Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • CATHRO MADE IT šŸšŸ‘
  • moonsaballoon

Ben Cathro has qualified for the snowshoe final , chuffed for him . 44th so pretty convincingly too .

duncancallum

Brilliant

jimmy748

Dan Slack qualified 20th!

scaredypants

šŸ‘ŠšŸ‘šŸšµā€ā™‚ļøšŸ¦‡šŸ’©ā¬

snotrag

Get in Ben! I was just about to head to pinkbike to see the results of qually.

Looking forward to tea time mid week racing tomorrow!

weeksy

Problem is, itā€™s going to xlash with Liverpool Vs Milan

kayak23

Brilliant.

He should do a line choice video but big up all the rubbish ones šŸ‘Œ

steveh

Quite a lot less folk trying at this round than normal (75 men ish from memory), but I was still well chuffed when I saw he was in!

ayjaydoubleyou

Quite a lot less folk trying at this round than normal (75 men ish from memory), but I was still well chuffed when I saw he was in!

A few months ago there was talk that any non US citizens needed to be on a pro-team to get the elite athlete (and support staff) exemption from quarantine.

And without that, it was physically impossible to do both lenzerheide and snowshoe

dirkpitt74

Go on Ben!
    Great news ā€“ that guy always has a smile, also enjoying his ā€˜how to bikeā€™ video series too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Letā€™s start a petition to get him on the live feed.

nickc

Many of the top Frenchies are notable by their absence. I donā€™t think itā€™ll make a difference to Benā€™s qualifying though!

chakaping
    Free Member

He beat some fast riders, too many of them for it to have been a fluke.

Looking at the DNFs, Iā€™d guess it might be an easy track to crash on?

tomparkin

Just behind Phil Atwil, who makes it into the streamed coverage quite a lot ā€” so is there hope to see Cathroā€™s run on the tellybox?

chakaping
    Free Member

If heā€™s put in one of the fastest runs they might open the coverage with a recap of him.

pimpingimp
    Free Member

If I were him Iā€™d be updating my race CV to say ā€œout performed Greg Minaar in his world championship winning year at the snowshoe WCā€

ayjaydoubleyou

Yeah, whoever is on the hotseat when coverage starts gets a televised recap of their run. Time to pull a stunner out Ben.

tomparkin

Fingers crossed then. It would be nice to see everyoneā€™s favorite line-choice chap in the RB feed, not least to hear what Warner might have to say about him šŸ˜€

desperatebicycle

Womenā€™s Race 1 is on Red Bull TV now. Not sure if the men will followā€¦

Proper rocky, bumpy course !

Superb racing from the women there. šŸ˜€

desperatebicycle

Yep, Menā€™s Race 1 coming up on Red Bull

frogstomp

Cathro goes at 18:46 by the looks of it.. wonā€™t be on the live feed but you can watch the live timing on the UCI website.

Looks like he had a bit of a crash earlier today though.

frogstomp

Good effort! Down in one piece and 4 seconds quicker than his quali time.

desperatebicycle

Cathro in 21st currently. After a major wheel explosion for Daprela.

desperatebicycle

Well, it wasnā€™t Cathro! What a great result!

weeksy

Just caught up with thisā€¦ i certainly wasnā€™t expecting that result !

ayjaydoubleyou

Only just noticed he was racing in the British Cycling HSBC kit, rather than his normal DHARCO shirt.
    Iā€™ve never quite understood the reasoning behind the descision to wear the National Jersey or not, Cathro must have enough sponsors from SantaCruz, Pinkbike and so on that they would want to be represented? Or are they only sponsoring Ben the Videographer not Ben the Racer?

I cant imagine British Cycling giving much if any support to a ā€œmaybe just about qualifierā€

chakaping
    Free Member

He didnā€™t have enough points to qualify to race, but that can be circumvented by wearing the national jersey.

Does he get any points for his 40th place finish though?

dirkpitt74

40th place bagged him 20 points ā€“ not sure how that translates to UCI points, but Iā€™m assuming he must have picked some up somewhere to be allowed to enter?

ayjaydoubleyou

Knew there would be a logical reason.

Does he get any points for his 40th place finish though?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/overall-standings-after-the-snowshoe-dh-world-cup-2021-race-1.html

Notably hes above Wyn, Kaos, Jack Reading. Should have no problem doing the full season next year.

mrhoppy

From what I can see from his national champs, national series and world cup results he should now have enough points to qualify for World Cup races next year.

Although who knows the points allocations are fairly complicated.

stanfree
    Free Member

Looks like he has done it again , well done Ben .

sharkattack

I knew Cathro was fast but Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m surprised by how well heā€™s done. Heā€™s qualified faster than a whole load of WC regulars and heā€™s sitting just in front of Adam Brayton.

Why the hell did he ever quit?

Northwind

sharkattack
    Free Member

The lack of skinsuits.

Oh ok. At the time he said it was costing too much and taking too much time and he had to choose either racing or the coaching business.

dc1988

Only a select few make big money out of DH racing,Ā  being good isnā€™t enough. Social media wasnā€™t really around in the he same way when he was first racing and itā€™s really helped his cause now as heā€™s very marketable.

frogstomp

Qualified in 45th but caught and was held up by the guy in front of him (see his FB for POV) so would have been into the 30s uninterrupted I reckon.

dirkpitt74

Also noticed Jim Munro qualified 60th for Atherton ā€“ good effort considering no one had heard of him until he raced Hard Line.

tomparkin

Heā€™s qualified faster than a whole load of WC regulars and heā€™s sitting just in front of Adam Brayton.

Brayton is perhaps a good comparison. Heā€™s obviously a great rider, sponsored, makes the RB live feed here and there.

Watching his vlog though heā€™s been doing races out the back of a transit van, doing his own spannering, etc.

Itā€™s probably not a great way to get rich.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Probably a good way to lose money.

stanfree
    Free Member

Im sure Tahnee Seagrave said in Duncan Shaws podcast a win gets you 3k. Obviously most of the top girls and guys are on a monthly wage as well. Iā€™ve heard 50 to 60k mentioned for guys that regularly finish top 10 but obviously Vergier , bruni and co will be on more. Add on to that some of the sponsorship deals and the top guys still make decent money.
    Its a real shame how Downhill , XC and BMX seems to be ignored for road riding and even in a way CX.
    Still good luck to Ben , who would have thought when he jacked in downhill first time round to concentrate on sickskills how well he would do years later with Cathrovision and pinkbike. Seems a nice guy so well deserved.

sharkattack

Most people will never get rich from racing but to be honest the handful of pros and WC regulars that Iā€™ve known donā€™t have the same financial concerns as most people.

Being an international dirtbag and slumming it in dirty vans and cheap hotels is all part of the fun. Then itā€™s back to your parents country mansion to spend the off season racing motocross or something.

Not that Iā€™m jealous.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ā€˜CATHRO MADE IT šŸšŸ‘ā€™ is closed to new replies.