• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by twonks.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Centerlock Tool – again
  • onewheelgood

I know this has been done before but I’ve read those threads and there doesn’t seem to be definitive answer. There are a lot of very unhelpful answers saying you need a different lockring, which obviously is difficult if you can’t get the existing lockring off. Sometimes I love the internet. Anyway…

I’d like to get the axle out. To get the axle out, I need to get the endcap off. To get the endcap off I need to remove the rotor. My Park Tools lockring tool is not deep enough to reach the splines of the Centerlock lockring. So my question is, which lockring tool is deep enough with a sufficiently large central hole to fit over a bolt-thru axle?

TIA

davros

The cheapo decathlon one worked for me. DT Swiss boost if it matters.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/hg-bike-cassette-remover-wrench/_/R-p-100525

alanf
    Free Member

The icetools above is the one I got

cchris2lou

I have the same tool as the op and drilled it to make it fit, dt swiss boost wheels. Wasnt easy.

onewheelgood

Brilliant, thanks folks. I thought it was the Ice Toolz one, it looks like it should work but it’s good to have confirmation.

mos

Yup, same issue here, Icetoolz sorted it.

dc1988

Once you have it off then you could switch to a HTII lockring so you don’t need a special tool in future

igm

I found some HT-II tools fouled the disc rivets or hub’s end cap, so I use this Park one where I have the BB style centerlock lockring (the other type of centerlock)

Park Tool Bottom Bracket Tool BBT-69.2

onewheelgood

Once you have it off then you could switch to a HTII lockring so you don’t need a special tool in future

I’m not sure that it’s worth buying a new lockring in order to use the special tool for HT2 BBs so that I don’t have to use the special tool that I had to buy to get the current lockring off. But I’ll certainly consider it.

montgomery
    Free Member

Just curious, have you tried getting a set of molgrips on the lockring to shift it? Then buy a better suited lockring rather than a new tool.

onewheelgood

Just curious, have you tried getting a set of molgrips on the lockring to shift it? Then buy a better suited lockring rather than a new tool.

Haven’t tried that. The tool costs about the same as 2 lockrings though, so is cheaper than getting new lockrings for all my Centerlock bolt-thru hubs, all of which were supplied with the cassette type lockrings.

montgomery
    Free Member

Fair enough, makes sense. I’ve got old skool QR hubs that work fine with cassette type lockrings, but I’m surprised now-standard thru-axle hubs are being shipped with the same lockrings. I recently bought Shimano 6-bolt to centrelock adapters for a project and they came with HTII lockrings as standard. Might be the way to go with one eye on future proofing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372574748766?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7WirsyLWQX-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=fskVY7jvSgK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

scotroutes

I have a Pedros cassette tool that works ok with those lockrings.

igm

Cassette lock rings work well with thru axles (they have to really for the right hand side of the bike)

If I’m honest, I prefer them to BB style lock rings. Far more positive engagement of the tool.

zerocool

I’m pretty sure that the last time I had to remove centre lock rotors I just used a cheap Halfords version of what you had.

Although they were QR do it might not work with your axles.

Have you thought about popping to the LBS. I’m sure they’d do it for a few quid in the tips jar or something. And then you could see what tool they use. Would save you guessing.

twonks

The Icetoolz one works. I bought one for exactly the same reason.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.