• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Cougar.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cats on campsites
  • K

Why don’t more Brits take their cats camping?

In Europe it seems to be a thing to go camping with your cat. Its something that I feel I’ve missed out on seeing, having not been to the Alps this year.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

with the recent warm dry spell, my cat has gone feral.

dont think i’d see him again if i took him camping. plus the local wildlife would be depleted worse than when the mink get out

K

I used to like the lead setups that some would have so the cat could patrol the whole pitch.

brads
    Free Member

Bird killing bastards !

I miss my cats.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Why don’t more Brits take their cats camping?

Probably because so many take their dogs and leave them off the lead….

grum
    Free Member

Don’t many Europeans basically take August off and move to a campsite? Makes more sense in that scenario.

Sorry for answering a joke thread with a serious answer.

dangeourbrain

It’s a safety thing, I just don’t think you need them here. In for instance France or Italy though, without a cat to kill off any songbird within a hundred yards meters of your tent there’s a distinct risk some drunk shotgun totting loon will blast you as to looked passably like a thrush and they could hear one somewhere in the valley.

dlr
    Free Member

I was in a car park up here in Northumberland a couple of years back and there was a French campervan there, bloke (presumably French) standing next to it with a cat on a lead…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I saw some folk camping with their cat on a lead. It looked both terrified and miserable!

I’ve got 4 cats. I think 1 might be ok with it but she’d probably prefer to stay at home

dangeourbrain

I saw some folk camping with their car on a lead.

I’m sure it was in the news last week that all the world is now unleaded?

bob_summers

Don’t many Europeans basically take August off and move to a campsite? Makes more sense in that scenario.

Can confirm. We habitually move between half a dozen sites in August and see many of the same people every year. Typically from within a 2h radius of the site, they’ll either have a static or get a caravan towed onsite from local storage in June and visit it on and off all summer. Works well if you have kids, they grow up seeing their friends every summer despite living in different parts of the country.

Don’t see many cats though!

K

It wasn’t a joke thread, but was triggered by the dog thread title.

Long summer holiday makes a lot of sense!

kayak23

bloke (presumably French) standing next to it with a cat on a lead…

Might have been a small dog that had the look of a cat.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Tend to see cats in big mobile homes from retired people who spend the whole summer on campsites around Europe. Can’t imagine it’s particularly nice for the cat. Cats tend to be territory fixated where as dogs are pack/ family orientated so the place is immaterial as long as they are with their pack. So the people either have the cat locked in the camper the whole time or on a lead.

dyna-ti

dogs are pack/ family orientated so the place is immaterial as long as they are with their pack

I’d disagree with that. Me and the mate, who has 2 dogs used to camp a lot, and if the dogs were free to roam, all was ok, but if they were on long leads, anyone who came near they would get very aggressive with.

convert

If someone could tell my stupid cat that going on a lead was a thing I might try it. The silly fekker just walks backwards in circles then falls over like one of those fainting goats.

Cougar

We bought a harness for our cat so we could take her for walks.

It went exactly as well as I predicted.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.