Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Ceramic Lubes
  • thered

Lube is the most annoying thing about riding a bike for me, dry stuff is useless imo but the wet stuff leaves too much claggy muck all over the drivetrain.

Anybody on here using a ceramic such as finish line ceramic wet? If so, are you cleaning the chain and then re-applying or just re-applying.

Is the ceramic stuff any good?

Any alternatives to the finish line stuff?

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve used the mucoff ceramic stuff this summer, its a little bit better I think. Full degrease before first application.

barffy
    Free Member

Squirt.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    carlphillips
    Free Member

ultimate bike solution

amazing stuff.

13thfloormonk

Have been using the Finish Line Ceramic Dry on my road bike as an alternative to Squirt (which is fantastic stuff if you have the time to relube properly between every wet ride, or ideally don’t ride in the wet at all!).

The Finish Line was pretty frustrating to begin with, went on so wet that it just seemed to spray/drip through the chain and pool on the newspaper I had put down beneath, cue newspaper with expensive ceramic coating 👿

I tried applying it as gently as possible but eventually resorted to refrigerating it for a while first to make it less liquidy, this seemed to work and you could actually see the lube drying on the chain instead of just dripping through.

It also took several applications (i.e. more than half the bottle) before the bloody stuff seemed to actually do anything, prior to that the chain sounded very dry. Now though it’s actually running quite smoothly and I’m hoping from here on it will stay that way, kind of like Squirt in that you maybe have to build up a base of the stuff.

Will be interested to see if it holds up in the wet of course, it’s just been dry summer miles so far…

trail_rat
    Free Member

it was great on a colleagues track bike……

it was great on my sunday road bike.

If it rode in the wet or heaven forbid the mud….it gets just as manky as the rest.

HughStew

I second the “ultimate bike solution” recommendation. First tried it on one MTB and am completely converted, I use it on all bike now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m trying Scottoiler’s FS365 at present, ever since they stopped selling RnR blue in the UK.

Some insider knowledgs has it that UBS is actually FS365 re-packaged, and to be fair it seems pretty good. Had a couple of stinking wet rides in Torridon 2 weeks ago and Ben Ledi again last weekend and not a peep out of the chain. I decant it into a RnR dropper bottle instead of spraing which seems a tad wasteful.

Good signs so far.

shortyj15

Currently trialing chainsaw bar oil, seems to work fairly well and not that manky.

molgrips
    Free Member

dry stuff is useless

The usual waxy ones are yes. MucOff dry isn’t though, give it a try – you get loads for £6.99 and it’s in Halfords. Also works well in the wet.

Shimano wet lube is also outstanding – doesn’t go black and gunky at all.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chain-lube-fetishists-assemble

Putoline chain wax, there is nothing better, it’s not comparable to any other lubes I’ve used, easily lasts 3-5x longer than even the better dry lubes (500+miles Vs 150) I’ve tried, and over the winter when normal wet lubes either need stripping off and re-applying every ride ro remove the filth, or don’t even make it to the end of the ride, it lasts months of regular off-road riding.

Done all my chains at once, probably won’t do them again now until Christmas. If anyone doubt’s that it’s better, just try that, don’t lube any of your bikes between now and Christmas and we’ll see who’s is still working :-p

Tried UBS, barely get 50miles between applications in the bone dry before the chain starts making noises. Didn’t even make it home from work in the wet (2 miles). Keeps frames clean, but that’s about it.

iainc

it was great on a colleagues track bike……

I haven’t ever lubed the chain on my track bike…..it still has the factory stuff and as it’s indoor use only it hasn’t ever got dirty or noisy. Might need to put something on it soon I guess, but don’t want to degrease all the good sticky factory stuff that will be in the chain internals…

zero-cool
    Free Member

Juice Lubes ceramic stuff is pretty good. Takes a few applications to really get going though.

andylc
    Free Member

I used finish line ceramic – didn’t seem any better than anything else I have used, and I was having to clean after most rides to keep things anywhere near presentable. Changed to Squirt recently: miles better, cleaner, quieter, have to start with a super clean dry chain but don’t think I will be going to back to a wet like any time soon.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’m clearly doing something wrong with UBS, my local loop is 16 miles.

it needs applying every single outing. Its dry at the minuit and half way round it begins to sound terrible.
    its clogging up my jockey wheels and sticking all over ny front ring. Sure it cleans up well but i want a lube not a muck preventer.

I wont put the Putoline wax on until winter sets in proper, losing the RnR Blue is just about the shittest thing thats happened to my biking karma in the past few years.

I’m thinking of Importing it and peddaling it on so to speak

thered

There’s simply no consensus is there.

What’s the maintenance regimen for you squirt users?

Leon
    Free Member

Finish line ceramic is now used as a general purpose oil, as it left every chain I tried it on covered in black. It just seems too runny, and no matter how much I wipe the chain, it goes oiley again

mcnultycop

For squirt I reapply every few summer rides, dry the chain after washing and reapply every wet ride.

iainc

Squirt – every second ride or so in summer, then stop around now and use Progold Extreme till April.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Muc off team sky lube….it’s a cross between wet and dry……works great for me..and you get a free UV torch so you can see if you’ve missed bits

trail_rat
    Free Member

“it still has the factory stuff and as it’s indoor use only it hasn’t ever got dirty or noisy. “

Your losing watts 😉

iainc

^^^^^ aye, probably 😀

I don’t race, just do it for fitness anyway !

deanfbm
    Free Member

I find UBS pretty rubbish too, if your normal ride is less that 8ish miles, it’s fine, chain is noisy and rattly as going any further, convinced i saw more wear whilst using it too.

I find both the muc-off ceramics pretty good, the wet ceramic is particularly good over winter too, gammy enough to last a winter ride, but isn’t so tacky that it gets filthy, at the end of a wet ride it is gone, but chain is cleanish after a wet ride, quick splash with a hose gets it clean, comes out clean on the next re-application.

whitestone
    Free Member

I used the Finish Line ceramic lube on my road bike, can’t say I noticed any difference in either longevity or resistance to picking up muck off the road.

Currently use Morgan Blue Extra Dry Lube applied sparingly to the inside of the rollers. Absolutely no idea if it’s better or worse than anything else. No particular regimen to applying it, it’s a case of “whenever I feel like it” or what the previous ride or rides have been like wetness or mud wise, though if I’m going on a long ride then I will apply some beforehand.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Ceramic Lubes’ is closed to new replies.