• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by matts.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Catlike "Whisper" helmets?
  • tealeith
    Free Member

The STW consensus seems to indicate that the Whisper is a very nice helmet and I like the looks of them so went to purchase one yesterday. It was a medium size and fitted well but with the most ridiculously long straps I’d ever seen. The chap in the shop agreed when I showed him.
    There was no way of effectively doubling the spare back onto itself and through the buckle thing built into the strap so it would just be left dangling.

Does anyone own of these helmets and can comment please? Is yours the same?

I’ve left the purchase for a moment because it would be too annoying having that flapping around and I wonder whether this particular helmet had a manufacturing anomaly. The shop are getting another one in for me but this will be over a week away.

Bregante

I have a Catlike Leaf and a Whisper. The straps were ridiculously long on both. I just cut them and then burnt the cut ends slightly over a gas hob. Haven’t frayed yet.

ThePinkster

I had a Leaf and did what Bregante says.

Worked fine until I destroyed it at BPW.

krixmeister

Same as above – have a Whisper, very happy with it, I just cut the straps and melted the ends. All good. Yes, it would be handy to have a proper stretchy loop or something to manage the extra strap, but not a deal-breaker.

Now, the only downside I have with the Whisper (and I am otherwise happy with it) I’ve found – it’s a right pain to scratch any itches on my head. The smaller holes, while there are a lot of them, don’t ever seem to be near enough to the itch to get my finger in!

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above I have a Leaf and cut the ends diagonally, not sure I singed them. But they’ve been fine.

Surely the shop at least had the common sense to suggest a pair of scissors 🙂

imnotverygood

As everybody else has said. Just cut the straps and (optionally) singe the ends. Nice helmet, no idea wht the straps are left so long. Extremely well ventilated.

tealeith
    Free Member

Thanks everyone I had thought about cutting the straps and then burning the ends. Will buy it now and do the same! It was Evans bike shop by the way

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Do the cut and singe on all my helmet straps once I’ve got the length right, never owned a Cat-like but also don’t want to be riding round with excess flappy straps. And it’s not like you’re worried about preserving it for re-sale.

tealeith
    Free Member

Yep, just seems a bit of a bodge for such a nice (and expensive) helmet.

The long straps just don’t make sense. The length can’t be for someone with a enormous face/head as the lid itself wouldn’t fit up top. Is a very odd mismatch but will make the cut, cheers all again – atleast I know they’re all like this now.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

They are a bit 2012 aren’t they? 😉 😛

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I took mine to the chandlery down the road for the neatest melt-cut. I needed to before I tripped over the excess strap!

atlaz
    Free Member

Whisper Plus here and I also cut the straps and then sealed with a lighter

scaled
    Free Member

Don’t forget suncream with a cat-like helmet. You’ll look like a leopard otherwise.

tealeith
    Free Member

Ha ha. Will do. Cheers.

rocketman
    Free Member

USed to have a Bell with unfeasibly long straps. Trimmed them with scissors but because I like to live on the edge I didn’t seal them wohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

stumpy01

My Giro is the same – stupidly long straps – better than too short, I suppose. Perhaps they make them like this for Jimmy Hill chins?

Anyhoo – keep meaning to cutting & melting the ends, but only think of it when on the bike!

tealeith
    Free Member

If they don’t frey at the ends then no need to seal with a flame?

matts
    Free Member

The Whisper is only a Whisper by name. It generates a large amount of wind noise. Bear that in mind in case you’re planning on doing much fast road riding.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Catlike "Whisper" helmets?’ is closed to new replies.