• This topic has 27 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • CCDB weight saving with a titanium spring
  • jonke
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone know what the weight saving would be for a CCDB for a Nomad 2 – (215mm(8.5″) x 63mm(2.5″) 450lb spring over the standard steel?

Where would i get one from? I’ve had a look around but it gets very confusing with the various options.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try Loco,I think his Ti springs come from the same factory as the Cane Creek jobbies, but are a bit cheaper without a logo stamped on them.

messiah
    Free Member

Cane creek steel spring will be about 520g and Ti will be about 310g.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simonm
    Free Member

whos loco.. also intrested in same upgrade. I worked out a 400lb spring in Ti saves 200g.

sam2391
    Free Member

Google loco tuning hes also a member on here under the name LoCo

simonm
    Free Member

ta

duir
    Free Member

Savings are pretty minuscule considering the cost and there is zero performance gain over steel. Really only any value to an elite racer where 100 grammes is the difference between winning and loosing. I bought my ti spring for my CCDB because I really like the look of titanium, otherwise it’s a complete waste of money!!!

There was a company somewhere in the UK doing smart looking gray springs made of special steel and about the same weight as ti but under £100.

Rik
    Free Member

My CCDB weighs 620 Inc hardware for a 400w ti spring and damper 190×50

Rik
    Free Member

Don’t agree with duir at all. If it’s for a trail bike Ti is a great option to regin in the excess if yOur light on the body weight Ti springs in heavier weight are not that far off steel

kevolution
    Free Member

I kind of agree with Duir and Rik. For the average DH racer, the CCDB shock will be so much better than the stock one, the last thing on your mind will be weight saving until you’ve got your settings sorted.
    For trail bikes though, if you’ve decided to fit the CCBD, you’ll basically nullify the weight difference from changing to a coil if you run a Ti spring. And have more conrol over the damping adjustment.

jockthestore
    Free Member

I asked this question when I got my CCDB from TF tuned, and they wreconed it wasn’t worth it, so I stuck with steel. You could save the 100g by leaving your phone in the car at the start of the ride….

Ambrose

jock- true

messiah
    Free Member

Or, if you love your bike and everything else on is perfect then why not save 200g and buy that Ti spring baby!

Radioman

Agree with messiah. If its a top end bike with top gear a ti spring compliments the bike. On its own a ti spring won’t do much to any bike, but it can complete a superb build looks bling and saves a bit more weight without any downside or breakage risk, unlike weight saving with other components.

fivespot
    Free Member

jonke…I got a Ti RCS (Renton Coil Spring) 450 x 2.8 that I am about to sell, which should fit. It has just been taken off a Roco RC WC 215 X 63mm shock. It has an inside dia. of 36.3mm which is the correct size in/dia Cane Creek quote for the Double Barrel. Most springs out there are 35-6mm in/dia, and although some will fit the CCDB, they may bind or rub on the on the plastic wear sleeve (which I know is what its there for) not only effecting shock performance and wearing the inside of the spring, but worst of all it makes a bloody annoying noise. Which I found out when I fitted a Nuke Proof Ti spring to my CCDB.

Anyhow, the spring is pictured below, and along side a Marz 500 x 2.5 spring for length comparison. marz free length 146mm, RCS 151MM.
    These retail for about £200, I want £95 (1st class rec.) If your interested. Good luck if your not 8)

Northwind

I’ve never used one… Lots of people reckon they’re more “supple”, though o’course that’s an excellently vague handwavey term that can mean anything- anyone here believe there’s a performance difference, or is it just weight?

neallyman
    Free Member

No performance gain whatsoever, weight loss minimal. It’s all about the looks. Was for me anyway.

BTW Nukeproof Ti springs fit CCDB’s perfectly. And it’s K9 industries who do the ti lookilikey made from steel. Not a bad option either.

messiah
    Free Member

215 x 63 CCDB = 550g + 450# Steel coil at 520g = 1070g

215 x 63 CCDB + 450# Ti coil at 310g = 860g

215 x 63 Fox Float = 280g

Spot the lightest option… but the CCDB does feel much better in the GNAR!

I once had a 375# 5th Element Ti coil for this size of shock which weighed 180g… shame I had to run my frame on the 4″ travel setting to get it to work.

jonke
    Free Member

Hi Fivespot – I would be interested – how old is it and why are you selling?

Having gone from a fox rp23 to the CCDB – my original intention was to swap back to air can depending on the type of riding i was doing. the difference was so profound there is no way i’m taking the ccdb off!

However – its now pushed the bike to just over 34lb’s and it is starting to feel a little lardy so I need to shave some weight somewhere.

fivespot
    Free Member

Hi jonke…Its about 2 years old, but has had very little use, which is the reason for selling. It was on my Alpine 160, which FOR 98% of the time I have owned it, has had the RP23 fitted. I neither have the skills or get to the places that would do a good coil shock justice 😳

jonke
    Free Member

will email you.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

+1 for air cans 🙂

Radioman

Coil for me every time.

jonke
    Free Member

In case anyone is interested the weight difference for me based on the spring i bought off of fivespot (thanks mate picked up this morning) based on my kitchen scales is:

215 x 63 CCDB = 470g + 450# Steel coil at 530g = 1005g
    215 x 63 CCDB + 450# Ti coil at 370g = 840g

warpcow
    Free Member

When I got a DHX5 for my Heckler I also bought a 400lb Manitou spring. It came with a 450lb Fox spring, which I never used until last week. I weighed both while swapping and the Manitou was 451g, but the Fox was only 356g. That’s on a 200×57 shock, but still feels like a pretty extreme difference.

GW
    Free Member

anyone here believe there’s a performance difference, or is it just weight?

only percievable performance difference other than less weight is Ti springs tend to be more accurately calibrated.
    they are just two metals wound to compress a specified distance per specified load, even if the properties meant one extended quicker than the other with modern shock damping it would make no difference. A spring with 8 coil winds may well perform (compress/extend) slightly differently to the same rate spring with only 5 winds (ie. Ti) but which is better for this application? and why? until someone answers this I’ll stick with my first statement.

isn’t about time we had carbon shock springs anyway?

warpcow – fox/manitou springs are different free lengths/windings too

nacho
    Free Member

Five spot – did you sell your spring? I have a DHX5 on my Heckler and it takes a 450 x 2.8 spring so I think yours would work and I’m looking for one

cheers

Nacho

hora
    Free Member

THAT much for 200gm saving? On a fat knacker like me its poibtless

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘CCDB weight saving with a titanium spring’ is closed to new replies.