Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)
  • Celebs you have bumped into and what were they like?
  • Kuco

Nearly knocked of my bike by Princess Diana when she came flying out of Althorp years ago. Also met Adrian Edmondson and Jennifer Saunders.

IHN

Sold Gary Wilmot some GT85

We have a winner! 🙂

BigJohn

Saw Neil Morrissey on Cannock Chase about 9:30 Sunday morning a few weeks ago. He looked like he'd just finished a bit of filming. I said hello and he was cheery enough.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    atlaz
    Free Member

Actually bumped into Gavin Rossdale who was walking with Gwen Stefani around Bond Street. He apologised.

Got flipped off by Tim Rice on the M4 sliproad near Heathrow once too after I "expressed my dissatisfaction" at him cutting me up.

Alex

Steve Peat in the bogs at the Bike Show 2001. That doesn't sound great does it? Anyway, afterwards he signed my programme and had a chat. Top Man.

Michael Portillo on a flight back from somewhere after he'd been an MP. Sat next to him and ending up talking about this programme he was making about Guantanamo bay. Assumed he was a pompus knob, but ended up liking the fella.

Jimmy White at Singapore airport. Man he looked rough and this was a few years ago.

Had a splff with Wet Wet Wet's drummer near NEC in Brum. Big trade show we were doing, back at hotel Marty Pello was collecting room keys off every girl in the bar it seemed.

Harry_the_Spider

How times have changed. They're giving Gary Wilmot away with GT85 these days.

Alex

Oh and a few of us who used to ride in the Chilterns saw Paxman a few times walking his dog. He didn't seem keen to have a chat…

LHS
    Free Member

Met Alec Baldwin on a chairlift and ended up skiing with him for a few runs. Nice enough fella.

Digby

I let Courtney Love use my phone – she was very sweet & polite

clubber
    Free Member

Just remembered a couple

– Met the guy who played the butler in the Fresh Prince of Belair – Geoffrey – when working at LBS. Turns out he's a cyclist (road). Nice guy though sounds exactly the same as on TV which I found quite disconcerting as I had always assumed it was an accent put on for the yank audience.

– Saw Princess Di a couple of days before she died, in Harrods. FWIW, she was actually quite stunning in person – much more so than I'd have ever thought from seeing her pics on TV/etc.

– Was best man at a wedding where Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket) was a very good friends of the bride's parents. Lovely lady actually. Luckily nothing like her TV character 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

"Sold Gary Wilmot some GT85"

Brilliant

I've introduce Barry McGuigan to Tony Hawk.

Barry was super nice, Tony was very quiet and nervous

munkster
    Free Member

Judy Simpson (Heptathlete or "Nightshade" as she was at the time on GLADIATOOORRRRSSS) bought a newly-redundant GCSE Maths revision book off me at a car boot sale in the early 90s.

DezB
    Free Member

Met Joe Strummer at a Pulp gig in Portsmouth. Shook his hand and said "Thanks". He was cool. Surprisingly small hands.

Shouted a request a John Peel at a gig. Everyone knows he was simply a wonderful man 🙂

badnewz
    Free Member

i frequently bumped into daily mail cultural Conservative journalist Peter Hitchens, riding a very old bike around Oxford. He's into cycling as an expression of traditionalist politics it seems. Can't see him upgrading to a full suss anytime soon.

docrobster
    Free Member

Met Johnny Vegas outside a pub in Robin Hoods Bay a couple of years ago. I had walked past him and when I caught up with the family told them who it was. My 8yr old daughter who had never heard of him dragged me back up the hill and ask for a photo. He was pleasant enough. He had a pint of guinness in his hand.

Met Jarvis Cocker at walberswick last summer. He was crabbing with his sister and her family and his bacon fell off the line so I gave him some of ours. Was too star struck to speak to him but my wife took a sneaky photo,

Also met the other significant music person from Sheffield, Phil Oakey in the showroom bar at my mate's leaving do. Said mate's missus is an old school pall of Phil's bird so he was chatting to us quite normal.

kaysee

I had a wee next to Dick Strawbridge from Scrapheap, at Bristol Airport.

I know he's a bit portly, but I doubt they call him 'big dick'…

badnewz
    Free Member

its odd the way people feel able to strike up a conversation with a celeb, but not with a normal stranger.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Cliff Richard in then GF's parent's house about 72 – came across as a nice guy
    Mike Read – Radio 1 DJ, beat him at table tennis when both of us pissed – nob
    Phil Read – motorcycle racing god when he was still racing. Mate and I knocked on this front door. Spent about half an hour showing us his bikes and chatting – top bloke
    Jackie Stewart at a business event I was running – very professional, very sharp, very stand offish
    Prince Charles at a garden party at his house (Mrs M was florist there for a year) – professional sheen of niceness
    Tom Jones in the lounge at Heathrow T5 about 3 weeks ago – porkier and stiffer than seems on TV but genuine bloke

woody2000

Natasha Bedingfield touched my bum at LAX :-). She has a nice smile.

(I backed into her yanking my suitcase off the luggage carousel)

Howard Donald off his face DJing in Newcastle somewhere (I too may have been, ermm, distracted). He was a bit of a knob TBH.

Wiggo at the Revolution series in Manc – lovely chap 🙂

nacho
    Free Member

Met Joe Strummer in the loo's at the 100 Club, seemed nice but I only said "hello, great gig, s**t it's hot in there" I was a bit gobsmacked / speechless (even though it was his gig) as he was always my favourite musician since around 1979 when I was 13 years old.
    RIP Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmHchGwtuTA

andytherocketeer

Was in a cafeteria (Lord Glasgow's place) and in walked Boris Johnson.

Also Stirling Moss, Peter Duncan, Thatcher, John Major (both whilst PM), and the sister of the girls that played the Alessi twins in neighbours in my old apartment in Putney (OK that's pushing the "celeb" bit a bit far).

badnewz
    Free Member

OK that's pushing the "celeb" bit a bit far

to push it even further, i went to uni with the cousin of the girl who played zac's love interest in saved by the bell, tiffani amber theissen.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Right…
    My uncle's best man was Ian Duncan Smith's brother (they met at Borstal!!! Do the tabloids know that I wonder?)
    I had a drink with Johnny Vegas after a radio show I appeared on (Genius with Dave Gorman) – very lovely bloke.
    I was in the National MTB champs back in about 1991 at Scarborough and John Leslie was one of my fellow racers. They were filming it for Blue Peter. Later that day was stood behind Helen Sharman (woman astronaut) at the water bowser. I got my self on film on both occasions.

robdob
    Free Member

Lance Armstrong in a spar shop in Tenerife, with Sheryl Crow buying coffee and choclate digestives (i have eaten a packet every day since but still not got faster),

LMAO! I've been trying that too, doesn't work! Maybe it's the way we are chewing them or something.

Jackie Stewart, just read his book and I thought he sounded ok when he was younger but a bit too business like and "ooo look at me I have so many famous connections and I'm the best business man in the world" nowadays. Sounds like he's like that in real life too.

andytherocketeer

Oh met Helen Sharman too. And Patrick Moore.

And bumped in to Prof. Heinz Wolff at Oxford Station once. He's a good guy.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Reminds me – Patrick Moore and Brian May used to stay with my in-laws every now and again (astronomical connections). Not met him myself, but I am assured that Patrick Moore is as mad as a bag of frogs, but perfectly pleasant company!

teagirl
    Free Member

Judy Dench was having a meal at the next table to ours a couple of weeks ago whilst on holiday.

Also was on a trip to Dublin in mid-90's and was in a great restaurant when in walked the Sinn Fein party having retired from their conference! Jerry, Martyn, Ken, etc…..

iainc

first honeymoon in '92 – same small hotel in Tunisia as Johnny Ball – had a few drinks poolside with him and his family most days (unfortunately no Zoe there though 😥 ) nice guy, very entertaining after a few beers

last yr – rode for a couple of hrs round my home patch of lochwinnoch and Howwood with Lance when he did his Paisley ride – top guy, spoke with everyone, very genuine

oh, another one, not me but my Dad – him and my mum and a few friends were having a quiet dinner in a posh restauarant in Howth about 20 yrs ago – bunch of rowdy yanks at the next table who were getting all the waitress attention. My dad eventually got up and told the ringleader to calm down, stop his singing as he was disturbing the place. he recounted the story to me and the GF later that night (we were on holiday with them and had opted to go to the chippy instead) – me 'any idea who it was ' Dad ? 'can't remember, Bruce something… Springburn or somat…..'

yes, it was actually Springsteen and my old man told him to stop singing 😛

Pook

John Craven, once in the Peaks filming, once i interviewed him (twice)
    Kate Humble – interviewed
    Peter Duncan – on a cliff in devon on hoiday
    Kris Akabusi (awesome bloke) – interviewed
    Ashley the vicar from Emmerdale
    Phil Oakey shopping in Crookes, Sheffield
    Jarvis Cocker drinking in Sheffield
    Drove a remote controlled car into John Leslie's foot
    Jonathan Ross twice, once in St Pancras, once in Alton Towers
    Lily Cole in St Pancras

erm, i'm sure there's more. I'll have a think.

edit: birthday party in Dublin where the Dubliners were playing
    Tim Minchin after a gig. Lovely fella

molgrips
    Free Member

I once was in a pub in Oxford with friends and noticed that the Levellers were sat on the table behind us. I didn't say anything (despite them being my fave band at the time), cos they were just out for a pint of course – but someone we were with did. They were nice and friendly, but left soon after. Don't blame them tbh.

Also, Pete Postlethwaite sat down opposite me on a train – with a friend. They talked non-stop, and didn't say anything to me apart from asking what stop was next or what time it was or some such.

Also saw Ray Mears filming a piece on the Beacons once whilst out for a walk. Chatted to his producer.

Craig Charles drank in my sister's then local – turned up on Sunday Lunchtime in his roller, had a pint and an orange juice, read his paper and left.

My Dad used to work with Max Boyce.

My mum beat Mary Peters in the All England 110yd hurldes in 1963 or something.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

daughter had photo taken with Brad Wiggibns in Manchester, seemed like a top bloke

richmtb

I have a mate that did quite a bit of freelance work for BBC Scotland and I used to help him out occasionally so I met quite a few scottish celebs and sports people.

Most were pretty cool. Ally McCoist made me a cup of tea while we were filming some stuff at Rugby Park and Dougie Vipond is just one of the nicest blokes you could hope to meet.

Ford Keirnan (the short fat one off Chewin the Fat and Still Game) however is a ****t

tobyho
    Free Member

I got really drunk with Bruce Dickinson (of Iron Maiden) once. Just he and I in a pub in Chiswick. He was ok.

Got drunk with David Gray once – top chap.

Liam Gallagher at a hotel in London. Good bloke. He was wearing skinny jeans.

I saw Russell Brand go past me yesterday in a taxi. I was very excited as I am aware he and Katy are buying a house in Danbury Common where we ride our bikes… Imagine that Katy Perry walking her poodles in her West Ham kit as I ride past; a bead of my sweat vaporising on to her immaculate lips.

erm. Tony Ben – I saw him Camden High Street. I shook his hand. I think he initially thought I was going attack him.

DJ Shadow – backstage at Brixton. Had a long chat with him. Could not have been nicer.

My mum made curtains for Bruce Forsyth when I was a kid. Bruce waived at me whilst I waited in the car. I think he quite fancied my mum.

I see that bloke from Peep Show constantly (Jez. Not David Mitchel). He lives near my office in London. Once, suffering from a kind of torrets, I shouted that 'he was a Mac' to him from accross the street, in reference to the adverts plastered all over London at the time; he smiled weekly. I then saw him at the cash point a week later. I suggested that he must have 'millions in the bank'; he denied this. He now literally crosses the road when he sees me coming. I will try and take a photo next time this happens and put it on here.

woody2000

tobyho – You didn't know Jill Dando did you? 😯

DezB
    Free Member

badnewz – Member
    its odd the way people feel able to strike up a conversation with a celeb, but not with a normal stranger

No its not.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Many people have met me on STW rides and at the BigBikeBash. 😀

I don't do autographs.

DezB
    Free Member

And just like the majority of today's "celebrities" you have absolutely no talent 😉

anokdale
    Free Member

Bumped into literally Oliver Reid, long time ago obviously, a few of us were on leave and staying a the Union Jack club near Waterloo, he insisted on buying us a pint which turned into quite a few.

Met many of the Royals when i was in the mob, Diana was a stunner close up for sure, Princess Anne the dogs gonads, no airs and graces and even had a cup of tea out of a plastic cup with us. Charles is straight down the line, no humour or sense of reality. Queen mum was laugh, very knowledgable even in the last few years.

One of the Geo guys in the office here was at college in California, he went to a thanksgiving meal at his then girlfriends house, knock on the door in walks Cameron Diaz and Justin Trousersnake, Camerons mum lived next door and Cameron grew up with his girlfriend, she forgot to tell him, apparently they were down to earth and were driving a Toyota car.

anokdale
    Free Member

I also was in a pub in West London once and Jason Donavon came in, he knew the girl i was with and sat down for a chat, actually came across as a decent fella.

aviemoron
    Free Member

Julia Bradbury was in the Cairngorms doing a bit on avalanche forecasting, I was one of the pervs safety team, lovely lady to follow up a steep hill, nice personality too….

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Celebs you have bumped into and what were they like?’ is closed to new replies.