Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Central London – dinner recommendations
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Heading down to the big city on a rare trip for leisure rather than work, so looking for recommendations for places to eat in central London. We’re staying at a hotel near Westminster / St James Park and looking to go out for a meal on Sunday night. Any recommendations for somewhere that is:

– good food – but emphasis on big portions and all-round quality, rather than the latest culinary creations

– not too fancy (jeans and t-shirt type of venue!)

– good value, but not ‘cheap’

– open to all types of food e.g. thai, indian, standard British etc

– quiet venue, with prompt service

– walking distance from hotel (Caxton St, SW1) – most important (we will have done enough travelling and trotting round London by then, so ideally will want somewhere nearby)

Suggestions, recommendations, links etc very much appreciated 🙂 Thanks folks!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My old manor…

Here’s a few suggestions,

Uno, corner of Denbigh Street and Warwick Way. Lovely little southern Italian place. Have the Calzone Uno.

Quilon,  at the Taj hotel. Interesting Indian grub.

Cask, Charlwood Street. Epic burgers, and the best beer selection anywhere!

The Vincent Rooms, Vincent Square. If open, and might be a little too “smart”, but astonishing value, and astonishing food. It’s the restaurant of Westminster Catering College.

A Wong.  Wilton Road. If you can get a table…! Andrew has transformed the old family Chinese (ate there for years, and got to know the family well) in to perhaps the best Chinese restaurant anywhere outside of the Far East! Have the mint beef, or whatever is on the menu. Unfailingly brilliant.

johndoh
    Free Member

We were in London last weekend and, after asking for advice on here, ignored it all and ate at East Street Pan Asian Cafe – it’s just off Oxford Street and its a great little place. We had crackers/dips, sharing platter to start, two main courses and a cocktail each (2-1 before 7pm) and the whole lot only came to £55. Its very much casual dining and a pretty quick turnaround but we loved it – great food, great surroundings and great staff. You can book a table (which we did) but it wasn’t too busy at 7pm on a Saturday night. If you do book, request a booth table.

We also happened across a place called Benito’s Har – a little cafe/takeaway doing burritos. I just saw someone sat eating a wrap and it looked delicious and they were. They have several outlets in London but we ate at the Covent Garden one.

stayhigh

Following the recommendation of a colleague I took a first date to a little place in Drummond Street near Euston underground station called Diwana.

Really doesn’t look all that from the outside however after looking at the menu my date said it was the menu was very traditional and the sort of food that her mum would prepare at home.  The food was amazing, service was quick and friendly and not outrageously expensive either, starter mains and drink for two was £35.  Neither of us went hungry and had food left over.  Worth pointing out its vegetarian but as a non vegetarian I certainly wasn’t disappointed.

Starters

Starters and mains 😀

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Le Bab either Mercer St, Covent Garden or Kingley Court just off Carnaby.  Great take on Kebabs.  Any of the Flat Irons are great for a great steak or burger at friendly prices; Hawksmoor if you wanna spend a bit more.  Dishoom for your spicy needs. Ipudo or Bao for asian loveliness and I think Padella at Borough Market is ace for Italian.

German Gymnasium in Kings Cross is good for the European stuff.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Bone Daddies.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks folks – will check some of those out.

Unfortunately several places seem to be closed on a Sunday evening, so any more suggestions much appreciated 🙂

Ta!

poolman
    Free Member

Sue, if you re in central London on a Sunday evening i would just get some fast food and head to the comedy store for the improv show.  Just checked its still on.  Also, it’s cheap and cheerful but I really like the Hari Krishna cafe on wardour st, just off oxford st.  Quick coffee in bar Italia as you will be passing.

tor5
    Free Member

Blacklock soho for chops, brindisa Soho for tapas worth a look

johndoh
    Free Member

East Street is open until 10pm on Sundays 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Central London – dinner recommendations’ is closed to new replies.