Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Cav reflecting on the TdF, his diet, training and Olympic Glory…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s old but I found it this morning… with all the stuff that I’ve followed from links on here I feel I’ve got a greater appreciation for what he’s saying than I did 9 months ago.

Following the Team Sky chef on Twitter at the minute and it seems he’ll be eating a little differently for this years Tour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/14369476

Solo
    Free Member

I am actually reading ” Sky’s the limit ” at the moment.

Caused me to smile when I read a line where an old time pro talks of doing a 6 hour ride on two, not one, but two table spoons of Olive Oil.

Doesn’t mention whether it was Extra vrigin though.
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Someone of this parish has tried doing similar. I might go and buy some flaxseed oil and see what I can do.

Is the book any good?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oddjob
    Free Member

don’t ride too far away from the toilet if you try two spoons of falx seed oil 🙂

Good stuff once you get over the gag reflex

Solo
    Free Member

Is the book any good?

Its Ok, worth a read.

Its off the back of reading..

Dog in a Hat.
    The rider.
    Racing through the dark.

On the subject of diet.
    I think I’ve hit the glass floor with the diet.

More drastic measures may be required.
    I started to suffer Yeti-alightus during the long W/E.
    I was in the gym most days…
    🙁

Whats happening to me ?.

I’ve even started Trying on the static bike in the gym.
    I use to get to 26Km in an hour.
    Now I’m almost 32Km in the hour.

Solo
    Free Member

Good stuff once you get over the gag reflex

😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Good work Solo!

Do it for the love though, not the waistline!

You may need more frequent carb-cycling? Do you want me to buy a Paleo cookbook to redress the balance? Have read a book about the Dukan diet this weekened if it’s any comfort (shit IMO).

Solo
    Free Member

Do it for the love though, not the waistline!

Thats the issue.

Rumour has that I have a waist.

I am, therefore, in search of it.

I feel a bout of diet stupidity coming on…
    🙁

EDIT:

That should perhaps read…
    An increase in Diet stupidity.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What are your diet plans then?

Just how stupid are you going to go? I’ve set myself an 11 stone target. First thing that I’m stopping is the mrs making cakes and cookies.

I ate 7 cookies yesterday 😳 Not counting the broken bits!

Solo
    Free Member

What are your diet plans then?

Eat less.
    Its the only thing I can think of.
    I’m already low GI and have cut back on the booze (red wine) and Choc (Dark).

**Wonders what would happen if he slurped 3 table spoons of EVOO**

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You thought of shaking your diet up a bit… go high GI for a day?

Eat only protein for another?

Damn some of the dukan diet stuck in my memory.

Solo
    Free Member

You thought of shaking your diet up a bit

I’m really not sure what to do this side of a yohimbine feast.

Its the SSF, you see.

I’m guessing the only way is SMTFU ?.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve set myself an 11 stone target.

Molly does not approve of abitrary numbers…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What makes you think it’s arbitrary.

Have you considered setting yourself a scientifically calculated target?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think I lack the resources to calculate a target. I don’t know what BF % is optimum for my body and I have no idea how to calculate it.

oddjob
    Free Member

I have an 86 kg target, that’s not arbitrary, but calculated.

Try drinking 2 slugs of flax seed oil from the bottle without gagging on the second one… Then you’ll know what I mean.

Helped my diet the first few times as it made me feel so nauseous that I couldn’t consider eating for at least half a day 😈

Solo
    Free Member

I have an 86 kg target, that’s not arbitrary, but calculated.

Hows that then ?.
    😀

oddjob
    Free Member

lean body mass (total mass – fat mass) x 1.1 to give me a target weight for 10% body fat.

does that make sense for you? (the calculation I mean, not the reasoning!)

Somehow it’s all arbitrary in the end though, who says that 10% body fat is right for me?

Solo
    Free Member

Not sure about arbitrary, but my SSF is getting on me tits.

Oh, err, if you see what I mean.

EDIT:

OddJob.
    I’ve no idea if that Calc is good or not.

Something tells me TSY may know though.

oddjob
    Free Member

SSF?

Sub – something FAT?

Solo
    Free Member

Stubborn, Stomach Fat.

I’m reasonably lean everywhere else.
    Not vien popping or owt, but OK.
    Its just the SSF.

🙁

EDIT:
    I wonder what Mr Kristiansen would recommend.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I think I lack the resources to calculate a target.

So you’re not aiming for anything physique wise? So I guess you think about diet purely based on your reading around what’s healthy?

Calc makes sense to me… although calculation of fat mass currently eludes me. Pinch test, mirror test and an understanding of my own body based on experience is what guides me.

“SSF” – you’ll be storing a lot more fat on the rest of your body than you perhaps appreciate. It’s just not so noticable.

I’ve just been out and bought whole linseed as I remember reading that some of it’s benefits are lost in the conversion to oil.

Solo
    Free Member

“SSF” – you’ll be storing a lot more fat on the rest of your body than you perhaps appreciate. It’s just not so noticable.

Great !.

So just how fat am I ?.

EDIT:

I’m 6′ 1″
    81.7Kg
    I’m wearing 32W 34L 501s
    A Ralph Lauren Shirt, pink/mauve check.
    Crocket Jones Shoes
    An Omega De Ville watch.
    I have brown coloured hair, going white at the sides.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Weight makes a difference but performance matters more. Surely diet should boost performance as riders? Unless you just want to be thinner then diet.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm – 32″ waist isn’t exactly fat… suppose it’s relative to the rest of your body.

I’ve got my waist down to 30″ from 32″ and it’s during this time that veins have started showing all over the place, and other parts of the body that I thought were lean have developed more definition. It’s probably most telling in the face… even my skull feels leaner.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cant seem to find the language you lot are using on google translate.

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m basing fat % on fat measuring scales and a look in the mirror. It’s not that scientific, but I can see that I can get to that weight without dying.

I am not sure I’ll manage it in the near future though. For me it is simply about performance on my bike. I want to win a race or two before I die even if it is only as a cat D

As for the linseed/flaxseed. I have tried both. If you eat them whole they come out whole. If you grind them up I suppose something is digested. I found that I was getting constipated at some point (it was when I ate egg whites for breakfast instead of whole eggs) so I needed to ease the passage so to speak. Worked well but tasted rank.

Solo
    Free Member

Weight makes a difference but performance matters more. Surely diet should boost performance as riders? Unless you just want to be thinner then diet.

Been in the gym the last 3 days of 4.
    I have to admit.
    I’ve noticed that I’m maintaining a higher cadence and covering more distance in the hour, than I was 4 weeks ago.
    I feel as if I have more torque too, being able to maintain a higher cadence and feeling stronger on the hills.
    😯

Its all terrible though.
    I’m not sure I like improving as a result of going to the gym.

Solo
    Free Member

Hmmm – 32″ waist isn’t exactly fat… suppose it’s relative to the rest of your body.

I’ve got my waist down to 30″ from 32″ and it’s during this time that veins have started showing all over the place, and other parts of the body that I thought were lean have developed more definition. It’s probably most telling in the face… even my skull feels leaner.

This is my point.
    I think I’ve shed the sensible stuff from upper and lower body.
    Its just a small amount around the middle that is very getting on my nerves.
    😕

So, it would seem that I’m on the threshold.
    But have failed to be just mental enough with my exercise and diet.

However, TSY, you are < 10 percent BF, no ?.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No idea Solo. I want to shed some muscle from my arms as I don’t need it, bar vanity. Can still pinch a little fat from my waist… so maybe I am.

Solo
    Free Member

DId I get that ^^ correct ?.

I was asking if you are less than 10 percent BF.

Sounds as if you are, Lol.

hilldodger
    Free Member

all the gain, none of the pain 🙂

tony24
    Free Member

Little bit of advice dont do what i did and completely cut all fat while trying to get lean. Cutting nearly all fat has ruined my performance over the past year. I upped my carb and protein intake got rid of the fats which considering fat transports nutrients around the body etc was a stupid mistake. Also my endurance dropped massively having no fats to use once the carbs have run out meant big time fatigue and malnourishment.

Just notice the amount of cheeses etc they eat in ther diet 🙂

Best way is balanced diet and a calories deficit .

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

With no way of measuring it Solo… I don’t honestly know.

Solo
    Free Member

none of the pain

Doesn’t that depend on whether you wipe ?.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Solo – agree Gym is best placed for improving power using static weights. Many of us concentrate on the legs aspects and forget the rest of the body that supports them to provide power. I have found that improving core, back, arms etc has provided an extra boost to performance. Important that you use the gym to increase power not size. Lots of repetitions, I did find over the winter that I had increased weight I think because of a fair amount of gym time and lifting progressively heavier weights.

Solo
    Free Member

Best way is balanced diet and a calories deficit

Probably true, but I’ve had to start calorie counting and that wasn’t in the original iScript…
    😉

Solo
    Free Member

PB.

I have introduced myself to the joy of the deadlift for that all over feeling of Ggrrr, when in the gym.

Its the bike bit that seems to have mysteriously improved.
    Now if I could have a few dry days.
    Oh, say on a weekend perhaps.
    Then I could get my road bike out and sample my real world bike awesomeness.
    😯

😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It could be improved glute and hamstring strength that is improving the pedalling Solo.

Doesn’t Cav say he cuts his portion sizes?

tony24
    Free Member

Calories counting is quick and simple with something like my fitness planner etc. makes keeping track easy enough you have to be honest though if you dont add this and that and cheat you cannot exapect to loae weight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Cav reflecting on the TdF, his diet, training and Olympic Glory…’ is closed to new replies.