Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Cauliflower Rice
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

How are we making it ricey these days? I have a mini-chopper (yeah, yeah) – would that do it? Or is it better to grate it?

Also, ideas to make it a bit more interesting? (I’m particularly thinking North African…) Finally, if anyone’s tried it and hated it, let us know.

brant
    Free Member

Grate. North African? Lemon zest, mint, pomegranite?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Cool…thanks!

ebygomm
    Free Member

I chop in the blender.

It makes great pizza bases if you add an egg

sam_underhill

Mini food processor thingy here. Just pulse until it looks ricey.

boltonjon

Its disgusting stuff!

ton

I thought your diet consisted of spuds darcy?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I had to google that never ever heard of it

Might make that later tonight

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yes ton, though I do eat quite a bit of a variety these days. Just probably not in your kind of quantities.

sandwicheater

Didn’t know this was a thing. Will give that a whirl this weekend, cheers DD.

Solo
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Yes ton, though I do eat quite a bit of a variety these days. Just probably not in your kind of quantities.

Something to aim for then…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I like to set myself attainable targets Solo.

zilog6128

I had to google that never ever heard of it

It’s always been an iDiet staple – although perhaps you have been sensible enough to avoid those threads!

I grate mine and fry with caraway seeds.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i just whizz it in my food processor on pulse until it’s more or less rice sized, then saute it briefly in coconut oil with maybe a chopped up fresh chilli and/or finely chopped spring onion chucked in.

ton

5 stone weight loss darcy? quite a target to aim for that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

5 stone weight loss darcy? quite a target to aim for that.

I’d never have the self-control ton. Though, I do appear to have enough not to have got to that stage in the first place.

jools182
    Free Member

Didn’t know this was a thing.

+1

it looks swful

andytherocketeer

saw cauli rice based pizza base somewhere (not here or idave, but probably some gluten free website) which looked alright.

I’d over do the cheese though to compensate and balance the diet.

ton

I’d never have the self-control ton. Though, I dod appear to have enough not to have got to that stage in the first place.

I takes a good and humble man, to learn from his mistakes darcy.

Solo
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Not so Awesome DD, today then.

Coconut oil, for frying (and mayonnaise), but keep the temp as low as possible, while still attaining the desired result…

ebygomm
    Free Member

The cauliflower pizza base is great, it’s a bit messy to make but you can do a load at once and freeze

Solo
    Free Member

Though, I do appear to have enough not to have got to that stage in the first place.

Definitely not awesome, sounds more like the decorators may be arriving soon.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Solo goes on the charm offensive and omits the charm

No I missed the idiet threads were they all like this 😯

zilog6128

They made the politics threads look harmonious 🙂

sandwicheater

Gave this a whirl on the weekend and I’m surprised how easy/tasty it is.

Based on nothing but the above I whizzed it in a food processor (bloody hell it stinks!!) and fried with some fennel, mustard and seasoned.

This will be a regular from now on instead of rice, cheers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I tried it on Friday night…used my mini-chopper and did it a couple of florets at a time…bit of oil, knob of butter, cumin, turmeric, pinch of garlic salt. Stir fried for a few minutes, then covered and let it cook over a low heat for a few more. Worked out very nicely indeed.

mogrim

Might give this a go later, although there’s something really depressing about the whole idea 🙁

No I missed the idiet threads were they all like this

Pretty much, just missing molgrips on this one.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I only tried it as we probably end up eating a bit too much rice here and it can get a bit boring. Just looking to cut down on simple carbs really and thought this would be interesting. I used it as an accompaniment for a north african squash and chickpea stew with some flatbreads. It seemed to go down well.

I’d reckon on an average cauliflower making enough for a few meals though. About half of what I whizzed up fed four of us. As a thing in itself, it was nice enough to eat again, not simply as a substitute. Takes a bit of care not to let it go mushy. 🙂 Give it a go.

chvck
    Free Member

I tried this last night, just blitz half a cauli and sauteed it, had it with beef bulgogi (albeit not very authentically made!). I enjoyed it. Wasn’t really using as a substitute for rice just an alternative (if that makes sense?) as I’ve had quite a lot of rice recently so was bored of it.

northernmatt

My missus just made this. It stinks.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Did she wash the cauliflower before cooking?

scotroutes

I tried the pizza base tonight. whizzed cauliflower with ground almond. It came out OK (the missus loved it) though I think I should have let the cauliflower cool down a bit before trying to strain it as handling the boiling dishcloth wasn’t exactly comfortable.

I might try it with cheese in the base next time, though even this simple version doesn’t taste of cauliflower.

andytherocketeer

looks good.
    http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/
    was the recipe I had bookmarked – cheese, egg and seasonings in the base

northernmatt

Yes DD she did wash it first. It was just as soon as she came to frying it in the pan it started smelling. She didn’t put anything in it to hide the smell either. I don’t like cauliflower unless coated in cheese sauce so didn’t try any.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’d imagine it would be a bit cauliflowery without anything in there to make it more interesting, yeah. 😀

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Cauliflower Rice’ is closed to new replies.