Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • CCTV cameras for use with NAS
  • alanf
    Free Member

I’ve got a Synology NAS and want to run some cameras from this.
    Any recommendations on cameras and what type (wired/wireless/PoE)?
    I’ve seen some Foscam units which look reasonable but I’ve no idea if they are any good or good value. They are however compatible with the NAS.

alanf
    Free Member

Anyone?

ton

don’t know much about NAS, but qvis do some cheapish ip camera’s.

alanf
    Free Member

Cheers Ton, I’ll take a look.
    NAS is just the means to store the footage.
    I think Synology have a program that sits and the NAS drive to mange it so would just be the cameras I’m looking at rather than a system.

allthepies
    Free Member

Synology Surveillance Station is the app which runs on the NAS and monitors your camera(s). The app is free to install and comes with a one camera licence. If you want additional cameras hooking up to it then you need to obtain additional licence keys (they ain’t cheap). Alternatively if you get a camera which can detect motion and then upload image data to a FTP server then you can enable FTP on the NAS and have the camera upload images that way (without using Surveillance Station).

What’s your budget per camera ? And do you need indoor or outdoor coverage ?

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve not really considered budget as yet, but will be looking at outdoor 2, possibly 3 cameras.
    I want something that isn’t going to pack up after a few years but doesn’t have to be all singing/dancing either.

allthepies
    Free Member

I like the look of these

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=1791

or a turret style version.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?p=2135

3Mp and compatible with Synology (either via Surveillance Station or writing direct to the NAS using NFS).

Not cheap though! About £150 each purchasing in UK, cheaper if you’re willing to buy from China.

phead
    Free Member

focam units will work, as do many of the copies(like mine), but the HD ones apparently might cause some problems. The range isn’t great on the wireless versions, so depends where you router is.

Plenty of other threads on the surveillance station forum (synology site)

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve used D Link 942L cameras with my NAS before and it worked really well.

Bare in mind the software is only licensed for one camera by default and you need to pay for more licenses if you want more cameras.

alanf
    Free Member

Seems like Surveillance station is not the way to go but to FTP to the NAS instead.

For the PoE versions, can this be connected via a home plug for a more reliable connection or would it need cable to be layed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘CCTV cameras for use with NAS’ is closed to new replies.