Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Central heating: is yours on yet?
  • cinnamon_girl

Finding the evenings chilly but trying not to be a wuss. 🙂

Drac

Burner went on last night good timing too as it went to -2c through the night.

lunge

Oh hell no, give it a month and ask me again. I did turn the thermostat down last night in preparation for my wife popping it on unannounced though.

cinnamon_girl

-2c? 😯

All wimminz know what men do with the thermostat. 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

Not yet. Was a little chilly the night before last but no where near cold enough for the heating. We usually have our first fire on bonfire night, too. Is this a northern thing? Its still shorts weather down here!

Drac

Yup proper frost this am and then lovely warm all day.

geoffj

Wood burner on last night for first time. Boiled the charging loop through not checking the settings 😡
    Had to scrape the car this morning.

momo

Not yet, aiming to hang on until October half term. Still on the summer duvet!

br
    Free Member

Frost on my car this morning, but unsure why anyone would turn off their central heating.

Surely you just leave the thermostat on 20 (for example), and when the room temperature drops below it will just come on.

mattbee

20? 16 mate, can’t have her not getting use out of all those clothes! No heating for a good few weeks yet for us, did put the duvet back on the bed instead of just a sheet though on Sat.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Nowhere near time to turn on the E7 storage heaters for us, simply closed the windows that have been open all summer.

Had my full finger gloves ready to wear this morning, but forgot them in the rush, turned out it wasn’t that chilly this morning.

But the sun has been out all day, had to semi-strangle myself with the coat sleeves cycling home, far too warm to wear for the ascent out of Southampton city centre.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

No still have doors and windows o0en most of the day, one of my children complained it was like being in a tent in winter when he got back from school.

Made me proud that he knows what that feels like 😆

ac282

Agree with br. What does the date have to do with the need for heating?

xico
    Free Member

No CH yet, but we put the winter quilt on the bed this weekend.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mines on right now. It’ll be off again shortly

Only on to prove the sourdough I just made as I missed the sun in thw window earlier due to making a crumble out of scavenged apples and black berries

Autumns good 🙂

withersea
    Free Member

Heating on, duvet change will happen. This week and additional logs will be brought in ready to burn. Beautiful day though, blue skies and bright sunshine, can we have this through to spring please?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

No it’s been 34 here today, dippped to about 16 last night 🙁

yetidave
    Free Member

mine only half working after the plumber messed up the extension pipework…its been under 2deg for the last 3 nights.

GrahamS

Half an hour in the morning to make 6:30 wake ups just a little more bearable.

Sometimes half an hour in the evening before the kids go to bed if their rooms are a bit cold.

We had our first proper haar for a while this morning.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Nope – Ours is set for 16.5 and it’s not got that cold yet. It’s pretty much still shorts weather in London.

johnners
    Free Member

Agree with br. What does the date have to do with the need for heating?

Quite. I leave it up to the thermostat but it’s not dipped below 19 yet and I’m still sitting around in shorts. Temps are set to drop later in the week, that’ll probably start it up.

Kryton57

Ours is set to 17 at night 20 during the day and 22 in the evening. Its just tripped on in the early evenings for an hour this last week.

thepurist

Yes, it’s on all the time thanks to a clever thing called a programmable thermostat. If the ambient temperature is lower than the temperature I’ve decided I’m happy with all year round then it turns on and warms the place up. I really don’t understand all this baloney about not switching it on until your drool has frozen solid in the morning.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’m cold, but t’other half isn’t taking the hint…

funkmasterp

I’d leave it off all year, but missus has insisted it go on. Finally gave in yesterday

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How many of you are actually really poor?

Sorry, don’t mean to offend, but heating isn’t a big willy contest. You put it on when the inside of your house gets cooler than you want it to be.

Are you trying to ascertain who has cooler houses? Maybe see who’s got an expensive victorian mansion with single pane windows in a conservation area?

Sandwich

Like Momo I’m hoping to get to half-term before the boiler goes on. We may need to add some duvet togs soon though.

mahalo

friggin will be tonight after i woke up with my head frozen to the pillow this morning!

isitafox
    Free Member

Ours is run off the living room fire so if we want to heat the house that has to be lit, which is a nightmare in the Summer as it’s too hot for a fire but living in an old farm house it gets very damp and cold with no heating overnight. Just started lighting it the last few evenings now it’s started to drop chilly, hopefully be getting a multifuel boiler/cooker fitted over the winter which will be better as it can be kept going easier and should mean the house is still warm in a morning!

timidwheeler

Not yet at home. I wish the pub I’m in would turn theirs on though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Yes. Last night in fact. It hit 5 degrees here just before dawn.

That’s plenty cold enough to help moisture settle in the cooler nooks and crannies, which, long term is not good for the fabric of the building or inside sure quality. Our stat is set to 17 though.

br
    Free Member

Man on south coast doesn’t think he needs it on 🙂

Move to Scotland mate, then you’ll change your mind – first fire this season was in July and we’ve not turned the aga off since 2012.

rkk01
    Free Member

We’ve had a few fires. Old house, so a fire in the grate helps to warm the walls etc

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, it’s on all the time thanks to a clever thing called a programmable thermostat. If the ambient temperature is lower than the temperature I’ve decided I’m happy with all year round then it turns on and warms the place up.

That approach only works if the summer temperatures stay low enough or you have a heating AND cooling system. Otherwise the last thing you want in the summer is the heating coming on at some points and thus reducing the ability of the house to stay cool.

xcracer1
    Free Member

Mine is on.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Hurray, the fire is now lit 😀

lambchop
    Free Member

Thermostat always set to 19, heating came on for the first time around 5 a.m this morning.

rosscore
    Free Member

Bunged it on yesterday and turned the stat down to 19 hoping she won’t spot it. Had three months gas free use so can’t really complain, then later today it turned quite warm again.

marcus7
    Free Member

I keep ours off as much as possible as my wife insists on having the bedroom windows open at night and the bedroom doors open so all the heat has an easy escape…. :evil:. We have underfloor heating which only I know how to use so I have that off as well… 😀

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yup after replacing the remote room stat and 230v switching receiver, which due to a loose connection arcing (the **** whoever fitted it not me BTW) also burnt out the transformer in the mechanical clock 😐

Me fixed it now though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Central heating: is yours on yet?’ is closed to new replies.