• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • CeramicSpeed UFO drip lube and MTB use, lube every 3 months
  • mudfish

I am after preserving my XO1 cassette
    I’ll be using XX1 chains (best for resisting wear apparently)
    I’ve been chatting to a rather knowledgeable mechanic who also races Enduro (lucky me, got the right guy) and he reckons he got 3 seasons out of an Eagle cassette – wow.
    And its all down to
    1: monthly thorough cassette cleans
    and
    2: thoroughly cleaning and rotating 3 chains [on a 3 monthly basis]
    soaking each chain in CeramicSpeed UFO lube after cleaning –

so:
    the secret is the deep clean then to soak in UFO EVERY 3 MONTHS, done that way, there’s no need to lube in between those 3 monthly deep cleans / lubes

How’s it done?:
    Starting from new, then 3 monthly
    remove chain and clean in a degreaser e.g. OzzyJuice or Morgan Blue
    next use a spray brake cleaner to dispel the degreaser from the chain
    allow to dry
    then soak in UFO for 24-48 hours.
    drip dry the lube back into the soaking container (SRAM chain box or small tub)
    set chain aside for refitting.

Has anyone tried UFO on a mountain bike, it looks rather expensive but used well a bottle would last ages. Its almost unbelievable that one thorough lube can last for 3 months of mountain biking.

love to hear your experiences fellow singletrackers

philjunior
    Free Member

I predict a mention of putoline (though I’d be interested to see the difference in performance between the two.)

mudfish

phijunior

Putoline sounds like lubricant that would perhaps get used in the red light district of Paris

mudfish

No feedback?
    Ah well, I’m trying it.
    If anyone decides to try this don’t use the SRAM chain plastic tray pack to soak – the US FO solvent melts it.
    Now trying to find out what solvent to add to UFO lube without ruining it.
    have a good weekend all
    N

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

it looks rather expensive but used well a bottle would last ages. Its almost unbelievable that one thorough lube can last for 3 months of mountain biking.

Putoline does. And drive chains wear about half the rate they do with normal lubes because you’re not spending half the ride with no/diluted/gritty lube. It also manages the same trick even in the middle of a wet winter.

This guy seems to think it’s on a par with molten lubes.

Also, £65 a bottle, Vs £25 for a lifetimes supply of putoline? And the added faff of putoline (not compared to the regime you’re proposing through) is offset if you have more than one bike and just chuck all the chains in at once. Spread over a few bikes I’ve not had to lube them since March when I put a new gear ratio on the singlespeed.

I’m also less than convinced that soaking it is necessary or efficient. Putoline works because the liquid wax flows into the links then solidifies when you take it out. The solid then provides the lubrication and cant easily be washed out. If it’s a liquid to start with surely you would be much better of just applying it sparingly the chain as normal?

mudfish

Hia

thanks for the reply ‘thisisnotaspoon’

yeah I already decided that really thorough 2 stage cleaning as I described is worth it, but dripping the lube on may even be better than soaking, especially given the evaporation issue.
    When I read up about using molten wax, though, I read REALLY great things, but also that all of a sudden it breaks down and hardly lubes at all. And doesn’t like wet and mud.
    I am totally up for soaking in hot wax IF it works well – right through the muddy season, but does its really.

thanks man

tjagain

but does its really.

IME yes – acidic soils ( peat) can strip it a bit quicker and others on here have not found it as good as I have. I reckon around 300 miles winter off road, in the thousands of miles on road.

mudfish

thx
    I’d like to try it when the ceramic speed runs out, Brighton soil is proper chalky. North downs sandy with peat, FOD hard to tell whether its will knacker the wax. We’ll see

tdog
    Free Member

V interesting reading. Thanks op for posting up.

Re: putoline- I used to use the nanotech stuff on my motorcycle engine and chain however the wax stuff I found just attracts chunks of dirt like a whore to a lorry driver.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘CeramicSpeed UFO drip lube and MTB use, lube every 3 months’ is closed to new replies.