Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Central Heating – Wireless Thermostats
  • dooosuk
    Free Member

Right, now that the weather is getting colder I think I need to sort this problem that’s existed since we bought the house (100yr old 3 bed mid terrace) back in March.

Currently the thermostat is in the same room as the boiler (which is in a utility extension, with no radiator) and so it can’t be the most efficient solution.

The Mrs is wanting the heating back on now as we have a 4mth old to look after and so I’m trying to minimize the heating bills and take some load off the boiler.

Anyone any experience with wireless room thermostats recently?

From a quick bit of research people online seem to be suggesting Honeywell CM927’s but this all seems to date back to 2008.

Also what are Danfoss and Drayton like?

verses

We’ve just had our dark-ages heating/water system upgraded.

The Honeywell CM927 was fitted as part of that. It’s all only been up and running a few days, but it seems very configurable. I’ve nothing else to compare it to, but to my untrained eye it seems to be a good bit of kit.

tinsy
    Free Member

Setup currently sounds pant, sign up with a British gas homecare plan, I can do a bit of plumbing, but the plan saved me thousands on a knackered system.

I eventually bit the bullet & got a new boiler with a new fangles thermostat that wokrs off an app, expensive outlay but the monthly savings are significant.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wolly
    Free Member

Another cm927 here works really well.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I’ll take a closer look then.

Current set-up is not ideal. Boiler is old but serviceable. I had a plumber I trust service it when we moved in and he said if it was his, he’d not replace it just yet.

Planning to DIY install as the wiring diagrams don’t look too difficult. Will check connections on current timer first though.

stumpy01

Do you need a wireless controller thermostat that does hot water and heating or just heating?
    I don’t think the 927 does both. If you need one that does both we’ve got a Honeywell Sundial rf2 that works well.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Do you need a wireless controller thermostat that does hot water and heating or just heating?

Good question.

What ever I replace the current mechanical timer with will need to do both the hot water and the heating.

Looking to replace something similar to this:

which is in the boiler room, with the new receiver.

Thanks for the heads up.

thepurist

Got a Honeywell 7 day programmable wireless jobby (ch only, not hw) a year or 2 back after posting a similar question on here. Does the job, no problems.

stumpy01

dooosuk – Member

Good question.

What ever I replace the current mechanical timer with will need to do both the hot water and the heating.

Yeah, I only asked because I was recommended the CM927, didn’t really look into it in too much depth, then realised when I got it out of the box that it only did heating.
    This is the one that we went for instead…

http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/Systems/Wireless-Enabled/Sundial-RF2-Pack-2/

it does hot water and heating.

We’ve had it installed for a while now and it works really well.
    A while back we did have a hiccup where the thermostat lost comms and was giving a low battery error, then wouldn’t sync with the controller.
    We tried to re-pair it and that didn’t work and I was getting pretty annoyed with the whole thing, so rang the Honeywell number that is only supposed to be for trade. But the bloke was really helpful and basically suggested doing a ‘turn it off and on again’ reset by flicking the power to the controller off.
    This sorted it straight away and it’s been fine since.

The bloke did say that if that hadn’t worked, they’d have sorted out a replacement unit without any problem, so their customer service seemed pretty spot-on.

EDIT – oh and we replaced a similar looking mechanical timer too. We got an electrician friend to do it, but I don’t think it was difficult.

tinsy
    Free Member

I think you can leave the old timer in place for twice a day hot water duties, or whatever suits your situation, then just have the new thermostat for the heating duties. Thats how my new system works.

nixie

Do not get a Siemens one – ours failed way, way to early and research suggested its not uncommon. Now got a CM927.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks Stumpy. I’ll need to check if we’ve got a thermostat on the hot water otherwise I guess I’m looking at Pack 3.

tinsy – would like to remove the old timer and just have one system. Less boxes, less wiring etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve been using Honeywell CM927 for about 10 years. Had no issues until Jnr FD dropped it on the floor a number of times, and the LCD screen stopped working.

Luckily had one in a house we were selling so just swapped it over.

Are app controlled ones available yet ?

stumpy01

Funkydunc a mate of mine has a British Gas one that can be controlled from his iPhone.
    Not sure I can see the point myself.

samuri
    Free Member

Funkydunc a mate of mine has a British Gas one that can be controlled from his iPhone.
    Not sure I can see the point myself.

It’s to stop the wife and kids messing with it.

We have a wireless thermostat in our old house and it’s rubbish. It’s crazy and will turn on the heating in the middle of the day, turn it off when it’s cold and not allow anyone to turn it back on again.

The wireless thermostat in our new house is brilliant. Works perfectly.

i’m not sure any of this is help to the OP though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you do shift work then its very handy to have, or if you have been out on a ride and heading back you can switch it on etc.

Good way to save energy IMO as your not leaving the heating on when you dont need to.

I’ve seen the BG one, not sure if you have to ‘sign up’ to their Gas & Electric etc to use it?

phiiiiil

Are there newer, shinier things than the 927 out there now, given how long it’s been around? Touchscreen, network attached, produces reports on how much it’s been on so you can tell how much the missus is whacking the heating on as soon as you go out, sort of thing?

Stoner
    Free Member

phiiiiil – heatmiser do some now.

http://www.heatmisershop.co.uk/thermostats-c1/wifi-thermostats-c12/rf-switching-models-c31/heatmiser-prthw-ts-wifi-rf-kit-wifi-programmable-with-hw-output-p94

Ive done an installation lately with their basic wireless thermostats and they come out a fair bit cheaper than honeywell, but they’re not brilliant – the touch screen isnt amazing and the viewing angle of the LCD is poor.

I have 2x CM927 in my house and am happy with them, but then I dont really need internet connectivity.

jam-bo

Salus RT500. cheap and has worked perfectly since it was wired in.

programming isn’t that easy but ok once you’ve figured it out.

saying that I programmed it once and havent touched it since.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good link there Stoner, the basic combi boiler one is nearish the price of a Hoenywell.

Surely you can just programme it on the internet, and therefore not bother with the actual display so much?

When our Honeywell ‘breaks’ again might well be worth a look!

northernmatt

What you’ve got is either a Danfoss 102 or 103. The 102 does CH&DHW the 103 only does CH. A CM927 is ideal if you have a combi boiler but if you have a heat only boiler and cylinder you will need one of the Sundial packs. I should know which one as the Honeywell rep was in the other day boring us to death about them.

Honeywell or Drayton probably best bet, expensive but you get what you pay for. Steer clear of Siemens as suggested, we get their RF stats back faulty all the time (2 yesterday). Can’t comment on the Heatmiser ones Stoner recommends as I’ve only ever seen some of their commercial stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Mrs is wanting the heating back on now as we have a 4mth old to look after and so I’m trying to minimize the heating bills and take some load off the boiler.

Just as a side point – if you are worried about the kid getting cold at night, you could get an oil filled rad and put it on a timer – just heat the kid’s room without the rest of the house.

jam-bo

I leave the thermostat in my boys room and then adjust the radiators in the rest of the house to suit.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Thanks nothernmatt…I’ve currently got a Danfoss 102.

I think I’ve figured out I need a Sundial RF Pack 2…I think. We’ve an old Stelgrad boiler like this:

so I just need to work out whether the boiler sets the hot water control temp or there’s a stat on the cylinder (that isn’t used by the immersion)…I think.

Or a Drayton MiTime RF Pack but couldn’t find anyone that sells them online.

Molgrips – Yeah, we have an electric oil filed rad so that might be used later on in darkest deepest winter.

fluxhutchinson
    Free Member

Have the Honeywell CM927 but soon to have the Honeywell Evohome setup 8)

garage-dweller

Our wireless one was nothing but grief. Kept dropping the signal and ended up with no heating when we needed it. Wired old school honeywell dial one has been faultless.

I will be in no hurry to go wireless when we move/replace the boiler.

jon_n
    Free Member

Have the Honeywell CM927 but soon to have the Honeywell Evohome setup

We’ve had EvoHome for the past 18 months – once you get round the setup ‘niggles’ (it can be less than intuitive at times, especially with the binding process) it’s truly awesome, it dropped our heating bill considerably as well 🙂 If you keep an eye on fleabay the rad valves come up cheap now and then too 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Molgrips – Yeah, we have an electric oil filed rad so that might be used later on in darkest deepest winter.

We found it useful in early spring and late autumn. We can quite happily keep under the covers when it’s cold, but our 1 year old never stayed under them, and refused to sleep in any kind of bag. Rad is set to a pretty low level as their room is pretty warm and well insulated generally. Worked fairly well to avoid being woken up at 4am by a whining chilly baby.

dooosuk
    Free Member

their room is pretty warm and well insulated generally

Unfortunately our nursery isn’t. Floor boards not carpet and although it’s double glazed and I’ve whacked 300mm of Knauf insulation above the ceiling when the radiator goes off the warmth goes as well.

When the heating’s on it’s toasty. Old house and it just loses heat. She’s happy in a sleeping bag though and will have a blanket as well. Need to get a room thermometer to stop the Mrs really worrying.

molgrips
    Free Member

So where’s it going then?

We have wooden floor over the chipboard, but I suspect it’s cos it’s at the top of the house. When the heat escapes the rest of the house, that’s where it ends up 🙂

Incidentally we had 300mm of rockwool in our loft, I addd another 3-400mm and it made a big difference actually. The hatch is in their room too and I had to make a huge cushion to go over that which also really helped.

dooosuk
    Free Member

No idea where it’s going. Old Victorian mid terrace, flat plastered walls throughout and original floorboards in all rooms bar master bedroom and stairs and landing which have carpet.

It’s fine for me 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Central Heating – Wireless Thermostats’ is closed to new replies.