Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • CCTV for home. Reccomend me happy
  • v8ninety

So, fairly sure we’ve been victims of domestic oil theft. In the spirit of closing stable doors and all that, please recommend me a home cctv system that is a) good value b) has a couple of cameras, and 3) is accessible from elsewhere but records at home.

I’m also really open to suggestions of features that I don’t know I need but will be glad of when I have them, having never dabbled in this stuff before. Thank you please…

CHB

There are lots of options for conventional CCTV. At the moment I also have an unusual installation, which is a welcome addition and might be a cheap way to get you started.
    Got an old iPhone? Then buy a bar mount waterproof case and install an app called “manything”. obviously you need to get power to the phone too, but for £3 a month I have live streaming, web recording and instant notifications to my actual phone if any movement is detected.

rone

Arlo is great if not too far away from the router. Flexibility of wireless means batteries every 5-6 months but you can move them around.

They have night vision, weather proof and record to a cloud system that is free. They will also trigger your phone app.

Buy in 1 or more camera systems. Mine’s been flawless. Maybe one crash in 12 months.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eskay

bookmarked

ton

a good quality hd 4 camera system will cost about £400
    i sell cctv.

you can buy systems a lot cheaper. for a reason.

v8ninety

Manything downloaded and being played with as I type, thank you. Ton; how much of that £400 is hardware, vs installation? Are your systems installable by a relatively handy user?

ton

the price is for the equipment. installation is pretty straight forward. the hdr comes with a barcode scan so not need for setting up a ip address.
    hardest part is hiding the cables.

fisha
    Free Member

Sannke network recorder with 4 hd ip cameras and a 1tb hdd for sub £200 in amazon.

Can be setup to be viewed remote and also motion detection (I’ve not done this but my dad has )

Had this setup for about a year and it’s been great.

v8ninety

Thanks fisha, looking into that. Also, bump for the day crowd?

simmy
    Free Member

I got a Swann from Maplin a couple of years ago when I had a idiot renting next door and had my window smashed by her son.

It’s 4 channel but I’m just running 2 cameras at the moment. It’s not too bad but I only really use it just to see who is at the door and to keep an eye on the cars and van. My neighbour had his car stolen a while ago and the police viewed my footage and said it was better than a lot they had seen.

There is an I phone app so I can view it remotely.

bails

I’ve got an Arlo too. Seems good, I got an alert when a robin was flying around in the garage!

Free Member

If you have a NAS at home then you can use IP (internet protocol, not ingress protection) cameras, usually connected via a cat5 cable with power running over that too. Super easy to access online but change the default password otherwise you’ll be found on http://www.shodan.io

I think there’s also ‘cloud’ storage for ip cameras too, so you may not need a NAS at home

deadkenny
    Free Member

What’s domestic oil theft?

Is that oil for heating, in which case would that be stored outside?

Would sound very targeted on one thing they’re after, and not a risk to breaking in the home if that’s the case (though maybe they’ll be taking a look at the house security at the same time, or maybe burglary is not their thing, just nicking oil).

Anyway, got friends who mess about with IP cameras and sensors, hook them up to Raspberry Pi or servers and they send alerts. One has a camera on the door which takes a photo of everyone at the door and pings their phone.

Not sure what’s involved in all this though but interested in getting into this. I’ve got a Synology NAS and it comes with a surveillance module which I believe I just need to hook up some IP cameras to use it. Tricky bit is power at the point where the camera is.

footflaps

What’s domestic oil theft?

Is that oil for heating, in which case would that be stored outside?

Very common, as everyone in the village has £1000 worth of oil in a plastic tub in their garden. The tanks are normally hidden by shrubs as they’re ugly, so nice and easy to steal. Just need access to garden, 18v drill and a tube…

Free Member

If you have a NAS at home then you can use IP (internet protocol, not ingress protection) cameras, usually connected via a cat5 cable with power running over that too. Super easy to access online but change the default password otherwise you’ll be found on http://www.shodan.io

I think there’s also ‘cloud’ storage for ip cameras too, so you may not need a NAS at home

v8ninety

Very common, as everyone in the village has £1000 worth of oil in a plastic tub in their garden. The tanks are normally hidden by shrubs as they’re ugly, so nice and easy to steal. Just need access to garden, 18v drill and a tube…

Its even easier if you’ve got a tank that has a convenient stop tap that is both insecure and easy to access <face palm>. Hence the ‘fairly sure’ rather than ‘I have been’ in my OP. But 500ltrs in three weeks is horribly excessive and there’s no sign of a leak, so yep, fairly sure.

Thanks for input so far guys.

spectabilis
    Free Member

For a fresh install head down the I.P route, Childs play to install and being a network based system versatile with cable routing by using ethernet mains adaptors etc.

http://www.cctvkits.co.uk

craig24
    Free Member

Is there any wireless systems worth having? I am considering a 2 camera setup myself.

rone

I will mention Arlo again craig.

We have a wired system at work and sure it’s more robust but I prefer the Arlo for home use.

craig24
    Free Member

Cheers rone I’ll take a look.

benp1

Also interested in CCTV too so keeping an eye on this thread

The more wireless the better really

dooosuk
    Free Member

I bought one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sinocam-H-264-2MP-HD-ONVIF-1080P-IR-Night-Vision-Outdoor-CCTV-Network-IP-Camera-/350919781523?hash=item51b472ec93:g:8TIAAOSw44BYN9mk

and have had it streaming footage to http://www.angelcam.com for the past year as they had free cloud storage. Unfortunately they’ve just changed this and so now I’ve bought one of these with a 2TB WD Purple HDD:
    http://www.tomtop.com/cctv-cameras-1038/p-s622-uk.html

Picture is pretty quality good (even night vision) and it’s lasting well.

bails

The more wireless the better really

I needed the same which is why I ended up with the Arlo. Everything else needed plugging in for power or network access.

bennn
    Free Member

ton mind if I email you a few questions?

Thanks, Ben.

footflaps

Just installed the Presence app on an old iPhone 3G, and it is now a remote CCTV…

Video quality is a bit naff, but that’s the phone rather than the App. I get an email every time it detects motions with a link to a clip of the film on their server.

https://app.presencepro.com

First month is free, after that it costs $60ish a year.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m looking into this at the moment too. Swann at marlin get good reviews but are wired. With a big house it’s going to be a right faff with wired cameras. Only downside to those ayros is they look easily nick able.

What system sends you an alarm or something rather than a email alert which you may or may not see?

Nest look very smart but are pricey and have a subscription model

bails

Arlo can send a notification via the smartphone app (and/or an email, configurable by individual cameras in case you want one to email and one to ‘notify’), I’m sure Next and the others do the same.

Matt-P
    Free Member

Bookmarked

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

With the Arlos what re chargable battery’s would last the longest.

I like the idea of them and think they would be safe from theft if installed just out sisde the upstairs windows. This would also save getting the big ladders from work to change the battery.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Aren’t rechargeable ones just going to be a pain in the a$$? What happens if you forget to recharge them and then have an incident? Just seems like a lot of hassle to me unless I’m missing something.

bails

With the Arlos what re chargable battery’s would last the longest

I don’t think you can use rechargeables. The manual says you can’t, don’t know if they’d work in reality though.

ourmaninthenorth

Bookmarked

+1

rone

I don’t think you can use rechargeables. The manual says you can’t, don’t know if they’d work in reality though.

They do a rechargeable camera now.

DT78
    Free Member

Just looked they ayro do a pro version now with rechargeable batteries. Premium price tag though.

winrya
    Free Member

Purchased an arlo in mid November and it’s a superb bit of kit. Alerts me whenever anyone steps on to the drive. Quality is good and ability to access from anywhere is very handy. Mine is positioned above the garage to cover the drive. Takes some time to set up the sensitivity. At first every car that passed the road set it off but knocked down to 70% sensitivity it rarely goes off incorrectly. Quite impressed with battery. I purchased a load of Panasonic batteries from amazon at the same time but almost 10 weeks in original batteries are still at 79% so looks like it will last well over 6 months with my setup

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Just installed the Arlo after reading this thread. The price has dropped to £79 per extra camera( with the new pricey upgrade due soon) – all seems really good, one above bike shed and one on front and back of house. The only concern is battery life, but as it tells you clearly on the App the level can’t see it being an issue

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘CCTV for home. Reccomend me happy’ is closed to new replies.