Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Catheter Ablation
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

After 30 odd years of living with tachycardia, I’ve finally had enough and going into hospital for a catheter ablation procedure on Tuesday.  I’m happy with most of the stuff surrounding it, and fingers crossed it’ll be the end of my hamster heart (SVT) episodes.

I know a few folk on here have had similar things themselves, and was wondering how they found the road to getting back on the bike afterwards?

MSP

I was suffering with afib and atril flutter permanently for a few years, it took two courses of ablation to fix, but I was back on the bike after a few weeks and felt great, better than I had for years. That was in august, now I am just rebuilding the fitness I lost over those years and am feeling better every week.

ton

I had cardiac ablations twice. in through the groin.

both times proved unsuccessful.

off all the procedures I have had, they were the worst.  sorry to tell you that.

ended up with a frozen shoulder after one of the times.  ;o)

Superficial
    Free Member

LittleNose, you should be aware that catheter ablations for AF are a different kettle of fish. AF ablations (like MSP and ton have had) are often complex, and the benefit/risk ratio is very different to the more ‘classical’ EP procedure it sounds like you’ll be having.

I’d expect you to get back on a bike after a week or so.  The groin is the main issue – it can be a bit sore and we usually advise a few days off work with gentle walking only.

I don’t know your history, and I’m not your doctor etc so I’m not going to comment too much, but the above comments are not typical of people coming for simple EP studies 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Ton, how did you get a frozen shoulder and more importantly, how did you resolve it? I’ve got the same now after breaking my collar bone.

ton

when you have a cardiac ablation, you are laid out on a very flat narrow table.

for 7 hours the last time. with no support for your head, and you are told to keep totally still for the whole procedure.

shoulder wouldn’t move for a couple of days after. had some morphine for the pain.

howarthp

Hi – two cardiac ablations, the latest in May, for AFib. First one lasted for about 1 year, second one seems to be holding up OK. I was fine post op, had a week off work and gradually started cycling after that

wheeleeneelee
    Free Member

I had a week to recover then back at the gym and out on bike. No issues since. I wish I’d done it sooner.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input folks.

It’s something I’ve actively put off for approx 20 years, but this last year or so my 230+ bpm (hamster heart) symptoms have occurred more frequently than I’ve been happy to put up with.

The following two facts have helped swing it for me:

1/ I’m heading towards 50 at an alarming rate, I figure it’s easier to recover from them there operation things when you’re younger.

2/ I think if I end up with a pace maker now, then at least I’ve got a good way through life before that, and if not, then I’ve got a good way left in life to enjoy without SVT events.

Ton – sorry to hear your op had issues that bothered your shoulder to the point of needing morphine 1

superficial – cheers for the input and clarity on this thread.

everyone else – thanks again for the input… I’m feeling pretty positive about it.  1 week for getting back to turning pedals and enjoying the outdoors is great news to me !

ton

littlenose, i got sorted in the end, a ablation would never have fixed it as it turned out.

good luck mate, hope you have a good happy outcome. keep well.

cheers_drive

Good luck with the ablation. I had cryo ablation for AF back in February. I pretty squeamish but the worse part for me was the cannula being inserted. As Ton mentioned the table is very narrow and uncomfortable even under mild sedation. The worse thing for me is that as I was being prepped on the table I felt the desperate need to per. Mentioned it to the nurse who then cut my paper pants open and gave me a cardboard bed pan. I got major stage fright and just lay there cock in hand for 5 minuted until I had to say false alarm.

Afterwards I did some light riding on the turbo in the second week, gradually ramping up until I was flat out after 3 months.

jamj1974

Has angiogram a couple of months ago.  Procedure was fine but had a sore groin for a few days afterwards.  Only been on the bike once since a couple of weeks after and that ached a bit bit was ok.  I think now would be totally fine.

Twodogs

Had a catheter ablation for AF 2.5 years ago.apparently it got “exciting” (surgeon’s words) at one point – but they sorted it while I was still under and I didn’t ened up with a pacemaker.  Worst part tas the 4+ hours of being under.  Back on bike after a week.

LittleNose
    Free Member

That’s that done and dusted and I’m sitting back in my room with tea and biscuits  I thought I’d take this moment to wrap up this thread.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone- it’s been interesting to read the different experiences.

My procedure went well, they found the offending fibres (a whole bunch of them), and made some zaps. Doc reckons I’ve a 95% chance of total success (no more episodes).

no sedation until the zapping started, but the feelings of the probes poking about in my chest was very weird.  One moment I felt it was coming up my throat.  Best description was a bundle of sticks tuck in your throat at random moments, and sometimes bits of pressure  here and there.

The first ablation was painless, but after that I felt some heat and then pain, and for the last two zaps I had sedation and morphine – hello fairies.

Tired out, but feeling exhilarated that it’s done and I may be free of the hamster heart once and for all !

Mot answer my original question, I’ve been advised not to ride for 3 weeks due to my groin wound. Apparently my heart would be good to go tomorrow.

happy riding everyone

ton

good stuff.

cheers_drive

Good new.

I rode a bit in second week and the entry point got a mild infection so best listen to the advice

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Catheter Ablation’ is closed to new replies.