Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Centre Parcs why would you ….
  • GrahamS

Regarding security where can you store your bikes – can you stick them easily in your accomodation for example?

Which one?

We all took bikes to Whinfell. Every chalet had a bike rack outside. Big D-lock + cable, sorted.

Lots of bike parks around the park too. Most of the bikes are chained up with flimsy cable locks or even ropey combination locks. Stick a decent lock on and you’ll be fine IMO.

joeyj
    Free Member

Gary M – I wasnt saying anything about freedom of choice yes take your bike if you want to but it was a bit of overkill riding his bike on the roads at CP when hew could of hired a bike (ok they are cr@p but for this type of riding who cares)

Colonel Wax – why go there on holiday as all the others have mentioned its great for the kids where you dont worry about roads and cars and they love the pools and activities that they can do.

Prices werent too bad and with a small child under 1 going abroad wasnt really what I wanted out of a holiday and was cheaper by at least £1,500. Been to CP many times now and will go back again in the winter for the christmas activities (Whinfell) and then probably back in the summer (Sherwood)
    Most bikes even the good ones were only locked up with the small crappy chains you buy in the supewrmarket at CP, you can store the bikes inside as people have said above.

Weasel
    Free Member

We are on page 2 of this discussion and no-ones mentioned the Mumsnet thread on Centre Parcs, what’s going on???????

ski
    Free Member

We are on page 2 of this discussion and no-ones mentioned the Mumsnet thread on Centre Parcs, what’s going on???????

quiet now, let them find out in their own time 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

batfink – Member
    Some people (like me) just have one bike…. not the luxury of several bikes to suit every occasion. Would I take my 150mm travel full susser to centre parcs to avoid having to pay to hire one? Of course I would.

Same here

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why would you hire a bike if you could take your own? Clearly he wasn’t too worried about having scorn heaped upon him by stw. Doesn’t do the bike any harm to be used in the ‘wrong situation’ does it?

aracer
    Free Member

I took my top of the range unicycle for riding round the site at Butlins when I went there on holiday recently. Did get one kid asking whether I’d hired it 😆

philfive
    Free Member

well i have had to go and look…. how do they link the two!!!!

misterfrostie
    Free Member

I’ve been to CP a couple of times and took my 5 last time but went for a couple of laps round Sherwood pines a couple of evenings.

IMO if you’ve got a bike and you want to take it, even if its just to cruise round the site, do it. Save on the extortion that is CP bike hire.

On the whole CP – why would you at all ? issue, 3 times has been more than enough for me. Too expensive, too many ignorant, arrogant fellow human beings and not that much to get excited about really.

We opted for a weekend in Blackpool with the kids instead last time (yeah Blackpool I know) but we got a family room in the Hilton for £99 and got Tesco clubcard tickets to Blackpool Zoo, Tower Circus and the Sea Life Centre and we had a cracking weekend, much better than CP. All three places we visited were superb.

matt_outandabout

If you only have one bike…so the oab family at a place like that is resplendent on Sanderson, Cannondale, Islabike and two kids Scott’s. 8)

(mind, we would also be off for some proper rides)

matt_outandabout

no-ones mentioned the Mumsnet thread on Centre Parcs,

*googles*
    😯

Lesanita2
    Free Member

mountainman – Looks like I’m having to go in a couple of weeks. Any info on where is good to ride?

nikk
    Free Member

What rubber for Center Parcs?

Mud terrain?

Lesanita2 wrote:

mountainman – Looks like I’m having to go in a couple of weeks. Any info on where is good to ride?

Google “Center Parcs” and look at about the 8th search result for tips on the best place to ride…

DrP

I have to admire some people’s ability to milk to worst traits out of human kind wherever they go!
    I’m sure there are some miserable gits who go to Centre Parcs (Some posting on here?!), but in reality, it’s not too hard to not take offence from every interpersonal interaction that takes place at home/holiday – just enjoy yourselves!!

Saying that, I’ve just booked up a midweeker at Longleat over fireworks night (8 berth cabin for £480 – bargain!!) so try to avoid talking to me…. 😉

DrP

yunki
    Free Member

Saying that, I’ve just booked up a midweeker at Longleat over fireworks night (8 berth cabin for £480 – bargain!!) so try to avoid talking to me….

we’re there the following week so that our little ‘uns can soak up the winter wonderland experience.. off peak, for peanuts..

I’ll be raucously delivering sustained periods of verbal abuse and physical intimidation to any other human beings that I encounter, so you won’t be able to miss me I’m afraid..

I won’t be taking a bike though.. as it’s a well known fact that outside of Devon everybody is a thief and a brigand..

iainc

so first trip to Sherwood for us in October having been to Whinfell many times in the past. If I take my Jake with knobblies on is there anywhere reasonable for a wee ride within 10 mins of the place ? It’s a family holiday so not planning on dissapearing from more than an hour but if there is an early am or evening opportunity I will take bike, otherwise will hire a clunker (the cost of fuel for extra bike on roof from Glasgow pays most of the clunker hire 😀 )

elzorillo
    Free Member

Never stayed there myself (sherwood) as I live just down the road and often ride around there anyway.. but usually pack the kids and a few friends off there for a week at a time just to give me and laZorilla some peace and quiet. Kids love it but looks a rip off to me.

iainc

thanks elzorillo – an earlier post mentioned Sherwood pines – is that close by and decent riding for an hr on the cx bike ?

batfink
    Free Member

no-ones mentioned the Mumsnet thread on Centre Parcs,

*googles*

have googled it…. there is no way I’m opening that at work

toby1

I went to one once and had the gall to stand on a rock by the lake, I was asked to kindly get down.

Probably the sh!test place I’ve ever been to – not my idea of a fun time.

GrahamS

I have to admire some people’s ability to milk to worst traits out of human kind wherever they go!

Agreed! Loving the usual STW moanfest.

We’ve been to Whinfell twice and had a great time. Didn’t meet “too many ignorant, arrogant fellow human beings”, didn’t get shouted at for standing on rocks, didn’t have our bikes stolen, didn’t think the food was bad at all – just had a nice time with the extended family, did some fun activities with the kids, ran about, had a laugh and enjoyed ourselves.

YMMV. 😀

ski
    Free Member

stand on a rock by the lake

Totally rad dude, extreme! 😉

trb
    Free Member

As I was on holiday when I went, I was in no rush and found I could walk from one side of the park to the other in less than 30 minutes and so glad I didn’t have to faff about with bikes and locks. Plus it gave me the moral high ground to snarl at any cyclist who neglected to warn me of their approach with an appropriate tinkle on their bell.

We found it a pleasent environment when the cars were gone – but people reverted to type on changeover day and I almost got run over by a BMW!

Much too expensive for me in school holidays mind

DrP

Much too expensive for me in school holidays mind..

I think the ‘same’ holiday we’ve just booked for £479 is £1499 the week before!
    Now that IS expensive!

DrP

McHamish
    Free Member

I’m going to go to centerparcs when we’ve got kids…quite looking forward to it rather than boring beach holidays.

Do they have Death Slides? Probably don’t call them that anymore.

But in response to the OP, if we’re going to pass judgement on someone you’ve barely met we need to know what he was wearing. Was he dressed in downhill gear with a full face helmet suitable for the flat paths of Centerparcs?

ski
    Free Member

They do, well a death water slide anyway (Nottingham), but only for little kids to play, I was gutted when I was told I was too big the cheek!

trb
    Free Member

The longleat one has a zip wire – but you have to pay extra to go on it.
    The water slides in the pool are pretty good.

klumpy
    Free Member

Went there with my folks when I was a tiddler. Mum and Dad said we were gonna hire bikes and “go for a nice cycle”, me and sis were unimpressed with the idea of not being in the pool. Maw and Paw got two dreadful mudguarded and chainbathed Dutch style heaps, me and sis got BMXs. About 100 yards into the “nice cycle” we came across a BMX track and me and sis shot in (with cries of “we can look at that on the way back, you two!” drifting after us) and wouldn’t leave! 😆

phead
    Free Member

Didn’t meet “too many ignorant, arrogant fellow human beings”

You went on a good week. I used to repair those BSO’s many eons ago, the quality of the guest varied a lot week to week, high season southern c$%^s were a total pain. Best weeks are scottish school holidays when English are at school, brilliant people all week.

As for the rest of this anything good will get stolen, lock it inside (and use the shower to clean it!) Oh and sherwood pines isn’t the only local place to ride, there are loads of other local routes that are better, and when you finish those remember you are only 45 mins from Derbyshire.

GrahamS

the quality of the guest varied a lot week to week, high season southern c$%^s were a total pain. Best weeks are scottish school holidays when English are at school, brilliant people all week.

That’s maybe the advantage of going to Whinfell. Pleasant northern folks, Geordies and Jocks, rather than ghastly southerners with their big city ways 😀

aracer
    Free Member

I’m going to go to centerparcs when we’ve got kids…quite looking forward to it rather than boring beach holidays.

So now we’re slagging off beach holidays? Surprisingly good fun with little kids – though I guess it does help if you windsurf or kayak (or some other sport best done on the sea) so you get some benefit out of it.

iainc

the quality of the guest varied a lot week to week, high season southern c$%^s were a total pain. Best weeks are scottish school holidays when English are at school, brilliant people all week.

That’s maybe the advantage of going to Whinfell. Pleasant northern folks, Geordies and Jocks, rather than ghastly southerners with their big city ways

as good Scots we are going in October school week, but Whinfell prices with this in mind, so same accomodation at Sherwood same week is over £300 less for us…..

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Centre Parcs why would you ….’ is closed to new replies.