in cutting any slack for the UK; why should they?

A simple example…….re-writing trade relationships with EU members will be difficult; consider imports from China which are shipped to Rotterdam to break bulk and then trans-ship to UK. Currently seamless. That will change and the costs will be dumped onto the goods being trans-shipped. This takes no account of the physical infrastructure changes required at Rotterdam to facilitate this; where will those charges be imposed?

Pan-european organisations with HQ in UK; they will move.
    Research funding for UK unis?

What a mess with generally incompetent politicos wittering on and attempting to retain their current positions; failing to recognise the weakness of their negotiating stance; clearly believing that talking long and loud about a glorious future will make it a reality.
    Deluded fools.

Pass the sick bag.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just for the sake of accuracy re fruit and crop picking.This sort of work hasn’t been done by British folk for many,many years. Prior to the more recent large scale migration of workers from the EU, workers mainly from Europe came here on temporary work visas under the Seasonal Agricultural Workers Scheme to do that sort of work and have done so since the end of WW2. It was scrapped in 2013 because of the availability of large numbers of workers/migrants.

DrJ

@wobbliscott, indeed much scaremongering. My partner (we where not married at the time) lived in the US for 3 years with me and our kids, one born there and therefore a US citizen.

And where did she work? Who paid her medical bills? Who put money aside for her pension?

mt
    Free Member

its a cold sunny day outside, happy arguing. I’m out ont bike.

kerley
    Free Member

I wish I was getting £10/hour! About £8

I wish you were too (and anybody else on less than £10 an hour)

Easy enough to make it happen if companies actually wanted to. Up the pay of the lowest in company, freeze the pay for the higher earners in the company. When done transparently you find that the higher earners are happy with that happening.

scotroutes

I wish you were too (and anybody else on less than £10 an hour)

Easy enough to make it happen if companies actually wanted to. Up the pay of the lowest in company, freeze the pay for the higher earners in the companyIn the company I work for, no one earns £10 or more per hour.

kerley
    Free Member

In the company I work for, no one earns £10 or more per hour.

What is the business and how many people are in the company as that sounds bizarre.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

The company i work for no one earns *less* than about £10 an hour (dependant on exchange rates of course.)
    Even the toilet cleaners and dish washers in the canteen.

And the cost of living is lower too. (mostly driven by housing costs)

slowoldman

Will we still be allowed to use “schadenfreude” after Brexit?

Certainly not. The British term trips off the tongue easily enough.
    “pleasure derived by someone from another person’s misfortune”.

Anyway Bu88er Bognor.

Nico
    Free Member

All sounds a bit racist to me. Vote brexit but happy to bring in them foreigners on a stupid low wage because you make more profit than if you employed someone from the UK.

Am I wide of the mark?

Not if “foreigners” is a race, no. If not, then yes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Not if “foreigners” is a race, no. If not, then yes.

Makes as much sense as any other definition of “race”.

elzorillo
    Free Member

I call Bull!!! – Living in an area with a very high concentration of eastern europeans (a lot of them friends).. I’ve not witnessed an such insecurity amongst them due to brexit, Nore any drop in numbers newly arriving let alone anyone leaving.

kimbers

so what we can conclude is that Europeans here are here to work and that there still arent enough to fill the job vacancies we have

that wont please all those angry leavers that want them out

mooman
    Free Member

Watched it last night. Interesting and disturbing at the same time.

The woman admits to having voted Brexit previously – and now that it looks as if she will not have enough people to take advantage of to earn a living – she says she would now vote differently.

Is this the reason why big business is also in favour of remaining in the EU? to have access to cheap labour to exploit??

Parasites!

mrmo
    Free Member

In the company I work for, no one earns £10 or more per hour.

How much does your MD earn?

alric
    Free Member

milton keynes seems based on foreign labour. The warehouses are seasonal so the demand for housing pushes the prices way up. Many hire em and fire em agencies here are foreign staffed, geared towards younger immigrants that can survive on 3days work a week, and work hard constantly.
    The supermarkets may offer some stability jobwise, but the wages are barely above minimum wage.
    So unless you have someone to share the rent with, your room to rent will cost 3days wages every week. And no, social security doesnt cover it

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Ch 4 now – British workers wanted…’ is closed to new replies.